PDA

View Full Version : should I be seeing results yet?

bigeight
10-03-2011, 10:44 AM
I basal sprayed a couple acres worth of buckthorn about a week and a half ago with a 5:1 mix of desil/garlon 4. Sprayed about 14" up the tree to the ground. With my imagination I think I can see a little wilting but not sure???

How long does a treatment like this take to see some weakening of the tree? Not worried about quick results, just would like to see if I missed some trees, spots etc. Or if I did not get enough contact before my first rain (5 hours).

Any info would be appreciated :)

letemgrow
10-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Was the the recommended mix ratio for buckthorn? Its 3:1 from everything I have read.

bigeight
10-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Good to know if it is 3:1, I was going to do some more tomorrow.

With a 3:1, how long will it take to see some wilting?

Tree Spud
10-03-2011, 11:46 AM
I have also always used 3:1.

Usually I see wilting in 3-5 weeks depending on the tree & size.

TrademarkTexan
10-03-2011, 12:35 PM
It usually takes a while for me, depending on the species. I would expect to see some change in leaf coloration within 4 weeks, but I had some stuff I sprayed in April that took several months. They're all D-E-A-D now, though.

BadgerBob
10-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Our county forester recommended 12.5-20 percent garlon/element 4 solution for buckthorn. I've been using about 15% and have not had to treat any buckthorn a 2nd time.

14" should be plenty, even for big ones. I think you will see some noticeable wilting within the next week. We've done some spraying shortly before rains too, and it still did the trick.

Good luck!

Timber Doodle
10-03-2011, 08:04 PM
There are always recommended ratios for mixing, but do what works for you. I learned from mixing it too weak and so I bumped it up to 1:5 which is still considered weak by many, but I haven't had to retreat any of those I've done either. It varies on how soon I see the plant reacting. Sometimes it is less than a week later, other times two weeks. Generally it is within a two week period where you'll at least begin to notice wilting.

Be sure to keep an eye on the areas within the drip line of the buckthorn. The vast majority of the berries fall directly underneath, and if there is no competition then all it needs is a little bit of light to fill in completely with seedlings. It will be extremely important to do follow-up treatments after the initial eradication to keep it under control.

Good luck.