PDA

View Full Version : Beaver Issues

RacksNQuacks
03-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Does anybody have any experience with construction/ installation of pond outlet structures that are MOSTLY beaver proof or at the least easier to maintain? I have 2 -30 acre ponds inline each with a 2' x 4' PennDOT bicycle rated grate on a 4' deep basin with a 12" outlet. Beavers keep packing the grate shut. I would prefer to keep the beavers onsite and not eliminate them. WIht the volume of water it means if the grates are not cleaned daily pond levels rise 3-4 Feet in 1 day.

NH Mountains
03-10-2012, 09:59 AM
No expert here but, I think you need to connect a pipe to your basin so the pipe extends out into the pond further. The beaver won't look out in the deeper water as a place to plug the hole. They'll look closer to shore.

outdoorstom
03-10-2012, 09:59 AM
I know I say this a lot, but I'll bet the guys over at wwwpondboss.com can probably help you. Wish I could offer you a solution myself.

bigeight
03-10-2012, 10:24 AM
Clemson beaver pond leveler. Great if there is only 1 strategic place for them to cause damage, does the trick;)

RacksNQuacks
03-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Thanks guys, I'll check it all out. NRCS had suggested extending the inlet with perforated 12" then covering it with rip rap to minimize the beaver impact. Main problems I have with that is needing a long stick excavator and a pile of money to clean the rip rap off and replace if it gets packed. I had an idea to install an auxillary outlet with a valve so the water can be lowered to a level that allows cleaning the grate as needed. I need to minimize the as needed part:D

LetMGrow
03-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Shoot them or trap them. The only good beaver is a dead beaver. I hate the things. They will only eventually flood you out and ruin every tree on your place.
I have eliminated every one on my property and good riddance to them.
I'm still trying to clean the creek bed up from all the mud and silt they left behind. They are known as the worst conservationists on earth.
If I see one passing through it's Game on!
Lynn

RacksNQuacks
03-10-2012, 10:08 PM
I gotta wholeheartadly disagree with you LetemGrow but I'm not in your shoes either and getting rid of all of them is not an option. They have been establilished on this property for over 10 years so we may take a few to reduce the population. The habitat and animal diversity those beavers in my case have created/provided could never be duplicated by man for a reasonable fee. 400 acres and it is packed with woodcock, grouse, deer, egrets, eagles, geese, too many species of ducks to count, pilated woodpeckers and my favorite-- otters. THe list could keep going too. It was also recently noted by some NRCS engineers I talked to that with all the nasty flooding NY and PA had last fall that took out roads and bridges and houses etc... no beaver dams were lost.

LetMGrow
03-10-2012, 10:26 PM
My biggest complaint is the destruction of one of the best trout streams in our county. The dams that beaver built backed the water up and flooded about six acres. The creek bottom was gravel and rock when I was young and I used to fish the creek. This was quite a few years ago. By the time I bought the land in 2001 the beavers had moved in and had been there for a few years. I have waged war ever since. I am finally getting to the point where the stream bed is getting washed clean and am in hopes the trout we stock this year will be able to survive.
I have a large ( about 50 acres ) swamp adjacent to my property. Let those varmits play there.
Lynn

virgil
03-10-2012, 11:08 PM
The way I see it there is no such thing as beaver proof. They are very smart and they will always figure out a way to get the job done. Keeping there numbers in check is a must or they will just keep trying to expand. Get rid of all them but a few and you will have less problems.

popeyoung9
03-10-2012, 11:27 PM
The way I see it there is no such thing as beaver proof. They are very smart and they will always figure out a way to get the job done. Keeping there numbers in check is a must or they will just keep trying to expand. Get rid of all them but a few and you will have less problems.

Reminds me of my x wife. Word!

virgil
03-10-2012, 11:33 PM
Whoops sorry wrong beaver.:D After rereading with that in mind it does fit pretty well both ways.