PDA

View Full Version : sock storage

bigeight
09-27-2011, 12:49 PM
What do you do for you in season sock storage?

I always get in from hunting, undress and put all my cloths directly in a scent free tote. Then I am left with a few layers of slightly sweated in hunting socks.

What do you do with them between now and your next hunt?

fiveyear
09-27-2011, 01:08 PM
I wash them in scent free soap and store in plastic bag with more scent free socks and underwear.

November Sunrise
09-27-2011, 01:26 PM
Except the outer layers, all clothes are washed after every hunt and put back into storage bins.

bigeight
09-27-2011, 02:09 PM
So you wash your cloths right after your morning hunts and dry them by the time you are going out to hunt in the evening? Then wash and dry them that night to get ready for the morning hunt the following day....all season long?

Jim Timber
09-27-2011, 04:43 PM
You only have one complete hunting outfit? :eek:

It's early season, and still too damn hot for my lighter camo stuffs...

I change clothes if I've been sweating, and yes, they get washed before being worn again.

Wearing an undershirt is a good idea, as it can take the brunt of your stink production and you can just wear another one without stinking up your outer layer.

I also spray the hell out of them with scent killer if it's been on me and hasn't been washed after use.

Tap
09-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Mark,
I never wear socks or any base layer more than one time without laundering, especially the socks. I figure the base layer is the one that absorbs most skin oil, sweat, and dead skin. after the hunt, those clothes go in a basket separate from anything else, then get washed separate from my outer layers. I keep base layers separate from outer layers for 2 reasons... one is so my outer layers are kept away from skin oil as much as possible, the other is to keep any burrs that may be stuck to my outer layer from getting on the inside of my base layer, which can happen in the washer. It sucks to get all dressed and find out there is a burr stuck to the inside of the base layer and it's jabbing the middle of someplace hard to reach! Sometimes it's not discovered until the beginning of the hunt. It can be annoying.

bigeight
09-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Well...I like to run a cycle with no cloths in it and just scent free detergent in it before I run my real load. Never know what was in there the load before with a wife and 2 kids. I guess I have to buy about 20 pair of hunting socks and under shirts. I usually wash my outer wear about every 6 times out or so. Store them in tote with scent wafers, 3-4 baking soda contaimers and some activated carbon. The socks I keep out, and need a better system for.:o. I guess I will buy a set for every consecutive days I plan to hunt

November Sunrise
09-27-2011, 06:15 PM
So you wash your cloths right after your morning hunts and dry them by the time you are going out to hunt in the evening? Then wash and dry them that night to get ready for the morning hunt the following day....all season long?

When I hunt all day I'd hunt in the same clothes in the afternoon as in the morning.

Typically though I hunt mornings in October and November and afternoons in December, and at any one time there's always at least 3-4 clean outfits (long underwear, pants, shirts, light jacket) in a storage bin ready for action. I store my outerwear (bibs, coat, gloves, backpack) in a scent free bag between hunts. I usually wear outerwear on 2-3 hunts before washing it.

fiveyear
09-29-2011, 07:19 AM

You are in michigan so it may work for you. Down here I drive 6 hours to GA to hunt. So I carry enough clothes to hunt 3-10 days. I switch out underwear socks and t shirt every day. Depending on temp I shower every AM before hunt. If in 30's at night and 50-60 may go 2 days. That happens later in season when temps are cold and most camp work is done. We have a washer and dryer at camp. I only use it if I run out. My outer layer is every day or every other day. Two layers out the jacket and orange vest only have only have one change.

If I cut a trailer of firewood load, haul and unload. Build box blinds or move stands all day I may change more frequently.