PDA

View Full Version : Buck shed already...what was wrong?

Gator
10-30-2011, 10:24 AM
I found a shed on Friday in a recently plowed food plot so I know without a doubt it's a recent shed. The base is concave instead of flat. Someone suggested maybe he had some kind of infection and the antler was only attached around the outer edges. Anyone seen this? Know what causes/d it?

Gator
10-30-2011, 10:25 AM
Pic of entire antler.

Gator
10-30-2011, 10:27 AM
And him still in velvet. Looked plenty healthy to me.

Geo
10-30-2011, 11:29 AM
Better concave than convex, maybe broke off in a tussel.

G

John Paul
10-30-2011, 01:16 PM
Better concave than convex, maybe broke off in a tussel.

G

I guess that could be possible especially if the antler was weak on the inside and once he started to fight with another buck it broke off. Never seen one shed that early in the season!

FloridaBoy
10-30-2011, 01:30 PM
Is it possible that it was from last spring and was dragged out into the plot by a critter? Any tooth marks on it?

Looking at the velvet photo, it looks like the tip has more curve to it than the shed. It might just be the angle of the photo though.

Gator
10-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Is it possible that it was from last spring and was dragged out into the plot by a critter? Any tooth marks on it?

I highly doubt it. Antler still had weight to it which they seem lighter after they've been out there for a year and no chew marks.

Geo
10-30-2011, 03:46 PM
Looks more porus than normal.

G

winterquartersmgr
10-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Did anyone notice the two holes in the burr of the antler? Never seen that...

foggy
10-30-2011, 05:14 PM
Did anyone notice the two holes in the burr of the antler? Never seen that...

Noticed those holes too......odd if it's actually this years antler. Sure looks like your deer pic (with antlers) tho.

ed1959
10-30-2011, 10:17 PM
Gator what state are you in?

Down here in South Florida our deer start dropping their antlers end of Dec. Our rut is in early to mid August. This is the case for most low lying areas down here.

Just curious if you are in Fla?

Gator
10-31-2011, 12:40 PM
Gator what state are you in?

Not anymore. :) This is a Virginia deer.

I assume that it was knocked off in a sparring match but still, it must of had some kind of issue to come off. I've seen plenty of broken main beams but never seen a whole antler knocked off.

fiveyear
10-31-2011, 01:25 PM
He looks healthy and the antler looks healthy. My bet is the rut and a good fight. Maybe it got broken while he was in velvet(i.e.soft) then it took a while for the fracture to become weak enough. Just a guess. I've seen a lot of broken antlers in velvet.

Maybe that early snow storm scared the antlers off him!!!:eek: :eek: