PDA

View Full Version : What are yalls feeling on ag (r1) vs industrial (r4) tractor tires?

hrcarver
05-03-2011, 11:29 AM
I'm buying another tractor either this fall or next spring. Trying to figure out which tires to get. Bear with me here, I have a few unusual considerations.

Besides planting food plots I have a turf farm along with raising a few other crops. I love food plotting, but I gotta eat:rolleyes:

I would like to use this tractor to carry my 2500 lb 3pt grain drill, pull a 9 shank tiller (like a small chisel plow), and hopefully be able to use it pulling out irrigation reels across my turf fields with out doing any damage. I was hoping to be able to have a dual purpose tractor. A general purpose tractor that could serve as a backup tractor for the turf farm.

I will have a loader on it, mostly for loading and unloading pallets of sod and unloading equipment off of trailers.

Mostly looking at m series kubotas and 5xxx john deeres to give you some idea of the size tractor.

All of my experience has been with turf tires or ag tires. R4's sound like a reasonable compromise. What has been yalls experience with them? Also hear that they are more puncture resistant, which is always a plus in the woods.

Nova
05-03-2011, 11:44 AM
We got the R4 industrials on our tractor 2 years ago. We mostly plot with it. I have not had a problem with them slipping except on ice/snow when plowing snow. Ours is 4wheel drive so that compensates for the slip. The R4's are supposed to last longer and like you said be more puncture resistent. I pull a 80" tandem disc, 80" tiller and have no problem plotting even in mud. Most of the trails at the farm are grass and we don't tear them up with the R4's at all

j-bird
05-03-2011, 12:52 PM
I have a smaller tractor (790 deere) and it has R4's on it. My experiance is that as long as you have the weight you will have the traction. The only issue I have had with mine was with snow and ice as well. 4 wheel drive is a huge blessing especially with a loader. I take mine throught the yard all the time with out any issue. If for some reason you are pulling on something that just won't give - the R4's will dig a nice hole for you though. The ag tire will give more traction, but will cause tracks in sod much more easily. I use mine for plotting with a 2 bottom 14" plow and 8' disc all the time. The only time I ever got mine stuck I was accused of trying to see if it would float - obviously I had it where no machine belonged - I couldn't even see the front tires.

hrcarver
05-03-2011, 01:04 PM
I'm not considering ag tires on the sod.:eek:

I'll just have to do without a backup sod tractor if I get another r1 tractor. My existing backup turf tractor (with turf tires) is getting pretty close to retirement or junkyard status.

I will not use it unless my primary turf tractor is busy (or God forbid broke). I was more wondering about the usefulness of r4 tires while doing ag (or food plot) work.

Let me put it this way... Are 2wd r1's and 4wd r4's roughly equivalent in the traction department? I could live with that.

BellyUp
05-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Multi-use - r4's
strictly ag use -r1's

On_Point
05-03-2011, 03:30 PM
I think R4's would be a perfect match for your needs. I used to do landscaping and we used tractors with R4's and Turfs both rarely did any damage to the sod as long as it wasn't too wet or turned to sharp.

Now as to the foolplotting. My tractor initially had turfs on it and I plotted with it that way for several years. Its a smaller 4wd L2500 kubota and only time I ever had problems was discing on slopes with the soil being wet. Got stuck a few times but nothing I couldn't myself out with the bucket. I now have used ags on it and it is considerably better but even that light of a tractor will leave bar marks in my lawn when wet.

The R4's have a long durability, enough tread to bite decently and a lot of industrial foresty equipment runs them. I would think if they weren't very good or lacked the traction to skid huge logs than most would have ags on them. If your looking at a 4wd I honestly cannot foresee any issues plotting with r4s on it.

wolc123
05-03-2011, 06:28 PM
The R4's are going to reduce the traction force that you can develop on soft ground (tilled or mud) by roughly 1/3 and put you in the same ballpark as a equal-weight 2wd tractor with R1's. If you can handle that compromise, then go for the R4's. Personally, I want to have the maximum traction force possible from my very expensive 4wd tractor when it comes to foodplotting and would never consider R4's for that usage. As to the increased puncture resistance of R4's, I have been opertating tractors with R1's in the woods for more than 30 years and am still waiting for my first flat rear. I have punctured fronts several times, but that is a 5-minute repair with a tubeless patch kit. My biggest issue with R4's is there are always some mudholes at my place that take a long time to dry each spring. The 4wd with R1's always walks right thru these. Right now, about 1/3 of my tillable acreage is under water and it will probably all be submerged after ten more days of predicted rain. With R4's, my spring planting would likely take me a month longer on average as it did before I had 4wd. If you have sloped, well-drained land, then you will probably be fine with R4's. If you have a mucky, bottomland farm like mine however, you will be very sorry with that choice. I have not seen any farmers in my county working land with R4 tires. Many have the extra deep tread, rice-tires.

bigmike
05-03-2011, 06:38 PM
i like the side wall stiffness of the industrial and the traction of the ag. i have industrial on mine.

foggy
05-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Unless you have lots of hard pulling to do...like plowing and discing....the R4's will likely do what you need. I recently went from R1's to R4's and I can tell a big difference in traction. I'm putting my plow away (too much sand) and I use my disc less as time goes by.....so I think I will get along ok....but there is a big traction difference as Wolc points out above. 4WD helps allot for most uses.

I kinda wish I had R1's.....but I do not have a turf issue on my land....and its still a bit early for me to say that I wont get along fine with what I have.

Muddy Creek Farms
05-03-2011, 07:51 PM
I've got loader (r4) tires on my 4320 FWD John Deere. I love them! Do a great job and aren't too bad on the sod either. Like some have said, much more multipurpose than ag tires.

hrcarver
05-03-2011, 07:59 PM
I dont have lots of plowing (that's why I bought that heavy #$&^'n drill:D ), but I do have some plowing to do almost every new plot. Sounds like I'll be OK for occasional use.

wbyman
05-05-2011, 09:59 AM
I have had both r1 and r4 in 30 to 40 hp utility tractors in the last couple of years. Belly up is correct . R1's are better if all you do is foodplots , R4's for multi use.

JMBryant
05-05-2011, 05:39 PM
I run R4's on my 5030 Kubota, and I think that they are a great all around tire. I disc with them, run the tiller with them, and in the summer when it gets really hot, I mow my grass with the tractor and finishing mower, and it never tears up the grass, even when damp. I think for your application the R-4's will be a great tire.

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz334/jmb4wd/FoodPlotJune.jpg