PDA

View Full Version : Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa Turkey Hunters

sboone270
01-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Planning turkey hunting trip to my new lease in SE Nebraska and trying to figure out when will be the best dates to hunt? Farm is located in SE Nebraska within 1 hour of Kansas, Missouri and Iowa. Dates I have in mind are April 18-23, but could postpone until later in season.

Thanks in advance-

E_308
01-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Depends on the weather, which I know is not a helpful comment when trying to plan in advance. "Normal" years those dates would be about right. Un-Normal years there could be snow at that time. I have a trip to NW Kansas for Rios scheduled for April 13-16, which alomst guarantees it will be raining during that time.:D

BeckFarms
01-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Like 308 said...it greatly changes from year to year on the weather. Some years the mid to late April timeframe is the best hunting and the peak of the season. Last year was quite different as it stayed very cool in the spring and mid May was my best hunting. I lease hunts on my land and take in about 8 hunting parties a year (about 20 hunters). I tell them that it is hit and miss but usually the first week of May is the happy median.

Also I believe the 14th is the opening weekend this year. The way the winter has gone so far its been dry and very warm. If this pattern keeps up I would keep the dates you have as they will start strutting early this year.

ICALL2MUCH
01-18-2012, 02:01 PM
If you will be hunting a place that isn't turkey hunted much, or at all - I'd move that date back.

Too big of a risk on the weather.

IMO, it is easier to kill turkeebirds in the rain, than in the cold. The later that date becomes, the less risk cold is.