PDA

View Full Version : Quality over Quantity

Whitetail Jiu-Jitsu
02-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Edit: Quality over Quantity, my bad.

Within the last year and a half I moved in with my fiance, we bought two dogs, we got engaged, and now own a house together with the wedding this August. Although kids are not on the immediate plan I know they will be coming in the future. My life as an every weekend hunter (and semi avid fisherman) has come to an end.

With the changes in my life I am finding I need to plan less, but bigger trips for hunting and fishing. Luckily she gives me all of November and understands I will be hunting every weekend during that month. She also gives me my time to plant food plots but I can't afford (money and time wise) to go to the property every weekend anymore. Otherwise though, I need to start planning trips that I can do for 3-4 days that are worth my time and money.

For this year I have 4 days of turkey hunting planned (2 in MN and 2 in WI back to back), my friend's annual cabin weekend for fishing, I booked a charter boat for my bachelor party on lake Michigan for salmon and trout, my annual trip to SD for pheasants, and then deer hunting at my family's property. When I looked at the calandar it didn't look like much but now sounds like more when typing it :rolleyes: .

I would like to average 3-4 fishing trips a year and hopefully a hunting trip that is different from deer hunting my own property and pheasant hunting in SD. Right now I do no guided hunts for anything but am not against it. I don't own a boat so I actually lean more to doing guided fishing trips because I don't have the time to learn a lake.

So, my question is this. What hunting and fishing trips do you guys do that are worth while for 3-6 days that are not over the top expensive? Right now the only one on my list that I am not currently doing is a fly-in trip to Canada (that would be unguided). How are the guys who are already married handling the balance and still getting their time in to be passionate about the outdoors?

innova
02-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Boundary Waters Canoe Area.

The wife comes with, she probably likes it even more than I do. Lots of time for her to read and relax and lots of time for me to fish. The fishing is generally pretty awesome if you take a 'travel' trip and get to the interior of the wilderness vs. the outer lakes next to the edge.

smsmith
02-09-2012, 10:44 AM
I think you may find that your passions will change over time ;)

My wife never told me I couldn't go and do something. However, there were trips/outings/events that I began to stop doing simply because I wanted to be with her instead. We never had children, so our relationship was unusual compared to most of our friends'. We pretty much stayed in that newlywed mode for nearly 23 years.

foggy
02-09-2012, 10:46 AM
I had to let my wife read about your dilema. :) Pretty funny stuff for us old married guys (with kids and grandkids). These days I go to grandkids birthday parties instead of shed hunting (for example).

Seriously, I think many of us learn to deal with less time afield and hopefully more quailty as time goes by. Sometimes the definition of quality changes too.

My quality time is now locally with grandkids....as compared to time gone by on a distant elk hunt on some mountain with somebody I dont know very well.

It's all good. ;)

Whitetail Jiu-Jitsu
02-09-2012, 11:03 AM
I think you may find that your passions will change over time ;)

My wife never told me I couldn't go and do something. However, there were trips/outings/events that I began to stop doing simply because I wanted to be with her instead. We never had children, so our relationship was unusual compared to most of our friends'. We pretty much stayed in that newlywed mode for nearly 23 years.

I will clarify, she has never told me I couldn't do anything. It is more that we always try to compromise on stuff and if I spend all of my vacation time hutning and fishing that isn't a compromise. Now that I own a house as well I am spending a lot of my free time doing house work which she loves to volunteer me for. I am in the stage of trying to find a balance.

Boundary Waters Canoe Area.

The wife comes with, she probably likes it even more than I do. Lots of time for her to read and relax and lots of time for me to fish. The fishing is generally pretty awesome if you take a 'travel' trip and get to the interior of the wilderness vs. the outer lakes next to the edge.

BWCA is a great idea! I can't believe I didn't think of that! She actually told me she wanted to go last year but we never did anything about it because of other things that came up in life. Thanks for the suggestion!

Side Hill Growler
02-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Get the little lady hooked on hunting & fishing. Worked for me.

smsmith
02-09-2012, 11:20 AM
WJJ - Didn't mean to imply your intended had told you that you couldn't do anything. I was just stating that I could whatever I wanted, but chose to do more with her and less with my buddies.

I will say that my wife liked to fish (when they were biting and it was warm and sunny) and just be out in the boat. She'd read and catch rays while I was fishing. Instead of fishing sun up to sun down, I'd focus my efforts on the best times to be out there.

Mustard
02-09-2012, 11:28 AM
fish house rentals on red lake and lake of the woods.

sturgeon or walleyes on the rainy in the spring.

monster pike on lake of the woods in march through the ice.

Dogwood
02-09-2012, 11:33 AM
BWCA is a great idea! I can't believe I didn't think of that! She actually told me she wanted to go last year but we never did anything about it because of other things that came up in life. Thanks for the suggestion!
That is the way to go, IMO. If she shows any interest at all in doing the things you enjoy, make plans that include her. The experiences will be different than what they may have otherwise been, but the memories you'll make will be more valuable to you, down the road.

PassThru>>---->
02-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Try coyote hunting on your families property. Not too expensive to get into if you already own hunting stuff. No license needed in Mn.

sandbur
02-09-2012, 03:50 PM
As my kids reached hunting and fishing age, I try to spend more time getting themt o enjoy the experience. Less guns and toys for me and more for them.

I hunt a day or two with my friends, but spend most of the time with my family because I choose to do so.

No trips out west for several years, money and time being part of the reasons.

I have found that living on one of my main hunting parcels is a great way to have family and play time for me. I can go out and do habitat things for as short of period as 15 minutes or up to seveal hours without hurting family time to much extent.

Freeborn
02-09-2012, 05:55 PM
A great 4-5 day hunt is to Turkey hunt the Black Hills (Wyoming Side). I'm headed back this year. License is $74 bucks, a group of guys in a Small cabin (there are a ton of them not used that time of year) and you get a western hunt for cheap. Also, you can hunt Turkeys with Rifle in Wyoming so if the calling doesnt work, you can still always get one?

Bring the wife, the Black Hills are beutiful and there are things to see. It is a little cold that time of year but not bad.

ganderlander
02-09-2012, 10:55 PM
It's definitely easier to find time before you have kids. If it's tough now it only gets harder to get out in the woods as kids come and get involved in their own activities.

My wife "lets" me do what I want but you also have to understand there is only so much time in the day. I have pretty much quit waterfowl hunting 3 years ago because my time is limited and deer are the passion. I havent fished in 3 years either. (Did I mention my kid is 3 years old?)

I wouldn't change it though! If you are in the field and you miss something with te family it turns the trip into a downer, rather than fun like it should be.

Can you hunt close to home? It is easier if you have a spot where you can go for a couple hours and be back in time for family activities. That's my suggestion.

sandbur
02-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Congratulations on the engagement! It's a great journey.

I got a kick out of foggy's comments about climbing an elk mountian with someone you barely knew, and now we would rather spend time with our family. I've done the same. His comments remind me of all of the TV hunting stars who always introduce "my good friend" who is often their guide, etc. they must have lots of good friends!

November Sunrise
02-10-2012, 02:00 PM
I am in the stage of trying to find a balance.!

That's a good and important goal.

What a few of the other guys were pointing out is that "balance" is a moving target. If you get the recipe just right one year it might need massive adjustment the next, such as if you're blessed with a newborn child. Recognize going into it that as the years go by you'll need to remain flexible, and you'll probably also find that your priorities will shift and adjust based on where things are at in your family and career.

Whitetail Jiu-Jitsu
02-10-2012, 04:33 PM
That's a good and important goal.

What a few of the other guys were pointing out is that "balance" is a moving target. If you get the recipe just right one year it might need massive adjustment the next, such as if you're blessed with a newborn child. Recognize going into it that as the years go by you'll need to remain flexible, and you'll probably also find that your priorities will shift and adjust based on where things are at in your family and career.

The moving target is understandable. I have been day dreaming of catching big pike in Canada and said to myself 'when can I do that?'. I looked at my available time and available money and shook my head. Maybe one day. BWCA was a great idea though. I am going to pursue that.

I am hoping after we are more settled into the house and the wedding is passed things will get easier. We are taking a short honeymoon to a family member's condo in Georgia and she agreed to go ocean fishing one day. In turn I said I would take her to Europe for our 1 year.

lone cedar farm
02-10-2012, 06:15 PM
I stay close to home these days, seems the farther I travel ends up in disapointment and lost $$$$.

ureyes
02-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Its almost to late for you bro. :( Face it......its over my friend. There's no turning back.

Gonna have to choose either alittle bit of everything or alot of one thing.

PalmettoKid
02-11-2012, 11:18 PM
I gave up the majority of my turkey hunting (by choice) and also use the few days I am turkey hunting mostly to scout/prepare trees for next deer season. I do not take time away to scout anymore, simply don't have time for that. Thank goodness for google earth. I also cut my time deer hunting about in half.

Funny thing is the more I cut back, the better I do because I am more inclined to make my time in the woods time well spent. Keeps me more disciplined and in the tree all day.

First year I was married I was stubborn and tried to do everything as much as I had when I was single. That wasn't such a great year...

dakidsmn
02-12-2012, 12:02 AM
To quote sombody smarter than myself. "A man does not know true happiness until he gets married, and then its to late." Just kidding married life can be pretty good.
Always remember if mama aint happy, nobody is happy.
I had the best year of my life deer hunting this past year and never fired a shot. My 14 year old daughter shot 2 deer this year with her bow. One of which was her first buck. Your goals will change and your views will also change.
Getting married isn't the end it is the beginning.