PDA

View Full Version : Dunstan Chestnuts at some Wal-marts

Pabuckhunter60
04-17-2012, 09:16 AM
I received an e-mail from Realtree nurseries that their Dunstan Chestnut trees were now being sold at some Wal-marts. You can find out which stores have them by going to the realtree web site. I bought four trees yesterday, $24.95 each. The trees look great!

flinginairos
04-17-2012, 11:25 AM
My local walmart is supposed to have them. I called and they only have the crab apples. I might go this weekend and get a couple. I was hoping they had the chestnuts :(

huntmgr409
04-17-2012, 09:56 PM
Got 3 today and a sawtooth. Met a guy who drove over 2 hours from Syracuse to buy them.
They do look good. Looking forward to getting them in the ground.

Redonthehead
04-17-2012, 10:14 PM
"My" Walmart got their delivery last night. Maybe 20? dunstans plus the others. I took home four choice ones - all over 6 foot tall over the pot. Three have catkins.

johnrpb
04-17-2012, 11:03 PM
Can anyone post some pictures of these?

deertrainer
04-18-2012, 08:10 AM
Yes sir, got mine Monday.:D
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j383/deertrainer13/photobucket-33974-1334626899295.jpg

Scarecrow
04-18-2012, 08:36 AM
Got 3 today and a sawtooth. Met a guy who drove over 2 hours from Syracuse to buy them.
They do look good. Looking forward to getting them in the ground.

Mark I stopped and checked this past Saturday and didn't see any :confused: . They must have arrived since. Where than any left :rolleyes:
I'll be up Friday thru Sunday so I'll run over Walmart and check.
If they're sold out I'll stop at Lowes and grab 2 more Keiffers ;)
Hopefully some well needed rain this weekend.

Chris/OH
04-18-2012, 08:41 AM
Wish they had them closer to me. Might have to make a couple hour trip to pick a couple up.

CuttnRun
04-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Drove 1 1/2 hr to the closet Walmart that had them in Chippewa, Pa. I picked up 10 of them. Cutt

WTNUT
04-18-2012, 10:36 PM
I went to bed this evening. Checked the forum and saw this thread. Got out of bed and dressed. Drove 30 minutes and bought the last three they had! I got a 9 footer and two five feet tall or so. My wife says she is going to have me committed tomorrow morning so you might be able to buy my trees from her by late afternoon!

WTNUT
04-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Yes sir, got mine Monday.:D
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j383/deertrainer13/photobucket-33974-1334626899295.jpg

How many did your store have? I got the sense ours may have only had six to eight to start with.

Redonthehead
04-18-2012, 11:07 PM
Note the trees stacked and shrink wrapped on the pallets in the background. Looks like the batch on the right are sawtooths that haven't been cracked open yet.

StevenJ
04-18-2012, 11:28 PM
They stocked each store with 35 each Dunstan Chestnuts and Sawtooth oaks. That's what is seen in the unwrapped pallet in Deertrainers pic.

Dogwood
04-19-2012, 06:13 AM
Nearest store to me is almost 4 hours away. I'll just wait and pick some up at the Land & Wildlife Expo. Anyone ordered trees this size from them? What did freight cost to get them to your location?

NYSupersportsman
04-19-2012, 07:25 AM
You cant order trees that size from them. I ordered 10 dunstan seedlings and paid darn near what walmart is charging with shipping..... The nearest walmart in almost 4 hours from me so I guess I am going to just plant my seedlings. I really wish they had them closer to me! I would love to start my orchard with trees that big!

Dogwood
04-19-2012, 07:56 AM
You cant order trees that size from them.
Oh, now... Sure you can. You just gotta get the right person on the phone and talk sweet to'em. :D ;) If WalMart can get a pallet shipped to them and sell them for $25, and make a profit, then I can get a pallet for comparable price, delivered ($25/tree). And, hopefully, cheaper than that.
I don't really have time to do it, this year, anyway. But, I'll see what I can't make happen, for next year.

mark1427
04-19-2012, 01:09 PM
wouldnt want to miss an oportunity would ya ;) . being the demand went so well maybe wally world will request a rush shippment of some more.

gonna check the store near us but surely they have been hit pretty good.
went last week and they either didnt have em or they were already gone will check though.

CrazyED
04-19-2012, 02:18 PM
Oh, now... Sure you can. You just gotta get the right person on the phone and talk sweet to'em. :D ;) If WalMart can get a pallet shipped to them and sell them for $25, and make a profit, then I can get a pallet for comparable price, delivered ($25/tree). And, hopefully, cheaper than that.
I don't really have time to do it, this year, anyway. But, I'll see what I can't make happen, for next year.

Walmart has buying power. 50 stores x 30 trees is 1500 trees for chestnuts alone. Factor in the other stuff they are selling like sawtooths and crabs. I think you will have to buy a heck of a lot of trees to get walmart pricing.

Dogwood
04-19-2012, 03:14 PM
Walmart has buying power. 50 stores x 30 trees is 1500 trees for chestnuts alone. Factor in the other stuff they are selling like sawtooths and crabs. I think you will have to buy a heck of a lot of trees to get walmart pricing.
Yea, I did the math. But, where there's a will, there's almost always a way. I can have buying power, too. Typically, all one needs to do to get 'dealer pricing', is be willing to make a committment to 'deal', for the supplier. I may not need 1,500+ trees, but I could compile a bulk order for those in my network of habitat junkies, and have a semi-load delivered, if so inclined. So could any of you, for that matter.
There is a blurb about coordinating group orders for QDMA Branch fund raising efforts, on the Realtree Nursery website. That option has already been made available. My Branch has done this type effort with fruit trees, from Morse Nursery, for the last two years, but we don't do it as a fund raiser; we just pass the savings on to our Branch members.

johnrpb
04-19-2012, 03:23 PM

Ed,
Going to have to break my usual trend and disagree with you on this one. Gotta remember that Wal-mart didn't pay realtree the price per tree that they are charging in there stores. Most likely they were paid 50%-60% (if they were lucky) of what wal-mart is selling them for. RealTree would probably be thrilled to get 25 bucks a tree from Dogwood (assuming he covers shipping) compared to the $10-$15 per tree from walmart.

T@O
04-19-2012, 08:50 PM
i called walmart for a week before they came as soon as i heard they were in me and my buddy left work drove 2 hours. they are definatley nice trees and planted and caged tonight. im sure they will sell them next year as they probably going like hot cakes.

cagantpr
04-19-2012, 09:00 PM
I am feeling a little abused. Today I received my $240 (10 trees incl UPS) order from Realtree. Basically, it was a 2 inch diameter bundle of 2 foot bare sticks. It was so depressing, I just spent $211 more at the Lancaster PA Walmart for a full pickup load of them (8 trees inc. tax). All 8 are containered, fully leafed, and range from 7 to 9 feet tall.

I will post a pic of the two purchases tomorrow. Its almost comical. On the bright side, I get to plant 18 Dunstans tomorrow.

BTW, the Lancaster Walmart opened up their shipment of 36 this morning. After I left at 7:00, they had 23 remaining but they had been getting calls all day and someone was supposed to be picking up 5 early tomorrow morning.

bigeight
04-19-2012, 09:39 PM
I am feeling a little abused. Today I received my $240 (10 trees incl UPS) order from Realtree. Basically, it was a 2 inch diameter bundle of 2 foot bare sticks. It was so depressing, I just spent $211 more at the Lancaster PA Walmart for a full pickup load of them (8 trees inc. tax). All 8 are containered, fully leafed, and range from 7 to 9 feet tall.

I will post a pic of the two purchases tomorrow. Its almost comical. On the bright side, I get to plant 18 Dunstans tomorrow.

BTW, the Lancaster Walmart opened up their shipment of 36 this morning. After I left at 7:00, they had 23 remaining but they had been getting calls all day and someone was supposed to be picking up 5 early tomorrow morning.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw pics of peoples "ordered" trees compared to the potted ones at Wally world. Night and day difference.

Amazing they can sell them that size potted /shipped, when they are selling bare root saplings at the same exact price. I am sure the bare root ones will catch up and in 5 yrs you won't be able to tell the difference. Good in investment either way:)

CrazyED
04-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Yea, I did the math. But, where there's a will, there's almost always a way. I can have buying power, too. Typically, all one needs to do to get 'dealer pricing', is be willing to make a committment to 'deal', for the supplier. I may not need 1,500+ trees, but I could compile a bulk order for those in my network of habitat junkies, and have a semi-load delivered, if so inclined. So could any of you, for that matter.
There is a blurb about coordinating group orders for QDMA Branch fund raising efforts, on the Realtree Nursery website. That option has already been made available. My Branch has done this type effort with fruit trees, from Morse Nursery, for the last two years, but we don't do it as a fund raiser; we just pass the savings on to our Branch members.

Well do it up next year and let us know how it works out for you.

Edit: Or i'll let you know what they tell me. I just requested a quote (via email) for a full semi load to milwaukee.

CrazyED
04-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Here you go.....Do it up fellas. $22k for a truckload of Dunstans.
-------
Hi Matt - Thanks for the inquiry. We have 3-4000 2-year Chestnuts still available in 3 gallon pots -if you get a truckload we can sell them for $12.50 (they are $15.00 if you are just purchasing a few). We can fit 1200-1500 on a 53' semi, and 600-750 on a 26' box truck. We can arrange a semi load with a truck broker, the approx price is $3000-3500 for one pick and one drop, our farm to Chicago, slightly more if farther away.

cagantpr
04-20-2012, 10:40 PM
Here they are, side-by-side. $211 worth on the left, $240 worth on the right (in white bag, leaning against spreader lever bar). $451 for 18 trees makes that $22K truckload seem sort of reasonable, actually.

Double D Farms
04-20-2012, 10:59 PM
Drove 100 miles to Terre Haute, IN on Wednesday & picked up 10 Dunstans to take 70 miles south to our farm in KY. They had 40 according to the sales clerk (she looked it up for me) 6' to 9' tall. Getting them planted next week. I have been calling Realtree for weeks to find out when they would ship. I got an email from them Monday. They did say that this is a test deal with Wally World & if it goes well there should be more stores & more varieties next year.

IA Monsterbuck
04-21-2012, 12:50 AM
So what's so great about dunston oaks? Clue me in, never heard of them.:confused:

Rockin' G Ranch
04-21-2012, 07:28 AM
So what's so great about dunston oaks? Clue me in, never heard of them.:confused:

I've been told that deer will walk past white oak acorns to get to Chestnuts.

BTW, there is another thread on Realtree trees at Wal Mart on the Habitat forum.

Pabuckhunter60
04-21-2012, 10:24 AM
BTW Save your receipt, as Wal Mart has a one year warranty, on their nursery stock.:)

jsasker007
04-21-2012, 11:19 AM
How long will it take for the sticks in the white bag to look like the ones from wally world?I bought a bag of sticks by the way.:o

bigeight
04-21-2012, 12:11 PM
I would think if they were planted in good soil, taken care of, etc. They would be that size the next year.:)

letemgrow
04-21-2012, 02:30 PM
I would think if they were planted in good soil, taken care of, etc. They would be that size the next year.:)

I agree, chestnuts grow very fast in good conditions.

jsasker007
04-21-2012, 02:45 PM
I can live with that--thanks.

wfontjr
04-21-2012, 04:21 PM
thanks for the information, just got 5 chestnuts in beaumont texas

cutman
04-21-2012, 04:54 PM
After reading these threads over the last couple of days I really wanted some Dunstan Chestnuts. Unfortunately, I couldn't justify the 2 hour drive to the closes Wal-Mart that received the trees. It then occurred to me that my mom was passing by one of the stores today and she just picked up 5 trees for me.

Do I need to plant them all together in a grove or can they be spread out a little bit around the farm?

Rockin' G Ranch
04-21-2012, 05:12 PM
Do I need to plant them all together in a grove or can they be spread out a little bit around the farm?

According to the Realtree website they are not self-pollinating so it takes 2 trees pretty close to each other for proper pollination.

flinginairos
04-21-2012, 06:40 PM
I went to my local store today an they had sawtooth oaks, persimmon, chestnuts and crab apples. I picked up two crab apples that were 7' tall. All the trees looked really good. I am going back next week to get chestnuts!!

cheyenne19
04-21-2012, 07:34 PM
I saw this thread on Friday and headed to a neighboring walmart to pick some up. Thanks for the info.

IA Monsterbuck
04-21-2012, 11:45 PM
Ok. Again a newbie here but why drive 2a or 3is hours for a chestnut tree at Wally world? Don't tree nurseries sell chestnut trees? Is this Duncan variety some totally different variety from the other chestnut trees out there?

cheyenne19
04-22-2012, 12:44 AM
They are all different in some way, as they aren't american chestnuts. I have no experience with these, but people here speak highly of them. I also didn't go that far out of my way to get them. If you want dunstans this is the best way. One of these threads has a picture of the trees you can get directly from the nursery versus the ones you can get from walmart.

NYSupersportsman
04-22-2012, 10:14 AM
So when he said $15 if your just getting a few? Does that mean I can call them and order some larger ones for $15 + shipping?

Here you go.....Do it up fellas. $22k for a truckload of Dunstans.
-------
Hi Matt - Thanks for the inquiry. We have 3-4000 2-year Chestnuts still available in 3 gallon pots -if you get a truckload we can sell them for $12.50 (they are $15.00 if you are just purchasing a few). We can fit 1200-1500 on a 53' semi, and 600-750 on a 26' box truck. We can arrange a semi load with a truck broker, the approx price is $3000-3500 for one pick and one drop, our farm to Chicago, slightly more if farther away.

Rockin' G Ranch
04-22-2012, 10:57 AM
So when he said $15 if your just getting a few? Does that mean I can call them and order some larger ones for $15 + shipping?

Nope. They do not ship large trees in small orders. You must pick-up small oders of anything larger than a seedling. The seedling is $24.95 each + shipping. Buying a 3 gal pot plant from Wal Mart is actually cheaper than a seedling.
I bought 4 seedlings earlier this year from them and 1 has died. Not sure why but I hope they will replace it free. The other 3 are doing very well. See my thread in Habitat on Chestnut trees.

https://realtreenursery.ishopserver.com/DUNSTAN-CHESTNUT-TREES-Dunstan-Chestnut-Trees-54451.Item.html

NYSupersportsman
04-22-2012, 03:28 PM
I see. Well I have 10 dunstan seedlings coming from Chestnut hill tree farm on friday. I will be planting them this weekend. Obviously I wish I had bigger trees to plant but I live in NY and the nursery is in Florida so its not happening. Thanks for the info.

Gunpowder
04-26-2012, 12:15 AM
Why not wait for the real thing? Hate to introduce a nonnative species. remember Honeysuckle?

http://www.acf.org/mission_history.php

The American Chestnut Society is in their final stage of introducing an American Chestnut with backcrossed with the Chinese to transfer the immunity gene.

j-bo
04-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Very interested in these and the sawtooths..heck crab apples too.

Anyone in the South see these at walmart?

baybayrn
04-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Very interested in these and the sawtooths..heck crab apples too.

Anyone in the South see these at walmart?

not in my area. there was three wal marts in La. that had the trees. one in north la, one central la, and one in south la. the one in north la is in the sheveport area, a bit to far for me to drive. check realtree site to see where the wal mart is located in your area.

SJWhitetail
04-26-2012, 02:38 PM
https://realtreenursery.ishopserver.com/Sites/112/Images/Realtree%20Nursery%20Walmart%20Stores.pdf

I just realized a Walmart 30 minutes from me is carrying.:D

La. habitat guy
04-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Walmart in Opelousas,La. Has them. Bought 4 . They are beautiful

j-bo
04-27-2012, 09:58 AM
https://realtreenursery.ishopserver.com/Sites/112/Images/Realtree%20Nursery%20Walmart%20Stores.pdf

I just realized a Walmart 30 minutes from me is carrying.:D

Thanks for the link! Heading today after work. Hope they have some.

Now the questions... for small areas, are 2-4 trees enough, just chestnuts?

What are the strategies you are using?

I was thinking of putting 2-3 trees by each food plot/hunting area.

I do have a plot where I could just make a chestnut stand of 10+ trees too.

SJWhitetail
04-27-2012, 10:51 AM
Got mine last night. Four sawtooth's on the right, four chestnut's in the middle and three crab apple's on the left.

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x330/sjwhitetail/IMAG0180.jpg

j-bo
04-30-2012, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the link! Heading today after work. Hope they have some.

Now the questions... for small areas, are 2-4 trees enough, just chestnuts?

What are the strategies you are using?

I was thinking of putting 2-3 trees by each food plot/hunting area.

I do have a plot where I could just make a chestnut stand of 10+ trees too.

Anyone care to share?

cutman
04-30-2012, 07:03 PM
I planted two dunstans together in one spot and three in another. I'm afraid they might be slightly too slightly too close to each other but it probably won't matter.

letemgrow
04-30-2012, 07:21 PM
My biggest question about the Dunstans....why in the world was the original American Chestnut tree from OH, not grafted to keep the pure American strain? Baffling to say the least since it was completely healthy in a stand of dying chestnuts to the blight.

flinginairos
05-01-2012, 10:43 PM
I got my crab apples planted,staked and caged this evening. For you guys that know a bit about apples, how old are these trees that are over 6' tall? I put up temporary caging since the stuff I had was only three feet tall. How high should I go? 5 feet?

popeyoung9
05-02-2012, 01:30 AM
I got my crab apples planted,staked and caged this evening. For you guys that know a bit about apples, how old are these trees that are over 6' tall? I put up temporary caging since the stuff I had was only three feet tall. How high should I go? 5 feet?

I have to go 6 feet galvanized wire with t-posts or the deer snort them. The wire costs $1/foot needing 10 feet for a 3 foot basket (it's a pi formula). I am planting 60 white oak and Dunstans next week. 600 feet of wire, 120 t-posts. 1,000 norways and 600 pieces of shrubs from MDC. I am friggin nuts. I hope my kids enjoy the trees!:D