PDA

View Full Version : Amish fruit trees

brushpile
04-11-2011, 08:43 PM
I went to an Amish Nursery today to buy plants for the garden, and noticed fruit trees. I think I've found the mother lode!!!

Schlabach's Nursery is the Amish Nursery the trees came from. It's located in Western NY, and the quality and prices can't be beat. Wildlife packages start at 4 apple trees for $29, then 10 for $59, and 10 mixed apples, cherries, and pears for $69.

50 varieties of heirloom apples. Disease resistant varieties include Enterprise, Gold Rush, and Hardy Cumberland. Crab apples include Whitney, Dolgo, Chestnut, Young American, and Geneva. Geneva ripens in October and hangs into Winter.

Pears, Asian Pears, Japanese Plums, Euro Plums, Peaches, berries....

Amish sell good stuff, but don't look for this nursery on the Internet. They sell word of mouth.

My local Amish Nursery will get me my trees, or you can call 866-600-5203 for a catalog. No tax, and pretty sure postage.

Shhhh, don't let the secret out.:)

Jameson
04-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Any idea what rootstocks?

brushpile
04-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Any idea what rootstocks?

I knew someone would ask that... I asked! Don't know yet. Whatever the rootstock, it grows in Missourri, where it's either too wet or too dry.

FLO1919
04-12-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm lucky enough to be within driving distance of this place. In fact, I went yesterday to pick up my order. My trees look great! I spent a half an hour talking to the gentleman about the various questions I had. This will be my first time getting fruit trees from them as I've always used ACN. I'm antcipating that it won't be my last.

brushpile
04-12-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm lucky enough to be within driving distance of this place. In fact, I went yesterday to pick up my order. My trees look great! I spent a half an hour talking to the gentleman about the various questions I had. This will be my first time getting fruit trees from them as I've always used ACN. I'm antcipating that it won't be my last.

Did you ask about root stock?

I saw the trees, and they were great looking trees for a third the price, plus they handle small orders.

Pretty sure this nursery is the primary source of fruit trees for most if not all Amish communities. While I couldn't find info on the root stock, it grows from NY to MO.

The thing I thought strange, was that my local Amish Nursery sells the trees at their cost.

FLO1919
04-12-2011, 01:45 PM
I didn't ask about rootstock. Their orchard looks great and for a fraction of the cost of other sources I was willing to put a few of theirs in to try them out. I cant tell you that the trees I recieved are robust. I bet if you call them they can tell you. 585-798-6198

letemgrow
04-12-2011, 05:32 PM
Dang that is quite a deal on apple trees!!

LongTimeGone
04-14-2011, 05:20 AM
anyone know the rootstock yet?

jaytee
04-14-2011, 10:42 AM
Hey Brad, where is that nursery located? Is it up by Hostetlers? I'd like to go up and take a look one of these days.

brushpile
04-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Hey Brad, where is that nursery located? Is it up by Hostetlers? I'd like to go up and take a look one of these days.

It's a few miles past Hostetlers. Take a left off the main road onto S. 250th.

Bosser's Country Greenhouse
4491 S. 250th
Buffalo, MO 65622

417-327-4682/3

Blosser's can get fruit trees from Schlabach's, might have a few on hand, but doen't raise fruit trees.

FLO1919
04-19-2011, 01:34 PM
I was able to stop by Schlabach's yesterday and asked about rootstock. David (the proprietor) told me that it is a semi-dwarf rootstock on all their trees. I had asked if he had more specific info but, he didn't know what the specific rootstock was.
He did mention that you could call them and get on their mail-order catalog for next year.

aerospacefarmer
04-19-2011, 03:30 PM
I went to an Amish Nursery today to buy plants for the garden, and noticed fruit trees. I think I've found the mother lode!!!

Schlabach's Nursery is the Amish Nursery the trees came from. It's located in Western NY, and the quality and prices can't be beat. Wildlife packages start at 4 apple trees for $29, then 10 for $59, and 10 mixed apples, cherries, and pears for $69.

50 varieties of heirloom apples. Disease resistant varieties include Enterprise, Gold Rush, and Hardy Cumberland. Crab apples include Whitney, Dolgo, Chestnut, Young American, and Geneva. Geneva ripens in October and hangs into Winter.

Pears, Asian Pears, Japanese Plums, Euro Plums, Peaches, berries....

Amish sell good stuff, but don't look for this nursery on the Internet. They sell word of mouth.

My local Amish Nursery will get me my trees, or you can call 866-600-5203 for a catalog. No tax, and pretty sure postage.

Shhhh, don't let the secret out.:)

I just contacted the Nursery and they told me the Wildlife package is not tagged meaning they dont know what the type of tree you will be getting. Its a crap shoot so I am not too excited to make a buy here. The regular price for apple trees is 15 bucks. The Wildlife package as she said is untagged and surplus. Seemed to good to be true. That is what the woman who answered the phone told me anyway.