PDA

View Full Version : best weather for clover to grow?

CMURPHY
06-14-2011, 08:34 PM
Just wonderin because for the remainder of the week we are supposed to be cool and wet. 68-75 degrees for this week. The soil is heavy clay and it holds a fair amout of water if it rains to much (old gravel pit stripping). Today alone we got 1.5-2+ inches. The plot was dry as a bone last night.

Just a worried father a guess!

Thanks
Murph

CMURPHY
06-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Forgot to add the plot is brand new with about 1% of the seed germinated and growing.

yoderj@cox.net
06-14-2011, 11:09 PM
Clover is a cool season crop. I find it best to plant it in the fall with a cover crop. In my area, unless we get a particularly rainy fall, my clover provides little production in the fall. Much of it germinates. During the following spring, the perennial clover starts to take off. During that first spring, it is spending a lot of energy putting down roots. Mow the cover crop before it begins to shade out the clover. By summer, my plots may still be patchy. In my area the clover goes dormant during the July and Aug. When the fall rains come in Sept, it really takes off and fills in the field.

In my area, spring planted perennial clover usually does not do well. It will clearly grow, but I end up fighting a lot more weeds over the life of the plot. Spring planted clover simply doesn't have enough time to fill in and out-compete weeds before it goes dormant. Summer weeds that like the heat take off and add more weed seed to the plot.

Rick
06-15-2011, 07:13 AM
Agree whole-heartedly with what yoder just said......

whitetail fanatic
06-15-2011, 08:15 AM
Agree whole-heartedly with what yoder just said......

X2, Jack says it all. I would recommend not wasting your time planting clover, alfalfa, etc, in the spring. I fought it for years thinking I have to plant those in the spring. After reading from everyone on here about planting them in late summer early fall, I decided to try it and could not believe I could grow clover so nice and thick without weeds.

the pics below show a plot seeded with rye and clover in late August, pics taken in May. Rye, thick clover with no weeds:)

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx22/whitetailfanatic79/P1000638.jpg

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx22/whitetailfanatic79/P1000637.jpg

wildfire
06-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Could you use a annual clover mixed in with the perennial?

wildfire
06-15-2011, 03:49 PM
Could you use a annual clover mixed in with the perennial in the spring?

yoderj@cox.net
06-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Yes, you can. In fact you can use one when you plant in the fall. I often mix crimson clover in with my fall planted durana. Mixing annual clover in the spring can help to some degree because they take-off much quicker, but I still prefer planting clover in the fall.

I use spring to plant my warm season annuals.