PDA

View Full Version : Relocating existing trees

Tundra
03-20-2006, 01:00 PM
I've read alot of threads here asking about fast growing plants to be used for visual screens around food plots. I was wondering if anyone has tried moving existing trees such as pines that are already 4 to 8 feet tall? I have quite a few Red Pines in that size range, but they are scattered throughout an old field. I have the equipment to move them, but wasn't sure if they would survive. I thought that could give me an instant screen or even plant several together in a block say 6 feet apart for cover for wildlife. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Honker
03-20-2006, 01:20 PM
I did this on my property bach in January with soeme white cedar, pine and balsam. They are in a moist area. I think you need to get a good amount of soil around the roots and make sure they get enough water the first year. I planted mine prety thick, but there are only two rows. Time will tell.

hunterrep
03-20-2006, 02:14 PM
I have relocated red cedars before with great success. These are relatively shallow root systems and are a very hardy tree. Take as big of a root ball as you can to insure survival. Generally, if it has a deep tap root, the survival rate won't be as good because you cant dig it out without breaking it. You can't water a transplanted tree or shrub too much so water a lot if you can.