PDA

View Full Version : How common for mature buck to have white spots?

murphy
12-16-2011, 09:14 AM
Finally was fortunate enough to harvest my first deer for the year and come to find out he has small white spots all over his cape. I have never seen anything like this, and am just curious how common it is.

I have always wanted to have a cape tanned to be used in the house and would think this is about as good of a candidate as I'm going to get for that purpose. I plan on talking to my taxidermist today, but would like to hear what you folks think is a reasonable price to pay to have it professionally done.

Thanks,
Murphy

BSK_
12-16-2011, 09:36 AM
Not common. I have seen adult deer that have rows of spots, but very rarely.

Critter Chaser
12-16-2011, 10:27 AM
Can you post a picture?

I think they are called a "Pie Ball" not sure if that is the correct spelling. They are very rare from my understanding. I have been lucky enough to have one on my property for a few years then this last season I saw a small pie ball buck.

M.Magis
12-16-2011, 10:28 AM
I plan on talking to my taxidermist today, but would like to hear what you folks think is a reasonable price to pay to have it professionally done.

Plan around $150 or so. My wholesale cost is about $80. Add in time for fleshing, salting, packing, etc...

I don't think what you have is actually a piebald. BSK would know better, but I think they're the same spots the deer had as a fawn that never fully went away. I've only seen it in pictures a time or two, but if I recall the spots are typically very faint, but definitely noticeable.

murphy
01-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Getting used to new computer, finally got some help with manipulating pics. Here he is

MDuffy
01-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Getting used to new computer, finally got some help with manipulating pics. Here he is

Sweet!!!!!

banc123
01-04-2012, 09:37 PM
His great granddaddy was an axis buck ;) or he's a giant fawn.

Very cool, would make a great throw rug

Massey135
01-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Must be a regional thing. Actually MOST of the adult deer I shoot from my land have faint fawn spots on them. I've always wondered why that was. Yours doesnt look quite like mine, though. Yours looks like it was peppered with some #5 rabbit load. By the way, that's a real Hoss. Congratulations!

skin_dog1
01-04-2012, 10:29 PM
I've seen several bucks have 2 parallel lines of light colored spots down their back. It's not common.

PalmettoKid
01-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Looks like Santa lost one of his reindeer this year.

I have never seen that before. So I am going to say rare.

BuckeyeRed
01-05-2012, 12:42 PM
That's cool! Congratulations!

fiveyear
01-05-2012, 12:49 PM
I think they call that gray hair in older males!!!:D

Great buck! I've seen white coloration in deer more like piebald but nothing like that!:eek:

murphy
01-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Thanks everyone. I can't wait to get the tanned cape back. He is definitely the largest bodied buck I have ever taken. For reference in the pic, I am 6' and 190 - he had me by a little:D As well as having very strange coloration, I have never in person seen a buck as broken up as this one. He has both brow tines, one G2, and stickers on remaining G2 and G3 all broken!

Drop-time
01-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Nice buck! Other than the spots he looks like one of mine this year.