PDA

View Full Version : dish soap vs surfactant

buckfever37
05-15-2011, 04:18 PM
i had an older guy tell me he always uses dish soap when spraying gly or 24db. does this really work? i would be spraying arrow

buckfever37
05-15-2011, 04:54 PM
anyone heard of that?

gabowhunter
05-15-2011, 05:27 PM
yes if you look on the back label of regular dawn it states it is a non ionic surfactant. i was surprised too!

letemgrow
05-15-2011, 05:55 PM
Yep, they all just lessen the surface tension on the object....think about when you wash your hands with and without soap....there is a big difference between the two.

banc123
05-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Gly uses surfactant, however most all now come with it already in the mix, been years since I've seen one that needed it added. Arrow and 24db generally work better with crop oil vs surfactant.

Not all dish soaps are non-ionic, many are anionic.

Dawn happens to have dimethlyamine oxide , which is non-ionic.

One of the troubles with using a soap is BUBBLES.

MathieuP
05-15-2011, 09:07 PM
A simple experiment. Put some water in a bowl. Sprinkle in some pepper. Put one drop of dish soap and watch.

rackmaster
05-15-2011, 09:58 PM
works great on keeping the nozzles clean, and dawn is good, but I still use a little sufractant.

I use de suds agent also to elim the bubbles

yoderj@cox.net
05-15-2011, 10:17 PM
I've never used Dawn with my ag sprayer, however, in the old days, I used it with roundup for my hand sprayer around the house. Back then roundup did not have a surfactant in it. It was effective.

CaveCreek
05-15-2011, 11:01 PM
While some chemicals may already include surfactant, it's not a bad idea see how performance compared with added surfactant.

I like extra surfactant, generally. And I haven't seen it hurt my success.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the dish soap, yes, it does work.

No, it doesn't work as well as a true ag surfactant, nor a high grad surfactant for that matter.

Surfactant plays a very important role, and there's not much reason to go the cheap route with it.

All and all, it constitutes very little of your actual spray cost on a per acre basis.

Besides that, it makes tons of foam. Which ends up wasting a lot of time.

buckfever37
05-15-2011, 11:55 PM
While some chemicals may already include surfactant, it's not a bad idea see how performance compared with added surfactant.

I like extra surfactant, generally. And I haven't seen it hurt my success.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the dish soap, yes, it does work.

No, it doesn't work as well as a true ag surfactant, nor a high grad surfactant for that matter.

Surfactant plays a very important role, and there's not much reason to go the cheap route with it.

All and all, it constitutes very little of your actual spray cost on a per acre basis.

Besides that, it makes tons of foam. Which ends up wasting a lot of time.

this is the only thing i have found on the ruralking website for a surfactant. its called DREXAL-HUM-AC 820. one gallon for 9.99. will that work? i do plan on calling around here locally for NIS but just wondering if this would work? thanks for all the help.