PDA

View Full Version : Fence sitters/poachers

beauman
11-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Gun season in Illinois, last week-end. Saturday am, neighbor calls, he and his young son shoot doe... momentum carries her over fence on my side. Asks permission to cross fence and get doe. I say yes!
Sunday am, I hear one shot from that same fenceline. That guys hunting partner calls @ 9 am to say he shot small buck,.... momentum carries him 10 ft over fence on my side. I was heading towards his stand site @ 10 am. Called him back, told him I'd meet him there in a couple of minutes.
To make a long story short... it was obvious he shot small 6pt. 30 yds into my woods. Hair, blood,(heart shot) bloodtrail.
I called BS, then called game warden. Warden spent an hour looking for blood at fence. There wasn't any! Ended up, warden couldn't/wouldn't write ticket.
In Illinois you don't have to give someone access to retrieve downed game. I thought about taking deer and donating meat. Finally I told warden to tell that SOB to get the deer and get out!
Anybody else have these problems, how do you handle them?

BeckFarms
11-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Gun season in Illinois, last week-end. Saturday am, neighbor calls, he and his young son shoot doe... momentum carries her over fence on my side. Asks permission to cross fence and get doe. I say yes!
Sunday am, I hear one shot from that same fenceline. That guys hunting partner calls @ 9 am to say he shot small buck,.... momentum carries him 10 ft over fence on my side. I was heading towards his stand site @ 10 am. Called him back, told him I'd meet him there in a couple of minutes.
To make a long story short... it was obvious he shot small 6pt. 30 yds into my woods. Hair, blood,(heart shot) bloodtrail.
I called BS, then called game warden. Warden spent an hour looking for blood at fence. There wasn't any! Ended up, warden couldn't/wouldn't write ticket.
In Illinois you don't have to give someone access to retrieve downed game. I thought about taking deer and donating meat. Finally I told warden to tell that SOB to get the deer and get out!

I have these problems every year but in Nebraska they do have to have permission. Doesn't matter where they shot it...if it dies in ours they have to have permission to get it. We can refuse permission and then it's their responsibility to call the game warden to retrieve their deer, If they don't call the game warden then we turn them in for wanton waste.

foothillshabita
11-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Take the deer next time. And put a stand on the line, lock it and sit it, or sit a dummy in a stand that is just visible from that line, so they cant tell its not you. Or try a putting piles of human hair, cologne, etc on the line there. Theres more than one way to skin a cat.

DeerSlayer
11-21-2011, 02:33 PM
Sounds like the CPO should have written him a ticket.

stumpgrinder
11-21-2011, 03:04 PM
Hang a few wind chimes along the property line near his stand.

edmhunter
11-21-2011, 04:21 PM

At least they did not get in your stand like they did to me. 10' and 30 yards why would they call you to get permission? If it was me I would not be upset if a deer was dead just on the other side of my property. I would expect them to retrevie it as fast as possible with no weapons and I would do the same. If you have to track a bad shot that is different. It would be hard to say for sure what happened like the deer was running. The only way to keep them honest is a camers or put a stand there.

ProcraftMike
11-21-2011, 05:02 PM
In WI, you have to have permission retrieve game onto someone else's property. If you refuse that permission, they cannot enter, but you cannot claim the deer yourself. That deer would have to lay there and rot. You have to actually have legally harvested the deer to be able to tag it. I'm not sure how it is in IL.

This came directly from a warden at my sons hunter safety class a few years ago.

Mike

Jim Timber
11-21-2011, 06:40 PM
My neighbor's have three stands along our lot line - the furthest one is 58 feet into their land.

Sunday morning, 8am, last day of rifle season: I pass on two small doe fawns. 8:20 I hear four shots in rapid succession (she's shooting an auto), and a woman calls out "I got two!"

I went over there, they were on my side of the line, but since the surveyor flaked on me I couldn't reliably prove it, so I watched from a distance as they hauled them out. :mad:

Next year, the deer won't be able to cross, and neither will the neighbor. I've got my 2 stroke mixed up and saws are sharpened. ;)

edmhunter
11-21-2011, 08:11 PM
In WI, you have to have permission retrieve game onto someone else's property. If you refuse that permission, they cannot enter, but you cannot claim the deer yourself. That deer would have to lay there and rot. You have to actually have legally harvested the deer to be able to tag it. I'm not sure how it is in IL.

This came directly from a warden at my sons hunter safety class a few years ago.

Mike

It is the same in Il. He did not have to let them take the deer. I am not sure why they would shoot the deer on their property then ask for permisson to get it. Problem now is the DNR said it was ok so they will keep doing it. I would order some fast growng trees to screen the property.

ureyes
11-21-2011, 08:30 PM
This year I had guys that hunt on the south side of me move thier stands right onto the property line. For the past 2 years they have been getting closer and closer to the line...now there is no space between thier stands and my property. Its funny they walk across 80 acres of wood bordered crop field and then through 10 acres of woods to get onto my property line.

Since they do not own the property I am reporting to the land owner that they will not be able to retrieve deer from my property unless they move thier stand off the line.

Anyone hunting on a property line is setting it up for the deer to come onto your property after being shot.

Deny permission unless they back off the line.

Or offer good money to buy or lease the property if they do not own it. I'm gonna try that first...then deny permission if that doesn't work.

IF the hunters don't own it, chances are if the land owner is not a total prick they will understand a fellow property owners right to respect and most of the time they just aren't aware of the way people who are using thier property are behaving.

Good luck with the battle that never ends.

John Brown Jr.
11-21-2011, 08:37 PM
I've kept up with the numerous posts of late that deal with landowners who have individuals that "hunt the line." I have a lease where I'm the hunter on the line and have been so since 2005. The property is made up almost entirely of CRP/WRP and doesn't contain a tree large enough to put a stand in. However, that's not the main reason I place my stands along the property line. In 2005 the adjacent property was timber thinned and the loggers used my lease property for log sets. These sets eventually became my food plots and as many of you know, finding ground open to put plots on in farm country can be tough.

The first season I had several run-ins with the other hunters (who also lease) who even went as far as to steal my stands on one occasion. After several heated exchanges, they eventually "jumped" on the wrong person (my landowner), who had the property line "shot" the following day. The adjacent property lost as much as 50 feet starting at one end of the line that runs between the properties. This line runs about 3/4's of a mile in length.

I've never, nor have my guest to the best of my knowledge ever shot a deer standing on their property. As a matter of fact, I can play miles of video tape of bucks approaching our line where you can hear me whispering to my hunter that we have to wait for the animal to cross the line (there's no fence). Over the last several years things have calmed down between us, other than the fact they now park their ATV's directly behind the stands that we are in and are sure to take a "leak" or worse prior to leaving.

Of course this hasn't made a difference as we've continued to kill quality bucks each year. If I had the money to invest in towers I'd gladly build several of them in order to get my stands off the line, just to make everyone breath easier. However, 95% of what we do is archery hunting and as you know, trying to do so from a box stand simply isn't practical, especially while trying to film the hunt.

If anyone has any suggestions for an affordable alternative I'd love to hear your ideas.

ureyes
11-21-2011, 08:49 PM
I think they call it a ground blind.

What a sense of satisfaction it must be to take a #2 next to a guy's stand that is hunting your property line.

I wanna do that!!!

beauman
11-21-2011, 10:04 PM
UREYES, I like that idea... a #2 right next to their stand. The field they have permission to hunt is a pasture that is grazed down about as tall as my yard! Last year they had their stand on my huge black walnut tree! It took the warden calling them to remove it.
I am going to call the landowner. These clowns keep dragging deer over the fences, they will be breaking. Then his cows will be in my foodplots.

skillet
11-21-2011, 10:21 PM
We have two stands that are on property lines. One the land owner does not allow hunting on do to her fathers wishes. However we do have permission to track and recover any wounded deer on their property. The property line joins up to our 5 acre food plot. We hunt 40 yards off the plot on the line in the only tree big enough for a stand. We have never shot a deer on her side of the fence. They are going into the food plot most of the time anyway. The other neighbor "wants to be a good neighbor" . So we have a stand on the line facing my property but do not go onto his property except to recover a deer. If we had a chance at a deer on "good neighbors" side of the line i would shoot it. The 3rd neighbor boarders our sanctuary(30ac) so we don't have any stands on that side of the property.
Feel out your neighbor. I find that if you stay off their property they will stay off yours. Or offer to allow only late season hunting on your property. By doing so you are letting them know that at any other time of the year hunting off limits. Most people will not take you up on the offer. This tactic leaves the people believing you are trying to accomadate them;) Works everytime and just may get you some new late season spots for yourself.

lone cedar farm
11-21-2011, 10:24 PM
12 strands of 7' barbwire fence with a kicker strand at 8' from tree to tree, 1,000 feet of this stopped my worries, then hinged cut down the line...rabbits have a hard time getting thru! :D

Buckly
11-21-2011, 10:32 PM
I like the fence idea. Whats the spacing on the strands? Only problem is I need about 6000 ft of it. I think it would take ten years for me to build.:D

TnNIll
11-22-2011, 01:14 AM
To make a long story short, I'm currently, prosecuting a non-resident with a felony. But the local CPO, local DA and the sheriff has given the criminal clear instructions that in the state of Illinois, one can't cross or trespass on to other property for any reason including retrieving deer. I also work with a real estate attorney on a daily basis and according him one can not place a tree stand on the property line if there is a fence attached to the tree(where the stand is placed). I will post more about my situation later. Its amazing how one can destroy the image of so many others.

Smallplot
11-22-2011, 02:03 AM
That sucks and I feel your pain. I think about everyone has had problems with property line hunters in the past. I see why people think they need to hunt the fence lines but can't say I agree with it. If you don't have the trees or the respect to keep stands far enough off the line to keep everyone happy then you have three choices. 1- use ground blinds to effectively hunt your property, 2- find different property that you can hunt from tree stands if you feel tree stands are necessary, or 3- find a different hobby.

I might sound gruff about this but people did not start hunting deer from tree stands, they started from the ground. Hunting from the ground can be just as effective and we have all read articles about it. I myself hunt from the ground if the situation call for it. Or maybe you just have to be a better hunter to hunt from the ground. :p

John Brown Jr.
11-22-2011, 03:20 PM
I think they call it a ground blind.

What a sense of satisfaction it must be to take a #2 next to a guy's stand that is hunting your property line.

I wanna do that!!!

Now that would make some "different" television. :p Ground blinds aren't really an option either as the property goes underwater several times each season and yes, the deer do notice them if they're not left out for a long period of time.

Jim Timber
11-22-2011, 04:33 PM
Deer get used to them pretty quick if you aren't shooting at them from the moment they first encounter it.

I've had deer walk right up to the window on mine and look in, because "I" wasn't there the last time they saw it... They don't live to tell their friends when that happens. ;)

Seriously, I've shot deer at 10 feet out of my blind.

lone cedar farm
11-22-2011, 04:53 PM
I like the fence idea. Whats the spacing on the strands? Only problem is I need about 6000 ft of it. I think it would take ten years for me to build.:D

I ran mine on 6" centers and hinge cut to boot.....my neighbors a whiney little arse now. He's killed 1 little button head so far this year, hangs his head low along with a poochy face when he see's me, but he was warned! :D

MDuffy
11-22-2011, 05:01 PM
I also work with a real estate attorney on a daily basis and according him one can not place a tree stand on the property line if there is a fence attached to the tree(where the stand is placed).

First I've heard of this??

USFWC
11-22-2011, 06:02 PM
First deer I ever shot jumped the neighbor's fence and ran out of sight. I followed where he ran and jumped the fence, but never found a drop of blood even though I'd made a great shot on it. A while later, my neighbor trailed the deer back to me. Since the blood trail didn't start for a little ways after he had jumped the fence, he could have easily accused me of shooting it on their side of the fence. Instead, he helped show a young man how to track his first deer, gut it, then helped drag it back to our side of the fence.

Blood doesn't always immediately start spewing out, I probably would have given him the benefit of the doubt and asked him to move the stands off the line a little further to avoid the constant encroachment onto your property.

...also I had an instance with a neighbor at our lake property who came to quick judgment on me one day. A week earlier, the lake was really high and had flooded his front porch, part screened, part unscreened. The screened area looked like someone had gotten into it and knocked stuff all around. In his yard, all of his chairs were floating around in the water as I came by in my waders fishing. I picked up all of his lawn furniture, set it on the higher part of his porch and left it. Some of the neighbors saw me doing so and apparently told the man I had been on his property. Instead of a 'thank you', I got a major butt chewing. Never once did he ask what I was doing and I did not volunteer the information. Next time all his furniture will float to the middle of the lake...or I'll just document what I'm doing while I'm doing it so I can prove to him what I was doing.

Anyway, setting boundaries is necessary. How we set them is our choice, but a slight forgiveness may be necessary at times when it comes to neighbors. If not, owning that property can be very difficult even with the best of neighbors.

RLW
11-22-2011, 06:24 PM
I've found two of my stands this year where someone has cut additional limbs for shooting lanes. I would be happy to have my neighbors just sitting on their side of the fence.