PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here have a Ford 8N?

Illinoishunter102
04-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Ive been looking at getting one and just wanna know if it will do me well. These tractors are about 27 hp and il be using it for turning dirt over with a tiller, bottom plow and maybe towing a manure spreader. Any info about these tractors would be appreciated!

Sand County
04-09-2012, 08:25 AM
We have an 8N--I think they're actually 23 hp. As far as keeping it running, it is lawn-mower simple. I don't think you could use a rotary tiller with it--the ground speed is too fast (unless you have one of those stepped down transmissions---I think it's a Sherman). It's been a pretty decent tractor, but I'd still like something bigger, with 4wd, and with a loader---something you realize after having one for a while.
Be prepared to do lots of "little" fixes on it---the age of these machines demands it, but generally, if you have fuel flow and spark, you'll be fine!

Brad N
04-09-2012, 11:07 AM
My dad bought a 1952 8N last summer. For initial ground breaking, I barrowed a 6' box blade & set the teeth deep. At first the 8N wouldn't pull it with the teeth all the way in the ground, I had to keep adjusteing the depth as I drove around. After a few passes it was "dug" up enough that I switched to our 6.5' 3 point disc. That broke up the clumps pretty well.

I too would like a bigger tractor with 4 wheel drive, but for now, the 8N is running great & working well.

Thanks,
Brad

THOMAS9N
04-09-2012, 05:45 PM
don't let these guys scare you,an 8n will do you a good job.i have a 9n and does everything i ask it to do. i have a 2bottom plow ,disc,harrow and bush-hog. a tiller won't work well on any "n".try and plow with a 4wd 27 to 30 horse jd you will like the n better.if you have 20,000 grand to spend get a 4wd deere, if your like me a 1000$ n works good!

momatt
04-09-2012, 05:48 PM
I started with one. If its in good shape and the draft control works, with loaded tires it will pull a two bottom plow (I pulled a 2-14 in first gear) and handle a 6 foot 4 gang disc (20 total discs) well. The disc wont cut for crap unless you plow first. Mine handled a 4 foot mower in grass over the hood easily. Will pull a two row planter and a 12 foot cultipacker easily. I did 7 acres of plots with mine, just takes a little more time. Before you buy I'd check the compression and the governor. Lots of times the governor needs new race and bearings. More than likely it will need a new cam follower pin and that means doing a top end hydraulic rebuild to get the draft control linkage properly adjusted. With an implement on or standing on the 3 point, shut it off with it all the way up and see if it drifts down. I woudn't pay more than 2K in my location for an n in good shape. Lots of times you can get a newer tractor or one with more features and power for not much more. One that is often available cheaper and is more tractor is an old allis wd-45.

ruskbucks
04-09-2012, 07:27 PM
We have a 2n very similar. My oppinion is these little tractors is tey seem to last forever. I know they made alot of them but they seem to be around everywhere. I think this is why they are so resonably priced. I think that its a good sign that there are so many still around. How much land do you plan on planting, although I like my ford if I had more than a few acres to do I would try to get something around 40 horse, unless you have a lot of free time. My land is 5 hrs away, I plant around 7 acres. I have a 65 hp Oliver and a 45 hp Massey and they don't seem like overkill, and sometimes I still have to rush to get everything in on a weekend.

Hunter180
04-09-2012, 08:13 PM
We got a '48 I believe. Great little tractors but it takes all day to disc and plant 4.5 acres. 5.5 disc and 12' planter. And the disc really doesn't have enough weight to get down in the ground. Got all the weight we can put on it until the front wheels lift off the ground. I would try to spend a little more and get something with hydrologics. You won't regret it when it takes all day and the gas spent, even though the n's are some gas sippers

Briar Hill Brittanys
04-09-2012, 10:01 PM
I've had a 50 8N for about 10 years to maintain our 20 acres. I use it to brush hog, plow, disc, spray, cultivate, take care of the drive, haul firewood, push snow, plant, drill, broadcast, haul the trashcans to the end of the drive, move trailers, bring the deer in from the woods, haul water to our garden patch......etc. It is easy to maintain, parts are readily available (both new and used parts), easy on fuel, easy to get around with, reliable, and it's paid for. It doesn't have live hydrualics or PTO, cab, A/C, 4WD.....and that's OK.
I'll probably even try a tiller on it, not on virgin ground, but when reworking garden spots. Like the others, I'd like a newer 4WD cab tractor. Ole Gus is working great for me. I like messin with the older equipment.

An 8N will probably pull a smaller manure spreader fine, but the consensus for tillers is ground speed is too fast. For sure, they'll pull a 2 bottom plow.

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae197/briarhhillbrittanys/SeatTime003-1.jpg

buckdeer1
04-09-2012, 10:38 PM
If you use anything on PTO make sure to have a clutch so you don't get a runaway also with no roll over protection devise be careful.

Semisane
04-09-2012, 10:53 PM
One look at the old 8N our hunting club has and you would ask "does that thing run?".

We bought it five years ago and have used it to disk twenty 1/2 acre food plots and bush hog our roads ever since. Five different guys use and abuse it and it just keeps on trucking. Last Fall it blew a head gasket when one of the guys poked a limb through the radiator and kept on using it until it got really hot and started blowing smoke from the exhaust. Fortunately, he was finishing up the last plot before hunting season.

Last month we pulled the head (we're not mechanics by any means) and had it checked. It was fine - no cracks, no warp, no grooves. Bought a gasket on-line, some copper gasket spray, oil filter, oil, new spark plugs, etc. and put it back together. $130 later and it was back to bush hogging roads last weekend.

She ain't pretty, but we love her.

MDuffy
04-09-2012, 11:06 PM
I've got a buddy in Williamson County that has a really nice one for sale. Send me a PM if you are interested.