PDA

View Full Version : Best feed for deer when you can't have a plot

RugerPup
03-01-2012, 07:35 AM
I was wonder what the best supplement for deer was. I have a piece of property that I hunt where I can not put in plots. The owner does not want any clearing of the land. What is the best supplement to use for antler growth and to help the overall herd? How often and when should you put it out? I hunt in Virginia so we cannot feed deer between September 1st and January. Thanks for the help

banc123
03-01-2012, 08:08 AM
Generally, most people can't afford a supplement program that provides enough to actually benefit the deer or provide nearly as much tonnage as a plot or natural browse. So for actual nutritional benefit, it would be tough outside of a few grand budget.

Can't clear, but can you mow ?

mikmaze
03-01-2012, 08:29 AM
how bout any tall hardwoods that look like a lot of sun getting to the ground right now? I used to toss winter rye on the ground in the woods as the leaves were falling, stuff would germinate, and then the sun would come through and the rye would grow creating an awesome draw for deer.

buckdeer1
03-01-2012, 10:27 AM
I have fed the the purina deer chow mixed with corn and they eat it after they figure it out.I started off with 50/50 mix and then started phasing out corn.At the price of corn it's not that much more.You will need to built a covered bunk but that can be done and then dig 2 holes and drop post in and it's there.

Smallplot
03-01-2012, 10:36 AM
If your area has good native browse plants I would throw out some fertilizer and feed the natives.

yoderj@cox.net
03-01-2012, 10:45 AM
I was wonder what the best supplement for deer was. I have a piece of property that I hunt where I can not put in plots. The owner does not want any clearing of the land. What is the best supplement to use for antler growth and to help the overall herd? How often and when should you put it out? I hunt in Virginia so we cannot feed deer between September 1st and January. Thanks for the help

None. Contact the VDGIF biologist for your area and have him come evaluate the property. Supplemental feeding has lots of potential issues. The VDGIF biologist may be able to make some habitat improvement suggestions that the property owner likes.

You might also talk to the property owner about soft mast. You can usually find spots where you can get native trees like persimmon or crab-apple to grow without doing any clearing.

In a case like yours, don't look at it from a deer specific perspective. Ask yourself, what can I suggest to the landowner that will make him feel his property will improve for free and that have a collateral benefit of improving wildlife habitat. It may be as simple as connecting him with VDOF to asses his timber. It might turn out that a timber harvest benefits him and wildlife.

Thanks,

Jack

RugerPup
03-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the replies. There are a lot of hardwoods that are very open and a few logging roads on the property.

Bad Faulkner
03-02-2012, 02:58 PM
I have an acquaintance who disced the middle grassy area of each road and the grass off each side on ALL roads at the property he leases to maximize forage production since he doesn't have much open space and isn't allowed to clear any timber. He put in clover and overseeds oats and wheat in the early fall. The tire tracks are still dirt for vehicle use but both sides of each road and the space between where the wheels go are all full of great forage.

timed feeders with a mixture of corn and grain soybeans is also something to consider.