PDA

View Full Version : New guy needing help on a new plot

HardTimeFarmer
07-20-2011, 11:11 AM
Hey guys, I've been searching this site for a good while now and have learned some valuable information.
Ok heres what Im working with.. I've decided to put a new plot in the woods and I'm trying to figure out what will be the best to break it with. I have several plots around our farm but this is the first one thats in the woods. Our big equipment will not fit back there so im in a delima as what to use.. I had to cut about 8 small pines roughly 4-6 inch trees, i have got the stumps pulled to. I was thinking i could find a small chisel plow or a two bottom and get back there to it, however its hard finding that small stuff anymore. I can fit our small 70hp chore tractor back there but anything much bigger would be a hassle. I've got a 8 foot harrow i can use once I get it broke up.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Ryan

winterquartersmgr
07-20-2011, 11:29 AM
Just a thought but can you just spray it with RU and then no-till the plot? You can even spray it and then broadcast what you want to plant before a rain. I have do it both ways and had great results. Do you have a small disc you could get back there?

schlag
07-20-2011, 12:31 PM
Some of the BEST clover plots I have ever had were in the woods where the soil was never touched to plant it. I just sprayed it 3 times of 6 months with Roundup. Limed it (on the surface as soon as I started spraying roundup) and fertilzed it. I then planted the clover directly on the surface. I have had luck in the spring and the fall. The spring plots were 95% prepared the following year though. This method works GREAT! Eventhough I did not use a tractor to plant them. I can reach them with a tractor and mow them regularly if I can.

ohiobowhunter75
07-20-2011, 01:00 PM
If you can find someone with a groundhog max,you could get it back there.If not I would spray it and plant something like clover or turnips that the rain could cover for you.

Massey135
07-20-2011, 01:44 PM
Check the savannah craigslist - I just saw a couple 2 bottom plows on it

gmil6184
07-20-2011, 03:17 PM
I think I would just rough the surface up with a disc or even a drag after spraying it

j-bird
07-20-2011, 04:24 PM
If your going to plant a small seed then simply breaking the ground will do. I use a small dics and simply break the ground after it is killed off with gly. Plant the clover this fall and you will have a nice plot come next year. If you get into the ground you will fight roots and the like and potentially break something. Actual tillage in wooded plots is not advised. You can struggle with room for the equipment and you tend to break things. I have even heard of people using garden tillers if the plot is small and mowing them with their lawn mower or weed wacker. Brassicas/cereal grains will also work well this way as well. Simply spread seed before a rain and you should be set.

HardTimeFarmer
07-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. They are really appreciated. I think after I do some more cleaning I can get it harrowed up good, then plant some winter wheat and peas to get something established.
Thanks again for the tips, hope to learn more from this site. Will try to post before and after pics soon.
Ryan