PDA

View Full Version : Put some plots in yesterday

Scarecrow
05-13-2011, 09:38 AM
I had planned on putting some plots in this weekend but something came up and threw a monkey wrench into that. With that and the forecast of rain Sunday and into next week....I took yesterday off of work and hit the dirt to put 2 plots in :D :p

Put in Buckwheat yesterday and will then go with Brassicas come late July

This Logging road connects both plots. One of my favorite White Oaks on my property. Over 6 foot diameter trunk. I sometimes think of what this tree has seen throughout it's life.
Also went with Buckwheat on the logging road but will go with WR come September.

One of the 25 Thicket Plums I planted along the logging road last year. Doing very well. I should be able to remove the cages next Spring.

The logging road comes into this plot in the upper left corner of the pic.
This plot will get the same as the other....Buckwheat then Brassicas. Both these plots are 1/2 acre plots and about 200 yards apart.

Just think........I took work off for this :rolleyes:

Viking1204
05-13-2011, 10:19 AM
Lucky you! If I had the time I'd take all the time I could off to work food plots in the Spring and Fall! It's a great sense of accomplishment when you get done and then a few weeks later see the new growth covering your plots! Kudos to you taking the time off form work to get them in before the rain comes!

Redonthehead
05-13-2011, 10:52 AM
I'll have to take vacation to get my plots in too.

Is it nuts to take more vacation to put in plots than to take for hunting??:o

LongShot2812
05-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Very nice!! Always a great feeling to stand back and think about what it will look like when it gets going full swing. I'm about to leave the house now to go establish 2 new plots myself. We have had a ridiculous amount of rain this year and the last 5 days have been sunny and warm so it's finally gotten to be workable. The forecast calls for more rain so I'm excited to get them in the ground and see what pops up :)

midwest_170
05-13-2011, 11:20 AM
Thanks for sharing, your plots look good. I took off work on Wed to plant 6 ac over 3 different plots, but we had rain coming before the weekend, and in plotting timing is everything. Hope to see some pictures of some nice green plots in a few weeks.

buckfever37
05-13-2011, 11:39 AM
are the deer hitting your plums? i planted 200 shrubs 2 years ago and 50 were wild plums. i still have them closed off cause the deer keep nibbling away at them. i also have numerus other shrubs still in enclosures!!! i would consider keeping the closed off a while longer.

Whitetail Jiu-Jitsu
05-13-2011, 11:52 AM
When do they hit the buckwheat? Do you overseed with brassica or disc it back up and re-seed?

Scarecrow
05-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Thanks guys. Before getting into this habitat stuff the only time I spent on my property was scounting or hunting now I'm up there every week and lovin it.
bf37......I have to protect everything I plant. Alot of my Thicket Plums started the year around 3 ft and should get above browse by the end of the growing season. I also noticed they're starting to sucker and spread.....that's what I was waiting for. If I don't need the cages next Spring I'll leave them on but I could use them for new plantings.
Jiu-Jitsu.....the deer gon't go crazy over the Buckwheat but they do hit it.....seems like some years more than others. I like Buckwheat cause it grows anywhere, does a great job of suppressing the weeds until my Fall planting, it's a great soil builder, and the bees really love it :eek: . Towards the end of July I'll mow all the Buckwheat. Once it drys out good I'll mow it again to really break it up before discing in. My brassicas get planted in the beginning of August and if I'm putting in Lick's Fall mix OF WR/CLOVER I'll wait till the end of August.

<*)))><(
05-13-2011, 10:13 PM
Looks like a nice secluded setup and that oak is ridiculous!! Hope it draws them in for you!

VA2
05-13-2011, 10:19 PM
What's WR mean?

buckfever37
05-13-2011, 10:50 PM
are your plums getting full sun or partial shade? i have mine on one side of my food plot. your food plot looks alot like mine. i planted shrubs on 3 sides of the plot.

Scarecrow
05-17-2011, 10:59 AM
are your plums getting full sun or partial shade? i have mine on one side of my food plot. your food plot looks alot like mine. i planted shrubs on 3 sides of the plot.

That particular logging road runs NNW and I planted the plums on the Northern side. I say they're partially shaded but doing well. Any shrubs or trees which I plant along my plots I try and locate along the Northern edge where they will receive the most sun.