PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia Nitrate question

PassThru
01-19-2012, 09:26 PM
I've got a friend coming to hunt my place next Thursday thru the weekend. I can't put out ammonia nitrate until this Saturday. How long after a rain (following ammonia nitrate application) will it be before the deer use the food plots?

hrcarver
01-19-2012, 10:09 PM
I gotta be honest. This is a totally new one on me. Are you saying deer are dodging the area from the ammonia?:confused:

I could possibly see it, but after a rain it should be a done deal if it stopped them the first time.

What are you topdressing now anyway? Wheat?

dgallow
01-19-2012, 10:18 PM
Shouldn't bother the deer unless you bump them off the field while applying. 2-4 tons of foul litter will not keep our deer off a field.

Why do you need AMN? What is growing in the field? What type of soil?

Do realize with AMN....half of the product (NH4) will be there 8 weeks from now....the other half (NH3) can be gone in one big rainfall event on low CEC soils (sands or sandy loams).

IF you were to add some K with that N app the crop this summer would benefit. ;)

PassThru
01-19-2012, 10:45 PM
hrcarver,

I haven't applied the AN yet. My experience (limited though it is) implies that deer don't like AN until it is watered in. I'm just wondering if once it rains, it won't bother the deer.

dgallow,

I only plan to apply 50 lbs per acre of AN - No chicken litter. My soil is fairly sandy (with a low CEC), but I brought it up to specs (including K) according to a recent soil sample. The reason I'm applying the AN is to give the oats, wheat, rye (grain, not grass), and radishes a "kick" for the last week of the season. I"ve also got crimson clover in the plots, but it probably won't react to the AN as much as the others.

Thanks to you both for your comments - It looks like I'll be OK (at least if I get the rain that is predicted) :)

dgallow
01-19-2012, 11:24 PM
Pass through if the deer are already using heavily and accustomed to using the plot then your buddy should do just fine with just a dose of rain and some sunshine perking up the plot IME and often here this winter and in winters past when we have 'warm spells'.

So as 'not to upset the apple cart' waiting a week or two on the plot intrusion and AMN app won't hurt a thing IMO. The farmer timing here for 2nd N app on small grain is Valentines Day....may differ in your location.

banc123
01-20-2012, 07:31 AM
AN has it in N a stable form (NH4), it doesn't turn into a gas like urea (NH2) when exposed to air. It shouldn't bother them, especially at 50lbs per acre.

PassThru
01-20-2012, 10:04 PM
dgallow, banc123,

The deer aren't hitting my plots hard. I've got a low deer density with about 6 acres of food plots on 200 acres, and the plots easily keep up with browsing. I think I'll make a last minute decision this weekend based on whether rain is a near certainty.

Thanks for the input!