PDA

View Full Version : Blue Lupine, need help

Whitetail Jiu-Jitsu
05-11-2011, 02:12 PM
This is the first year I will be planting 'sweet' blue lupine. I did a search and didn't find much information on it in the forum and don't see a whole lot on the web either. It is one of the plants listed in 'Quality Food Plots' but there seems to be little on it.

Things I am hoping to find out before I throw caution to the wind:

Depth of seed?
Broadcast or row plant? (If I row plant it will be with my drop seeder)
Fertilizer used for best results?
When do they hit it in your area if you have planted it before?
Did you put it in a mix? I am planting an edge of pumpkins around it.

I am not using an inoculant but I am putting it in a well established plot that had soy beans last year. It just seems like there should be more information on it but I am coming up short.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

yoderj@cox.net
05-11-2011, 06:04 PM
While inoculant is not absolutely necessary when planting legumes, keep in mind that there are different inoculants for different legumes. You need to match the ribosome with your crop. If you planted a crop that uses the same ribosome in previous years you'll be OK, but I don't know if soybeans and lupine cross. Inoculant is so cheap that I often use is just to be sure.

I haven't grown lupine so I can't help with specifics but I know I've seen a number of threads on them with pictures.

THE, LLC
05-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Good luck. I've never had it last long enough to get much more than 3 or 4 inches high. Ice cream plant for sure.

smsmith
05-11-2011, 07:44 PM
I was hoping you'd jump in on this one Tommy....

Blue lupine is pretty much a southern thing from what I can tell. Nobody around here has any clue about it.

I planted them a few years ago along with oats. They were definitely hit hard. I planted in the fall vs. spring, so can't tell you how they'll do planted this time of the year. I just disked, fertilized, seeded and rolled (pre-cultipacker days for me). I got a good catch and good growth. The deer hit them in late summer and cleaned them out by late fall. The oats gave them some cover/protection from overbrowsing I think.

Fun to try different stuff just to see if you can get it grow and to see if your deer like them.

THE, LLC
05-11-2011, 09:19 PM
I always say it is the Fall version of the iron clay pea.

Whitetail Jiu-Jitsu
05-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Hmmm, in Quality Food Plots it says to plant in the spring in the north and fall in the south, so I am going to try that. If they get hammered early and don't grow over 3 or 4 inches so be it, never hurts to try. I have yet to have any of my food plots be over grazed early so I am banking on that. I might look into an inoculant as well.

Plan is this unless I hear otherwise:
1) Till.
2) Create rows with my plotmaster.
3) Broadcast seeds at 50 pounds per acre.
4) Go over the plot with my chain harrow covering the seeds. The hope is to have 0.5-1 inch depth.
5) Spread 150 pounds per acre of 17-17-17 fertilizer.
6) Cultipack.
7) Hand plant Big Max pumpkins around the edge (for the fun of it).

Thanks for the help, we will see.

smsmith
05-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Sounds like a plan to me WJJ....post up some pics of how things go.

Did you get the seed from Cooper's?

Whitetail Jiu-Jitsu
05-11-2011, 10:37 PM
http://www.hancockseed.com/seed-varieties-241/blue-lupine-seed-533/blue-lupine-seed-50-lb-bag-501.html

I saw a few different places to purchase seed but the price on this one was best. I am also hoping to boost the turkey and grouse population at our property and this referenced other species so I bought into the sales pitch.

I am really just guessing when it comes to how to plant it and what fertilizer to use. When all else fails, do what worked in the past I guess.