PDA

View Full Version : Deer census

scrimshaw33
08-09-2011, 08:49 AM
If I'm doing a 2 week QDM/deer census at 1 baited site per 100 acres, but still have a few other cameras with bait to get pictures of deer but don't include them in my census (only include the 1 cam per 100 acres), is that going to skew my results for determining the properties buck:doe ratio and population estimate, fawn recruitment, etc?

BSK_
08-09-2011, 09:06 AM
Only if you have pictures of unique bucks from those unincluded cameras. But I would use all the data collected during those two weeks.

scrimshaw33
08-09-2011, 09:23 AM
The reason I asked is I'm using the WISE program which I like a lot but it only allows one camera per 100 acres due to the computer program/formulas written to calculate the census numbers.

DeerGrad25
08-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Once you get south of the 1/100 mark your observability is not going to vary much especially at 2 weeks of a survey. Use it all at 1/100 and you are fine.

BSK_
08-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Once you get south of the 1/100 mark your observability is not going to vary much especially at 2 weeks of a survey. Use it all at 1/100 and you are fine.

That's not necessarily true. Every habitat is unique. In highly diverse habitat, some deer can have tiny summer home-range sizes.

In some situations, the density of cameras may need tobe increased until individual bucks are being picked up on multiple cameras.

huntersclub.com
08-09-2011, 05:43 PM
The reason I asked is I'm using the WISE program which I like a lot but it only allows one camera per 100 acres due to the computer program/formulas written to calculate the census numbers.

I was on a conference call with the QDMA guys and asked them this question, and Kip Adams basically told me that more than 1 camera per 100 acres just increases the percentage of deer you see.

If anyone knows of an algorithm to use as you increase and decrease cameras per 100 acres, let me know and I can add it pretty easily.

banc123
08-09-2011, 05:45 PM
In some situations, the density of cameras may need to be increased until individual bucks are being picked up on multiple cameras.

Thats what I try to do is have overlap of individual bucks showing up on more than 1 camera. I found a group that travels throughout 300 acres and a couple that stick to much smaller areas. 900 acres total

huntersclub.com
08-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Thats what I try to do is have overlap of individual bucks showing up on more than 1 camera. I found a group that travels throughout 300 acres and a couple that stick to much smaller areas. 900 acres total

Do you move cameras until this is the case? How often do you check them to ensure this?

banc123
08-09-2011, 06:51 PM
Do you move cameras until this is the case? How often do you check them to ensure this?

I run them all year other than Feb-Mar , generally checking every 2-3 weeks. It ranges from 1 per 125 to 1 per 75 depending on how energetic I am. By the time the core surveys comes I have a pretty good idea which sections of habitat need a higher camera per acre and which ones don't to get overlap. But there is a clear difference between certain areas that need a higher ratio than others.

Without the experience through the summer, I'm sure I'd get it wrong with a random 1 per 100, at least for some areas.

BSK_
08-09-2011, 06:56 PM
No matter the density of cameras, if I were NOT getting pictures of individual bucks at more than one baited camera site, I would increase the density of cameras until I DID start getting overlap, just to ensure I was getting all the deer that will come to the bait.

Now 1 camera per 100 SHOULD be a high enough density, but I have heard of situations where deer have very small ranges. That's not normal, but it is possible.

yoderj@cox.net
08-09-2011, 07:45 PM
I wonder too if all of our QDM efforts contribute to creating smaller and smaller home ranges for deer.