PDA

View Full Version : windows for deer blind

trook
08-29-2011, 10:15 PM
I am about to build a deer stand, approximately 6x8, and I am trying to find a place to buy windows without burning a hole in my wallet. :o I am looking for something in the 24x24 or 24x36 range. The cheapest I have found is $81 at Lowe's. Can anyone give me a source of windows at a good price?

Ohio Darin
08-29-2011, 10:41 PM
Is this a rifle or bow blind. Just asking because your window sizes are a little odd to me. I try to stick to no more than 10" to 12" in one direction to conceal movement. So 12" high by 36" for a rifle blind and 12" wide by 36" tall for a bow stand.

Have you considered using plexiglass and making your own?

edit - You might want to consider a building re-use center....

Da U.P. 'eh
08-29-2011, 11:12 PM
Trook,

I don't know what may be available in Mississippi, but here in Wisconsin I have been buying used, reclaimed, basement windows. These are wood sash single pane and usually between 24 and 36 in. wide by about 14 in high. They work great when I hinge them at the top so that you can flip them up to a verticle position and hold them there with tabs of velcro. Easy and no noise!

I've been paying $10 to $12 each for them. Just one idea.

garyc
08-30-2011, 12:11 AM
I don't know if they're cheaper, but these guys sell windows made for deer blinds.

http://www.deerviewwindows.com/index.php

DavidB
08-30-2011, 08:50 AM
One other option might be to look at RV outlets such as Camping World.

buckfever37
08-30-2011, 09:09 AM
You also could use clear plexiglass..probably be the cheapest. Just take some 1x1 around it for a frame.

BeckFarms
08-30-2011, 09:17 AM
You also could use clear plexiglass..probably be the cheapest. Just take some 1x1 around it for a frame.

Talking from experience....I do not recommend plexiglass. First of all, it really is not much cheaper than the windows at Lowe's. Second, it shatters easily during the winter snow storms here in Nebraska. I believe it gets too cold and the strong winds always seem to crack it. I replaced plexiglass 3 times before getting smart and just buying windows at Menards. If you want your blind to last 10+ years, just but the better windows now.

buckfever37
08-30-2011, 09:30 AM
Talking from experience....I do not recommend plexiglass. First of all, it really is not much cheaper than the windows at Lowe's. Second, it shatters easily during the winter snow storms here in Nebraska. I believe it gets too cold and the strong winds always seem to crack it. I replaced plexiglass 3 times before getting smart and just buying windows at Menards. If you want your blind to last 10+ years, just but the better windows now.

how thick was the plexiglass? It may work for the guy since he is in the south. Hey beckfarms where are you in nebraska? I have done alot of soilsampling in nebraska and i laugh when i hear people say nebraska is flat.

BeckFarms
08-30-2011, 11:23 AM
how thick was the plexiglass? It may work for the guy since he is in the south. Hey beckfarms where are you in nebraska? I have done alot of soilsampling in nebraska and i laugh when i hear people say nebraska is flat.

Ya....our land is far from flat. I'm near Center, Nebraska in knox county. Our land looks nothing like what people expect.

The plexiglass I used was 1/4th inch thick and would always crack. It was also slightly difficult designing the best way to open the window without making noise. It turned out to be far cheaper just to buy the cheap sliding windows at Menards. Plus the fit perfect and seal up nicely.

buckdeer1
08-30-2011, 11:44 AM
On my horizontal windows I took a couple old storm window frames and use the long side for track for the plexi glass.mount on the outside and run a bolt with a double nut on it through on end for a handle and they work great.Also take a piece of roofing drip edge and mount above window to divert water away from window

trook
08-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the replys, guys. I have been using plexiglass, but I am not satisfied with it. Maybe it's the way I mount it, but using hinges, I don't get a good seal around the cutouts, and I want to eliminate the wind (and bugs).

Knowing the costs of plexiglass, I can't help but wonder if there is an alternative for "real" windows for not much more cost. Hence, the sizes I noted, but I'm not real particular.

The Lowe's here sells their "cheap" windows for $80!! I have seen where home depot sells some for $40, but they have the unfinished aluminum. I know it may not matter, but I don't particularly care to have a huge glare coming off the window frames right at shooting time!! :p

The bottom line is that if I intend to build a quality 6x8 stand for the kids, I want it to be comfortable. If I can find real windows for slightly more than plexiglass, I will explore that option.

Keep the replys coming!!! :D

Massey135
08-30-2011, 12:29 PM
I'd go with the 40 dollar home depot window and a can of 4 dollar paint;)

Beechnut
08-30-2011, 01:04 PM
Like someone else recommended, go to a salvage building supply store and have a look around. They may not have what you're looking for, but they might. We go to The Restore, a Habitat for Humanity store that has great deals and a lot to chose from. Not sure if they have those where you're from. Heck, even a Salvation Army or Goodwill store. The good thing about these stores is you can dicker with them.

booner sooner
08-30-2011, 10:21 PM
I am currently building a 6x6 blind elevated 6ft.. I just bought the windows, it was an 1/8" shatter resistant, non yellowing clear plastic at Lowes.. It's not stiff like plexiglass, cost me $9.80 for each 18"x24" peice.. Build the frames out of furring strips, sandwich the window material between the "outside" and "inside" frames with clear silicone and screw through all of it around the edges to suck it all together... Works great, and I will post pics Thursday or Friday if you need..

trook
08-30-2011, 10:31 PM
yes, please post pics

Dutchboy
08-31-2011, 03:20 AM

This. Buy the cheapest windows you can find before trying to build your own. Its very hard (and not that cheap) to build weather-proof windows from scratch. Also, plexiglass will fog up, which will cause the occupants to scrape it off repeatedly, and that will scratch the heck out of plexiglass.
Honestly, it just isnt worth the trouble to make windows unless you need something you cant buy or dont care if it is weather proof. Watch for sales!