PDA

View Full Version : what can I do to kill grass round my trees?

cubs3vols
05-29-2011, 06:02 PM
I planted Pine trees and Oak trees this February and the grass and weeds have taken over them. What can I spray to kill the grass around the trees without killing the trees?

wfd_jh
05-29-2011, 06:30 PM
if they are spruce trees you can use princep

cubs3vols
05-29-2011, 06:34 PM
No...they are pine and oaks.

hillbilly archer
05-29-2011, 09:55 PM
Are you wanting to use a chemical to treat? If not, what I do is use 2-3ft square pieces of old carpet with a X cut right in the middle and slip it over the seedling. It will smother and kill out weeds from lack of sunlight and help preserve moisture. I used this method last year for the first time and had great results considering the terrible drought. You will probably hear alot about black plastic too, which is very good also.

hillbilly archer
05-29-2011, 09:57 PM
I have also used roundup being very careful not to get it on the oaks or anywhere near pines. I have used a grass selective like Arrow around pines too. Both also worked well, but I had spray twice per growing season and this method will not conserve moisture like an actual weed barrier will.

brushpile
05-29-2011, 10:13 PM
Spray, almost drip glyphosate/roundup around your trees. Shield evergreens with cardboard. After burn down, put black plastic, or cardboard around your trees.

Glyphosate does not go into the ground and kill roots. It only kills what it comes in contact with above ground.

HabitatMD
05-29-2011, 10:40 PM
We were plotting in a pecan tree orchard (small trees) and we just put trashbags over the trees and then just sprayed over them with glypho.

hillbilly archer
05-29-2011, 10:45 PM
How many trees are we talking here?

cubs3vols
05-30-2011, 02:47 AM
we have 5 rows of pines about 500 yards long. so we have alot of trees! I was wondering if I could spray the grass and tree and everything. And it kill only the grass....and not the tree.

MAGNUS
05-30-2011, 06:38 AM
If it's just grass you're having a problem with ---- you can use a grass-only herbicide like Clethodim or Fusilade --- and go right over the top of everything. It will not harm your trees but will kill the grasses. Can take up to a couple of weeks to kill certain grasses but should get you squared away.

cubs3vols
05-30-2011, 12:34 PM
OK how do I get some Clethodim or Fusilade? Where do I get it at?

ALwoodsman
05-30-2011, 07:57 PM
I have been using Poast Plus on mine. I bought it at the local co-op. It will only kill grass so it can be sprayed over your trees.

buckfever37
05-30-2011, 08:01 PM
OK how do I get some Clethodim or Fusilade? Where do I get it at?

you can get clethodim at ruralking.com for 60 bucks a gallon.

Younghunter
05-30-2011, 08:33 PM
I would check a local farm co-op first and compare prices... but if you need to, Rural King has a really good price for Clethodim. Even on sale right now for $55.

Use a non-ionic surfactant for over trees. The label says crop oil (which is normally recommended) may harm the leaves. Ammonium sulfate is recommended to improve performance (especially if using hard water).

Clethodim:

http://www.ruralking.com/clethodim-1-gal.html

Non-ionic surfactant:

http://www.ruralking.com/humac-820-1-gallon.html

Ammonium Sulfate:

http://www.ruralking.com/liquid-ams-anti-drift-foam-softner.html

-Matt

Younghunter
05-30-2011, 08:44 PM
I just sprayed clethodim around my trees on Saturday. I tried to keep it away from hitting the leaves. I had an area where a bunch of trees were healed in for future transplanting and I did a little test on them and sprayed right over the top to see if there is any damage. We'll see how it goes...

A few more things... you should consider getting some hi-light dye for backpack spraying. It really helps you see your coverage so you don't over- or under-spray areas. I use about an ounce of dye per tank (3 gallons).

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=1898

And lastly, if you end up ordering from RuralKing, use 'thefind3' in the coupon section and you'll get an additional 3% off.

-Matt

cubs3vols
05-31-2011, 07:22 AM
SO let me get this straight...I can spray this over my pine trees and not kill them? It will only kill the grass and not the trees? I can't spray with backpack because there is 40 acres...

Trophy Doe
05-31-2011, 02:58 PM
you asked this question in another post, but didn't mention having hardwoods mixed in, so do not spray imazapyr, it will kill your hardwoods. Fusilade (fluazifop) is your second best bet, especially if you have bermuda grass. If you don't have bermuda then clethodim will work.

Five rows of trees, five hundred yards long, band sprayed over-the-top of the rows with a two foot wide spray pattern equals .34 acres, or 15000 square feet of area needing to be treated. Thats it!

cubs3vols
05-31-2011, 07:46 PM
Hey thanks for the information. I looked today and most of the grass is johnson grass, will Clethodim kill it? thanks

murphy
05-31-2011, 09:43 PM
Was just about to buy cleth to kill bermuda around seedlings from info I found during a search on this site on how to accomplish this. Just wondering why fusilade may be a better choice.

Thanks

Trophy Doe
06-03-2011, 12:49 AM
Because for whatever reason it works better :-) Fusilade isn't magic on bermuda either, but it does work better at releasing hardwood seedlings from bermuda than "seth and cleth." Its in all the univ. literature if you want to doublecheck.

Was just about to buy cleth to kill bermuda around seedlings from info I found during a search on this site on how to accomplish this. Just wondering why fusilade may be a better choice.

Thanks

Joey Rott
06-03-2011, 10:20 AM
If all else fails, the bucket method with Roundup and Oust will always work. And it'll keep the grass at bay for the rest of the year