PDA

View Full Version : What stage do Deer eat the sorghum?

mduray24
10-03-2011, 11:42 PM
I have about an acre of sorghum that I planted the last week of may. IT came up really great and the heads are thick and full of seeds. The deer havn't touched them at all yet and I thought they would have at least tried them by now.
The seeds are still the yellow color.

Thanks for the help!

TnNIll
10-04-2011, 12:09 AM
I've seen them eat the sorgham at all stages, but they seem to prefer them shortly after maturity - the grain will be red. Thye are hitting the sorgham hard right now around here.

banc123
10-04-2011, 07:02 AM
Sorghum will be like brassicas if never planted before and not a typical ag crop for the area; there may be a learning curve. I could never get them to eat them at all. Grant Woods planted them for the first time this year and recently posted a video of them starting to browse them.

buckhunter10
10-04-2011, 07:27 AM
I must have gotten lucky because I planted them for the first time this year,and the deer smashed them once the tops turned a bright red...deer broke the stalks off all over the place! I was impressed!

DJ"S Plot
10-04-2011, 07:42 AM
I watched them mowing it down last night! I will plant a strip every year.

buckdeer1
10-04-2011, 09:24 AM
They usually hit mine when green and milky and then again after it gets ripe.This year with the drought they ate it all before it ripened.

THOMAS9N
10-04-2011, 06:59 PM
i had your luck,first year planting sorgum here,deer didn't touch it. plowed it under last weekend,and planted ww. i'm not giving up yet,will give it another go next year. too many people have said it's a good plot,plus the extention office gives the seed away for free in the spring.

bigmike
10-04-2011, 07:45 PM
i planted a blend a few years ago that had sorghum in it. they ate everything but the sorghum and it ripened and we waited and waited and waited and bam they ate it all in one week. they were walking around in it in the middle of the day like they were drunk searching for more. i won't plant it again. takes up too much room for a weeks worth of feed.

Scarecrow
10-05-2011, 06:56 AM
I planted about 2 acres for the 1st time this year. Grew very well. Seed heads look great. Cover is outstanding. I don't believe the deer have touched it yet.

Massey135
10-05-2011, 08:08 AM
I had the same results as Big Mike - they clobbered it in about 3 days -1 acre. Unfortunately, I wasn't in a tree stand.

Jcliff
10-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Ditto Massey and BigMike - Really draught tolerant, but they hammer it and it's gone. Using Forage Sorghum now for taller cover, mixed with forage Soys along the border and to break up big fields and then pure ag soys in the center. Amazing how it can turn completely yellow and look dead in a draught and then spring back to life when the rains come.

Scarecrow
10-12-2011, 04:17 PM
If they don't use it between now and winter do you think they will hit the seed heads come Jan/Feb ? I hope so......I really love the cover it provides and looks like it will definately stay standing through the winter. Would love to keep planting this as cover plots....but not if it doesn't provide a food source as well.