PDA

View Full Version : Butyrac time to effect

LykinsTr21x
08-24-2011, 07:39 PM
Sprayed 3rd/ac 12 day ago over clover plot with broadleaf . Expected massive kill but BL are bent over and still green looks like some kind of effect but expected more.no additives. Sprayed clethodium 2 weeks prior. Will they die? Or did I do something wrong

VHORN4
08-24-2011, 09:37 PM
Lykins,

I'll take stab at it and see what the others think... It could be several things, but I'm from your area and we have been VERY DRY. If the plants aren't growing well at your farm, it will take much longer and the chemical will have less affect. I too thought about spraying last weekend, but I chose not to because of the weather.

A second reason could be old chemical that has lost its effectiveness. That is unlikely, but you don't want your chemical to freeze and thaw in the winters.

Third reason could be weeds are too big and mature. I "believe" that they advise to spray Butyrac on new growth not old growth.

Fourth and final possibility is that you didn't use the correct amount of chemical with surfactant. The amount of chemical used will depend on what broadleaf you're trying to kill.

It could be any of these reasons, but if you don't have discoloration in three weeks, you probably didn't get a kill...

Good luck,
VHORN

foodplotdude
08-24-2011, 09:44 PM
I would suggest that you identify the broadleaf weeds you are trying to control and match them up with the broadleaf weeds that Butyrac WILL control. VHORN mentioned weather and you want to make sure the plants are pulling moisture when you hit them. If it is dry and hot with little moisture, spraying typically loses 90% of its effectiveness. I assume you used crop oil with the mix?

I would start there first and see what you come up with

Alpha Doe
08-24-2011, 10:50 PM
I'll second the type of weed that you are trying to kill. Butyrac has two lists, weeds controlled and weeds suppressed. Neither list is real long. Butyrac doesn't control all broadleaf weeds.

LykinsTr21x
08-24-2011, 11:21 PM
Thanks for input, yes it's was dry, no crop oil, mowed in July so height is bout 6inchs. Mostly ragweed but some others don't know. And the chemical is 2 hrs old and would not doubt it has froze in past. Have had some rain but still dry. I think probable all factors at play. All weeds wilty just not brown. If all factors perfect how how to see a kill?

Alpha Doe
08-24-2011, 11:30 PM
For sure by two weeks.

LykinsTr21x
08-25-2011, 05:41 PM
thanks for the feedback....hoping it does the work, just slowed down due to lack of rain