PDA

View Full Version : Edward Fort Nurseries "deer pears"

PPosey
10-22-2011, 01:22 PM
They have 4 different "special deer pears" listed anybody use these and or recomend them over other varieties,,,

http://edwardfortnurseries.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=edfort.tpl&product_id=42&category_id=9&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=57

http://edwardfortnurseries.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=edfort.tpl&product_id=43&category_id=9&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=57

http://edwardfortnurseries.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=edfort.tpl&product_id=41&category_id=9&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=57

Ohh and I already have a couple Keiffer pears,,, I am looking to replace some apple trees that died,, feeding the deer is #1 priority

THE, LLC
10-22-2011, 02:09 PM
I have some of their Trophy Pears, but they are eat up with fireblight. Both have died back tot he roots twice. I think they are what spread it to my keiffers as well. Now those trophy pears will regrow in a dang hurry---over 5 feet in a single year, but then the blight comes back again. Hard to beat just regular keiffers for a deer pear.

Cyprus
10-23-2011, 07:50 PM
I planted 3 each of EFN's Lowcountry, Trophy and Doc's special pear trees in January '09. Location is the coastal plain in Georgia, zone 8, about 70 miles from the coast. The Lowcountry's and the Trophy's had a bit of fireblight that first year that killed a couple of shoots and a few spurs. All trees are doing well up to now.

The other varieties I've planted in the past two years are: Seckle, Orient, Keifer, Pineapple and Moonglow. These I get from a local nursery and they are doing fine also.

I did not get much fruit production this year due to weather. The Trophy's actually produced the most. They're all gone as of now. I'm a pear eatin' machine like the deer:D

As THE stated, the Keifers are very resistant to fireblight and disease as are all the others that I've planted.

My next pear trees will come from:
http://www.wildlifegroup.com/plantlist

I plan on having as many varieties as possible

brushpile
10-23-2011, 09:23 PM
Kiefer, why plant anything else?

criggster
10-23-2011, 09:55 PM
When do the keiffer's start dropping? I have a neighbor with a semi-dwarf size pear tree that is always loaded. It just started dropping pears this past week and they hang on the tree very well. I thought about trying to get some cuttings and getting someone to graft them onto rootstock. It seems as though they would be great for the hunting season.

brushpile
10-23-2011, 10:20 PM
When do the keiffer's start dropping? I have a neighbor with a semi-dwarf size pear tree that is always loaded. It just started dropping pears this past week and they hang on the tree very well. I thought about trying to get some cuttings and getting someone to graft them onto rootstock. It seems as though they would be great for the hunting season.

Mine are still hanging, waiting for the rut.:D When they drop, they last, and don't turn to mush. Two years from planting until pears on grafted trees.

D Hunter
10-25-2011, 06:42 AM
Posey I have planted 14 trees from EFN. All have lived and grown well. Only a few pears so far. This year was the 3rd leaf for me. They still are not widely branched as I am trying for a mostly upright tree form. We have a lot of bears. I hope to have the first limb above 6 feet to keep the bears from breaking them all to pieces. We will see if this strategy works. As to variety, I have trophy, low country, and Doc's Special. Doc's is very vigorous, trophy is average and low country is a bit slow here in WNC. Low country seems to be fire blight sensitive, trophy has some resistance and doc's is pretty immune. We had terrible fire blight last year but still did not lose a tree even though I thought we might at the time. I would like to try the other winter pear from EFN. His trees are very well grown trees. THe best bare root trees I have ever seen. Good hunting and deer farming. "D"

Scarecrow
10-25-2011, 07:15 AM
Mine are still hanging, waiting for the rut.:D When they drop, they last, and don't turn to mush. Two years from planting until pears on grafted trees.

brush......where did u purchase your trees from?

brushpile
10-25-2011, 07:56 AM
Century Farm Orchard, and they're on MM111 roots. I also picked up some potted from a Lowes Fall Sale, but have no idea what roots they're on.

Late Spring frost and drought wiped out all other fruit to include apples, peaches, apricots, and plums; but the Kiefers have been no fail.

NH Mountains
10-25-2011, 08:38 AM
We have a lot of bears. I hope to have the first limb above 6 feet to keep the bears from breaking them all to pieces. We will see if this strategy works.
Bear will climb the trees to get to the fruit. If the tree limbs can't hold their weight then they'll snap off. Ask Big Mike about that. They can cause a ton of damage.
Your best bet will be to remove as much fruit as possible until the trees get bigger. Lots of work.

johnrpb
10-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Bear will climb the trees to get to the fruit. If the tree limbs can't hold their weight then they'll snap off. Ask Big Mike about that. They can cause a ton of damage.
Your best bet will be to remove as much fruit as possible until the trees get bigger. Lots of work.

Electrcic fence (very hot) can help to keep them away but isn't foolproof. Going to try putting down a down a square of plywood with roofing nails sticking through it. They’re got pretty tender feet and this should help to discourage them (or enrage them and make them completely destroy the tree).

bigmike
10-25-2011, 08:08 PM
I recommend shooting all bears on site. They've ruined 6 years of my hard work by destroying all my fruit trees. Use saboted 30-06 50grain varmint loads. They cannot be traced to your gun. Muzzleloaders work well too.

D Hunter
10-26-2011, 05:35 AM
I have heard wrapping the trunk in barbed wire will work for bears. Any body tried that? "D"

PPosey
10-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Thanks for all the pear info guys! I have the bears as well, one was sniffing my jerky oven on the deck the other night and had to be ran off,,, see a couple every year but hopefully they will not flat out kill the trees just maim them. and bears are pretty tasty if properly cooked.

PPosey
10-27-2011, 12:15 PM
and we usta use the nails through plywood deterrent in Alaska with some mixed results,,, a determined bear is a hard critter to deter.

bigmike
10-27-2011, 09:01 PM
Do a search on "bear" and see my posts in which i have pictures of the damage they've done at our place.

NH Mountains
10-27-2011, 11:09 PM
I have heard wrapping the trunk in barbed wire will work for bears. Any body tried that? "D" I doubt that would deter them if they really wanted the fruit. Remember they can stand upright 6+ feet and pull themselves up or the limbs down or off.