UGUIDE
12-21-2011, 01:08 PM
NEWS RELEASE
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
101 S Webster, PO Box 7921, Madison, WI 53707
Phone: 888-936-7463 TDD: 711
dnr.wi.gov - www.wisconsin.gov
Archived under: [dnr.wi.gov/news]

Wisconsin's long fought battle to manage growing wolf populations within its borders is nearly over
Contact(s): Bill Cosh, DNR spokesperson – (608) 267-2773
MADISON -- With the announcement today that the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service is removing the gray wolf from Endangered Species Act protection (exit DNR), Wisconsin’s long fought battle to manage growing wolf populations within its borders is nearly over. Gov. Scott Walker has charged the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources with being ready to begin implementing Wisconsin’s Wolf Management plan by Feb. 1, 2012.
“We are eager and ready to take on the challenges of wolf management,” said DNR Secretary Cathy Stepp. “We appreciate Governor Walker’s attention to this issue.”
More information about the gray wolf in Wisconsin and a copy of the Wisconsin Wolf Management Plan are available on the DNR website.
Stepp also thanked the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (exit DNR) for their responsiveness to the concerns that she raised, especially with regard to their finding that the population of wolves in the Western Great Lakes is a single species. In addition, she praised the work of Wisconsin’s Congressional Delegation and that of Michigan and Minnesota in raising the importance of addressing this issue now at the national level.
“I want to acknowledge the citizens of Wisconsin for their patience as we worked on the delisting,” said Stepp. “They were persistent in bringing their concerns to my attention. It is because of that persistence that we were able to achieve the delisting.”
Today’s action is only the first step in the process. Once wolves are delisted, the DNR will be able to do depredation controls, via trapping and permits to landowners in depredation areas.
“While the department is committed to long-term conservation of wolves in Wisconsin, it is critical that we be allowed to manage wildlife populations within our borders,” said Stepp.

BigBuck
12-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Finally!!!!!!!!:) :) :)

Terrific_tom
12-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Don't get too excited. They have delisted the wolves 2 times before this only to have animal rights activists file a lawsuit and get an injunction from a judge to stop it and have the wolf put back on the protected list. I hope it is for good this time but I'm not holding my breath.

Land Owner
12-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Sounds like an individual policy of SSS....

Younghunter
12-21-2011, 02:10 PM
That is good news.

The WDNR has been a strong advocate for delisting the wolves and having the state authority to manage their population. And just to be clear, wolves weren't reintroduced (natural dispersal from Minnesota and Upper Peninsula) and even though the WDNR will have the authority to set and make management decisions, the wolves are here to stay. So we best learn to accept and deal with their role in the landscape.

-Matt

BigBuck
12-21-2011, 02:40 PM
Yup, they are here to stay, which is fine by me....as long as their numbers can be controlled. I bet the first ones to go will be the pack thats eating the Elk!:D

Tree Spud
12-21-2011, 02:44 PM
Don't get too excited. They have delisted the wolves 2 times before this only to have animal rights activists file a lawsuit and get an injunction from a judge to stop it and have the wolf put back on the protected list. I hope it is for good this time but I'm not holding my breath.

Exactly ...

diesel91
12-21-2011, 03:02 PM
With backing from Walker it should get done.

whitetail fanatic
12-21-2011, 03:06 PM

I think your statement is incorrect. I mean they were never actually delisted the other 2 times. They were in the process, and close to being delisted, but both times the animal rights activists sued and so the feds were unable to delist. As I understand it, this time they actually succeeded and the animal rights activists have been defeated. The wolf has been removed from the endangered species list, now it will be up the states as to how we manage them with in our borders. This is a good day for wildlife conservation, as we need to be able to manage populations of all wildlife to keep everything in balance, whether it be wolves or deer or whatever. Finally the anti hunters have been defeated on this issue. At least that is my understanding.

Terrific_tom
12-21-2011, 03:13 PM
I think your statement is incorrect. I mean they were never actually delisted the other 2 times. They were in the process, and close to being delisted, but both times the animal rights activists sued and so the feds were unable to delist. As I understand it, this time they actually succeeded and the animal rights activists have been defeated. The wolf has been removed from the endangered species list, now it will be up the states as to how we manage them with in our borders. This is a good day for wildlife conservation, as we need to be able to manage populations of all wildlife to keep everything in balance, whether it be wolves or deer or whatever. Finally the anti hunters have been defeated on this issue. At least that is my understanding.

They were delisted in 2007 and again in 2009. Google it and it will give you all the info. After the delisting in 2007 the Wisconsinn DNR was in the process of carrying out their wolf management plan only to be halted by the injuction and the wolf being put back on the list.

whitetail fanatic
12-21-2011, 03:20 PM
They were delisted in 2005 and again in 2007. Google it and it will give you all the info. After the delisting in 2007 the Wisconsinn DNR was in the process of carrying out their wolf management plan only to be halted by the injuction and the wolf being put back on the list.

OK, my bad, as I said, I wasn't sure, but thought this time it was different. Guess we'll have to see if they sue again and send it back to the courts. I was under the impression that if it went through the courts this time without the anti's holding it up, it was a done deal. Something about the distinction between the Great Lakes vs. the Eastern Gray wolf is what I thought the anti's were arguing this time. Who knows if this is the end of it or not if the antis can still do something to send it back.

Mustard
12-21-2011, 03:40 PM
this should be seen as a huge wildlife/conservation success story and not such a me vs. you type of debate.

but, i hope the residents and the states are successful in managing and maintaining the 'correct' number of wolves so they don't end up back on the list in a few years.

BigBuck
12-21-2011, 03:51 PM
this should be seen as a huge wildlife/conservation success story

I disagree. The number of wolves in WI. is 6 Times higher than what the WDNR thinks it should be.
Elk were native to Wisconsin too, but the activistes are only concerned about the wolves. I dont get that. Nobody is saying get rid of all wolves. We are saying now that there are TOOOOOO many, we need the option to control the numbers. We will now have that and that is a victory. For the wolves in the long run too.

whitetail fanatic
12-21-2011, 04:02 PM
this should be seen as a huge wildlife/conservation success story and not such a me vs. you type of debate.

but, i hope the residents and the states are successful in managing and maintaining the 'correct' number of wolves so they don't end up back on the list in a few years.

Yes, that is why I said this in one of my other posts:
...... This is a good day for wildlife conservation, as we need to be able to manage populations of all wildlife to keep everything in balance, whether it be wolves or deer or whatever.

I was never trying to make it a me vs. you debate, if it was me you were referring to. I meant it's a victory for all wildlife, never meant to make it a me vs. you debate as you said. It's a victory for ALL wildlife over the anti's who want us to have no way to control wildlife populations of any species. This goes far beyond just being able to manage wolves. In the long run, it is a victory for all wildlife when a decision like this is made. And as big buck says, we never said get rid of the wolves, just that we need to be able to control their numbers, just like deer. We don't need 150 deer per square mile, and we don't need as many wolves as we have now either. Like bigbuck says, it's good for the wolves too, if left to go unchecked, there would be serious consequences to them, if there hasn't been already.

I disagree. The number of wolves in WI. is 6 Times higher than what the WDNR thinks it should be.
Elk were native to Wisconsin too, but the activistes are only concerned about the wolves. I dont get that. Nobody is saying get rid of all wolves. We are saying now that there are TOOOOOO many, we need the option to control the numbers. We will now have that and that is a victory. For the wolves in the long run too.

Exactly!

Younghunter
12-21-2011, 04:11 PM
For anyone interested... here is the WDNR wolf management plan:

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/er/publications/wolfplan/toc.htm

This is pretty good too... slide show with video presentation about the 2011 update for wolves in Wisconsin.

http://dnrmedia.wi.gov/main/Viewer/?peid=2b8495207ace43ac8104d72d5d89222e

USFWS news release:
http://us.vocuspr.com/Newsroom/Query.aspx?SiteName=fws&Entity=PRAsset&SF_PRAsset_PRAssetID_EQ=115700&XSL=PressRelease&Cache=True

-Matt

ProcraftMike
12-21-2011, 04:20 PM
It is a step in the right direction. I just hope it sticks this time. This decision is way overdue. We have been dealing with the affects of an over population of wolves in our area for several years now. Last year 4 bear hunting dogs where killed within a mile of our hunting land. The number was down slightly this year.

Lets all hope and pray that the delisting is final this time.

Mike

BigBuck
12-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Whitetail Fanatic-
SORRY! I Miss-Read your post!:o
I agree with you. I thought you posted -
this should NOT be seen as a huge wildlife/conservation success story and not such a me vs. you type of debate.

My Bad.
Boy, I'm having a tough dam day today!

jake
12-21-2011, 07:58 PM
:)

That is great news! I think it will stick. There is also a article in the Outdoor Wisconsin newspaper explaining a little bit that was going on.

sandbur
12-22-2011, 08:08 AM
Some agreement in Minnesota might even let us have a hunting/trapping season this fall, instead of waiting 5 years as the original plan had said.

We did wait five years if you count all of the listing and delisting.

I would hope to see the numbers reduced in the livestock areas and also hope that wolves will get back their fear of man.

A season might even help the economy in some northern areas.

Jim Timber
12-22-2011, 08:26 AM
"Wow, that's a big coyote!" SSS

Whitetail Jiu-Jitsu
12-22-2011, 09:14 AM
Some agreement in Minnesota might even let us have a hunting/trapping season this fall, instead of waiting 5 years as the original plan had said.

We did wait five years if you count all of the listing and delisting.

I would hope to see the numbers reduced in the livestock areas and also hope that wolves will get back their fear of man.

A season might even help the economy in some northern areas.

That is what I have heard as well. You must also get the MN Deer Hunter's Association e-mails.

Open invitation to come hunt them for anyone that draws a tag in Pine County. I have A LOT of land owners I know that would love for you to come out and take a few. Seriously.

I agree with Matt though, they are a keystone species and deserve to be part of our landscape. They just need to be managed accordingly and controlled just like anything else.

BigBuck
01-24-2012, 02:21 PM
Looks good so far...only a few more days to go!
They better quick get out there and kill a bunch before they get re-listed!:rolleyes:

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/news/DNRNews_Lookup.asp?id=310#art1

True
01-24-2012, 03:38 PM
"Landowners or people leasing land will have authority to shoot wolves only when in the act of attacking domestic animals on their land."

Oh please....who doesnt have a few extra barn cats around the farm that can stage this. Mr DNR, I caught this wolf attacking my cat, so i shot it. See here's the dead cat.