PDA

View Full Version : How many horse power do we need?

mosesblank
12-15-2011, 06:40 PM
At one time I was thinking about getting a 1 row no-till corn planter to pull with an atv but now I think it might be better to use a 2 row and pull with a tractor. Do you use a 2 row no-till corn planter and what size tractor do you need. I want to check around and see if I can find a good deal on a tractor. I could also use a 3 point disc and some other tools with the tractor which would be easier than using the 4 wheeler.

worththewait
12-15-2011, 06:46 PM
I have a John Deere 4410. It is about 35 hp, diesel and 4 wheel drive. Awesome tractor. I have had it about 8 years. If I were to replace it I wouldn't even look at another brand.

H4W
12-15-2011, 07:35 PM
"If I were to replace it I wouldn't even look at another brand."

If you had bought another brand (NH), you wouldn't have to think about replacing it. :D :D :D

I think most serious habitat managers get to the point where they realize they need both an ATV and a tractor. While some soils will allow a person to get away working it with just an ATV without premature wear, if you plan on planting more than a couple of acres each year I would consider purchasing a tractor. JMO, and only kidding about the JD-I'm just jealous-green with envy so to speak!

PlotFarmer
12-15-2011, 07:36 PM
I have a 2007 John Deere 790 (currently produced as a 3005). It has 27 HP 4 wheel drive and a loader. It handles a 3 point mounted 2 row John deere 7000 corn planter with no-til coulters with out a problem at all. Also I have a 6 foot King cutter angle frame disk with about 300 pounds of steel added to it and a 4 foot John Deere Brush hog. This tractor could handle the box framed disk or a 5 foot brush hog. When I purchased my attachments I went small because I wasn't sure what it would handle. In case you were wondering I purchased the tractor in 2007 with 37 hours on it for $13,500. I have been nothing but surprised and happy with the tractor. What I used to do in a weekend, I can do in a couple of hours and I am not totally exhausted. I think the JD 790 is a great beginner, affordable tractor that will do just about anything. When I get a bigger tractor I will keep the 790 because it is very handy and manuverable in the woods.

H4W
12-15-2011, 07:50 PM
I should have added that I have 2 tractors, both 4WD-a 45hp and a 60hp. I would go a little bigger than you might initially think and save yourself money in the LR. I would consider a 40-45hp in 4WD the minimum for what I do. Good luck!

RacksNQuacks
12-15-2011, 07:53 PM
At one time I was thinking about getting a 1 row no-till corn planter to pull with an atv but now I think it might be better to use a 2 row and pull with a tractor. Do you use a 2 row no-till corn planter and what size tractor do you need. I want to check around and see if I can find a good deal on a tractor. I could also use a 3 point disc and some other tools with the tractor which would be easier than using the 4 wheeler.

I use my 35 HP 4X4 Kubota with a 2 row planter Ford 309, 7 foot Esch no-till ( heavy bugger), 10 ft drag disk with a 10ft packer at the same time, 8 ft 3pt disk with 10 ft packer at same time, 2bottom moldboard plow, 6 ft Truax, and 6ft GP, 6 ft bushhog, etc.............
I would go no less than 30 hp and def 4x4. I have used a 790 Deere with the 6 ft Truax and also a 6 foot disk with 8 ft packer. It was not a good time. Plenty of HP but the tractor is too light. The implements tended to shove it a round a bit more than I like at the end of the rows.
I would stay away from tractors with hydro trans and or over 40HP. Shuttle shift is ok tho. The hydros burn too much fuel and likewise for the over 40 HP.

LetMGrow
12-15-2011, 08:39 PM
I have 2 tractors. A Ford 2110 4 WD with a loader and a John Deere 5225 4 WD cab tractor with a loader. Both in my opinion are quite economical on fuel. The Ford being a little better. I use the same implements behind each. When running the brush cutter or grooming mower the fuel usage is about the same. The 56 hp. J.D. just isn't working hard at all. The A/C sure is nice when spending all day mowing in hot weather. I don't care if it used a little more fuel.
I have a front mounted 84" Erskine snow blower I use in the winter to clean the driveway. The little 38 HP. Ford wouldn't work for this.
Before laying down hard earned cash anyone should look at what they plan to do in the coming years. If you intend to add more plots, and most of us do, You might just want to oversize the first time around. As you add more acreage you will want to step up the size of your equipment as well, if you didn't buy big enough to start with.
The Ford is my " go to " tractor. Small quick jobs where I am having to get on and off a lot it's a little handier to use.
I bought the J.D. new May 1 2007. I checked the meter and it has 562 hrs. on it now. The Ford averages around 75 hrs. per year. I expect the Ford to get used more in the future as my 15 year old grandson has shown an interest in helping to run equipment and helping on the land.
We maintain 186 acres altogether and one tractor just wouldn't cut it. My son runs one of the tractors quite a bit. He usually goes for the J.D. but I often pull rank and use it myself.
No doubt down the road we'll be looking at a third tractor. I'm sure we'll be looking at the 55-60 hp. range. Possibly even larger, maybe around the 83 hp. range.
Lynn

Buckly
12-15-2011, 08:47 PM
All you really need to pull a 2 row corn planter is 1 horse. I see it all the time.

LetMGrow
12-15-2011, 09:07 PM
All you really need to pull a 2 row corn planter is 1 horse. I see it all the time.

Very efficient!
Fertilize and sow seed at the same time.
LOL
Lynn

Smallplot
12-15-2011, 09:24 PM
just make sure on the weight of the 2 row planter and what your tractor will handle. Some two row planters are heavier than others. Depends on the type of tool bar and frame that the row units are placed on. Good no-till units will be heavier to cut through trash with the coulters. Don't forget to use loaded weight and not empty weight when figuring the weight of the planter.

Weight and capabilities of the tractor will be what needs looked at as it will not take much in the way of HP to pull a two row planter especially if planter is conventional till.

Tdelegram
12-16-2011, 09:42 AM
up until last year I had between 3 to 5 acres of plots with sever plots under an acre. I started out with a Cub-cadet 22 horse 4wd. The majority if not all sub 25 horse tractors (including lawn and garden) are all made by MTD and rebadged by green, yellow, blue, orange... I used the cub for 8 years for plots, small back hoe work (we have a small horse rescue and they do die from time to time) and wore out the hydrostatic pump which cost 5K to repair. This year I upgraded to a Mahindra 5035 (50 HP) and could not be happier, i have been able to cur plotting time in half with implements twice the size and also the speed of using them as well as saving a boat load of money switching over from square bales of hay to round bales. Additionally, now that I have a 50 hp, i can help the local guy do hay and get it even cheaper. I would say if you are not doing any serious farming or hay look in the 35 to 40 HP range in the compact lines (tighter turning radius over true ag size), and if you might some day look at serious farming at east 50 HP, which is about the largest HP you can get in a compact line.

Tioga Tines
12-16-2011, 11:34 AM

I too started plotting with ATV equipment, and did so for several years. Once I saved enough to purchase a used tractor - Wow, what a pleasure. I have a 41 hsp 4wd Kubota w FEL, 6' Brushhog, 6' Heavy 3pt Disc, and a few other implements. Tractors are pretty "bulletproof" compared to ATV equipment. I am no expert, but I would not want to go much lower on hp. There are lots of used tractors out there, many with low hours. Take your time and buy what you want. Be willing to walk away from tractors that fall short on your wish list.

timbow
12-17-2011, 10:10 AM
How Big Of Tractor Depends on how much money you have, how far from your to move the tractor and how and what you plan on using the tractor.
I have a 45 mile drive between properties and in 2003 opted for a used 2002 30 HP Kubota L3010 GST 4X4 with FEL, with attachments and liquid filled tires it is at #5000 and all I can move with my 1/2 ton pickup and stay under GVTW of #7000. Up to now the 30 HP has worked fine but with recent drought conditions, I want a no till drill. The minimum tractor for a decent no till drill which will work with my planting situation in central Oklahoma with mostly native warm season bunch grass pasture is 45 HP. The step up required for no till is not only a heavier 45HP tractor but also a 3/4 ton pickup with a longer and heavier trailer. Given the current economy and my financial situation the cost associated with stepping up to no till is not really an option so I will adapt and make do with the exsisting equipment for food plots.
5' HD bush hog
6' 3PT disc
#500 3 PT broadcast spreader
6' drag chain harrow
5' rototiller