PDA

View Full Version : habitat improvement

wildfire
11-16-2011, 11:51 AM
I have been spraying buckthorn for the last 6 weeks. I now can see this will be a 5 year project. 80 acres and some up to 6" in diameter. There must be male and female trees, as to some large trees do not have berries. Is it ok not to spray the male trees and target the ones with berries? I also have lots of prickly ash, been using a extractagator to pull them out. Is prickly ash removal important for good habitat? Also have lots of ironwood, is its removal imoprtant? Lots of mature oak trees, ash, birch, basswood, and aspen. Have been opening up areas approximately an acre each to relase smaller oaks. Not clear cut , but hinged. I have had more buck sign in the areas that have been hinged than I can remember. I am only 67 and have hunted that property for 55 years. Things that have been done to the property other than 4 acres of food plots, and trails between the plots are 50 canadian hemlock, 50 fruit trees (apple, plum, crabapple, pear, peach and apricot) it 50 hybrid oak trees and 25 hazelnut. The area use to be a pasture, but has not been used for 50 years.

letemgrow
11-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Prickly ash is native I believe...focus on the nasty buckthorn first before you worry about the prickly ash.

I have some on my farm, its not much to worry about when it comes to spreading, but don't walk through it. ;)

j-bird
11-16-2011, 02:26 PM
I don't think the ironwood would be a significant issue either. Ironwood is native here in IN and it never gets big enough to be a serious issue. I don't think it has any real value, but I don't think it is harmful either. I would focus on invasive shrubs, and trees. If the mature trees include the birch, basswood, ash and aspen that you mentioned, you may try to see if a selective timber harvest won't help. These trees don't provide alot of wildlife value and may help get more light to the ground. It may also put some change in your pocket (remember these are not high value trees on the timber market). I did a select cut last year and it is amazing how much things change. The additional browse created and the tree tops thicken up the woods. It first looked like a disaster area, but only a year later I know it was the right thing to do. Also remember that deer can find the acorns easier if there is not as much understory around your oaks.

Jameson
11-16-2011, 04:10 PM
I don't believe that there are male and female buckthorn trees (suppose a google search would provide the answer....) They are like apple trees. Won't produce fruit until they are big, and than they may not every year. I would think starting with berry producing trees and than moving onto the rest is a decent plan.

wildfire
11-16-2011, 08:35 PM
I checked, and buckthorn has both male and female plants. IPAW Buckthorn Identification First remove the plants with berries, the female plants!

St. Croix
11-16-2011, 09:56 PM
Male or female- do not walk past a buckthorn to kill buckthorn! The hack and squirt method is quick and effective. You can effectively kill buckthorn 5 parts diesel to one part Garlan 4 while easily identifying treated plants.