PDA

View Full Version : Mixing oats and rye

Bullwinkle
12-11-2011, 10:44 AM
I am trying to fix a 3 acre field that was planted in alfalfa 2 years ago. We never got a good take and have a wonderful selection of weeds. I want it is a fall killing plot the fall of 2012

Here is my though:

In July/Aug - Round up the weeds. Plant it with a mixture of oats and rye this fall - the rye to build nitrogen and deter weeds and the oats to attract deer. Then, either over seed it with clover or let a farmer plant it in alfalfa/corn the summer of 2013.

Can you plant cereal rye and oats together? I have typically been broadcasting both at a rate of 100lb/acre. Could I just split it and put down 50lb/acre rye and 50lb/acre oats? Anyone ever do this before?

I have done head to head trials of rye vs oats - the oats handily win until they turn brown - which is in Dec. The deer around me have a lot of really good things to choose from and for some reason the rye is not on the top of their fall list

Ohio Darin
12-11-2011, 11:04 AM
You will be fine. I plant wheat and rye together since the deer in my area don't hit the rye very hard. You may want to take advantage and plant your clover at this time. The rye/oat mixture will act as a cover crop and when the rye dies off the following year you will have a nice relatively weed free stand of clover. Good luck.....

Alpha Doe
12-11-2011, 12:11 PM
We have found the nice thing about rye it is more cold tolerant AND it are one of the very first things that green up in early spring. Oats are done!

Yes they can and should be mixed.

yoderj@cox.net
12-11-2011, 05:05 PM
If you look at the peak times of cereal grains, you will find mixing Oats and Rye is near perfect. Winter Wheat seems to overlap these.

dgallow
12-12-2011, 10:55 AM
I am trying to fix a 3 acre field that was planted in alfalfa 2 years ago. We never got a good take and have a wonderful selection of weeds. I want it is a fall killing plot the fall of 2012

And the soil test was and is? Perhaps something to consider first....Ca, S, P, K, Zn and B for alfalfa/legumes?

~ 1 bu (56lb) rye and 1 bu oats (36 lbs) should serve you well allowing for legume establishment at the same fall planting. Add 4 lb radish too for improved P availablity and soil aeration/drainage.

CaveCreek
12-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Yes, mix them. 100#'s per acre is a good rate. I would broadcast the clover at the same time.

However, If the field will go corn the next Spring, then no use in using a perennial clover. Use crimson, or none, instead.

If going to alfalfa the following fall, it would be fine to plant red clover. But I would see no purpose in using white, if you are going to kill it out within a yrs time.

Same for if you were to continue an annual fall planting. Use red instead of white, if you will want to kill/plow the plot up and do the same, the following season.

LAstly, on spraying roundup, you MIGHT find need to start controlling weeds SOONER in the Spring. Some weeds may be going to seed by then.

schlag
12-12-2011, 02:14 PM
By the time you wait to roundup the weeds in Late July or August they will be 3 to 4 foot tall. Do it early in the spring and then again in Late July/early August. You will have a much cleaner field that away.

foothillshabita
12-12-2011, 02:44 PM
I have been mixing oats w/ 18% rye for years. Sometimes I will topseed turnips, or clover if it is ready to be turned into a perennial plot. The nice thing is ( at least in the N) early the following springs the early green up on the rye has you covered, lessens the 'clean table';) .

jake
12-12-2011, 04:17 PM
I would also mix in some winter peas.

good luck

Sweet November
12-12-2011, 09:19 PM

Here is my though:

In July/Aug - Round up the weeds. Plant it with a mixture of oats and rye this fall - the rye to build nitrogen and deter weeds and the oats to attract deer. Then, either over seed it with clover or let a farmer plant it in alfalfa/corn the summer of 2013.

Can you plant cereal rye and oats together? I have typically been broadcasting both at a rate of 100lb/acre. Could I just split it and put down 50lb/acre rye and 50lb/acre oats? Anyone ever do this before?

I have done head to head trials of rye vs oats - the oats handily win until they turn brown - which is in Dec. The deer around me have a lot of really good things to choose from and for some reason the rye is not on the top of their fall list

In 2013 would you "let" the farmer plant it for harvest or would you hire him to plant it for you and keep it standing?

The reason I ask is because if you are looking for pure attraction for hunting whitetails I would recommend the following:

Split the 3 acres into 3 one acre sections. In early May I would spray the entire field. In Late May I would plant 1 acre of RR soybeans. This will pull in deer from adjacent properties and get them used to feeding in this field in the summer. If you want clean soybeans you will want to spray at planting and again 3-4 weeks later. If the soys get consumed you can always overseed brassicas in late July or cereal grains in late August in this 1 acre. The 2nd acre I would do three sprayings: Early May, early June, mid July. At the time of 3rd spraying broadcast 4 lbs daikon radishes, 2 lbs DER, and 2 lbs PTT. I generally broadcast the brassica seed and then spray over the seed....gives the seeds a great weed free start. No tillage necessary. On the 3rd acre I would plant rye, oats, peas just under the soil; then top dress daikon radishes and white clover over the top and pack down. You can maintain this acre as white clover in 2011. Rotate the soybean acre and the brassica acre in 2013. In our area of Shawano County soybeans, brassicas, and white clover are very preferred and will feed the deer all year round. Just my $.02 - have fun!

All the best, Craig

Smallplot
12-15-2011, 05:30 AM
Wondering, did you ever decide why the alfalfa did not turn out? Is this three acres well drained? Alfalfa does not like wet soil.

Did the weeds just take over? Alfalfa is high maintenance so don't skimp on spraying, lime, or fertilizer. Keep an extra good eye on it for pests/disease. If it was just over ran with weeds you may be able to spray it this spring and get it to bounce back then topdress with clover.

What was the 3 acres in prior to the current crop of alfalfa? With alfalfa, you can not over seed with a new crop of alfalfa after one year. Alfalfa produces a chemical that kills any new sprouts after reaching approximately one year of age. It's a way for it to naturally control the population.

Bullwinkle
12-16-2011, 08:03 PM
Wow, great advice.

To answer some of the questions. It was an old field I let a part time farmer plant in corn for about 4 years. The corn did well but was declining so we needed to rotate it. He planted alfalfa and got an awesome take. The problem was he was unable to cut it all year and the weeds took over. Last year was a bust.

The soil pH and test is horrible. I am going to test it and fix this before planting next summer.

Sounds like I am on the right track. Thanks for all of the input