PDA

View Full Version : Feeding deer wheat (seed)

Bigger Bucks
08-18-2011, 09:10 AM
First off, I'm not trying to start a thread about the pro's and con's of feeding deer....I have a 1500 pound gravity feeder (Sweeney), with all the choices of food plots and available forage, deer are eating 300 pounds a week of a pellet sold by Southern States, and shelled corn at about a 60/40 mix!
We have quite a bit of wheat seed/cover crop available, is there a reason that wheat seed cannot be fed. I have an animal nutrition background but it has been quite a few years.
If I remember right seems like cattle can eat too much of a wheat (seed)ration/mix.....I did a search on here with no results. BB

TnNIll
08-18-2011, 01:49 PM
I'm sure you can feed deer wheat, the queswtion is how much. Free ranging deer will eat every seed head in a week on our 1acre plot food once it matures about the end of June. What % of the wheat is the deer's diet, I would not think no more than 10%. As for feeding deer nothing but wheat from a feeder, I would say their intake would increase to maybe 20%, I honestly would not know. For many years we would feed our steers and heifers approx 5 to 1 ratio of crushed corn and wheat.Typically much wheat will cause bloating.

CaveCreek
08-18-2011, 10:21 PM
First off, I'm not trying to start a thread about the pro's and con's of feeding deer....I have a 1500 pound gravity feeder (Sweeney), with all the choices of food plots and available forage, deer are eating 300 pounds a week of a pellet sold by Southern States, and shelled corn at about a 60/40 mix!
We have quite a bit of wheat seed/cover crop available, is there a reason that wheat seed cannot be fed. I have an animal nutrition background but it has been quite a few years.
If I remember right seems like cattle can eat too much of a wheat (seed)ration/mix.....I did a search on here with no results. BB

Why feed free choice corn? Not very good from a nutrition standpoint... particularly not the best warm season food supplement.

Wheat seed/cover crop? :confused: You have standing wheat, bagged wheat? not sure I know caught this... anyhow... if you are experiencing drought, deer will eat most anything, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is something for for them. Personally, if feeding free choice... I prefer a supplemental, blended protein ration.

Straight offerings of corn or wheat grain, are not going to be a very balanced offering... it substance, more so than nutrition.

Bigger Bucks
08-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Guess I didn't explain this very well....if the 21% protein pellet is not mixed with corn the deer do not eat it...I was looking at adding some bagged wheat! The 21% pellet is mixed at about 60%...40% corn.

CaveCreek
08-21-2011, 01:30 PM
Huh, I haven't seen a deer that didn't take to pellets, after being given time, to become accustom to them. Might try gradually reducing that corn rate (if you want).

I'd keep it for hunting attraction, but not per say for food supplement.