PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts On Sweet Potatoes and Peanuts for Deer

EasternNChunter
04-09-2011, 09:12 PM
These are fairly common in Eastern NC and the deer sure love them and benefit greatly from them. However, I have never seen any detailed articles about Whitetail Deer and these two crops. Any of you guys outside of NC have any experience growing these? Thoughts?

banc123
04-10-2011, 07:40 AM
Ag peanuts are very common in Ga, but not a common food plot; probably because they are everywhere and a summer crop. Perennial Peanuts have shown to be a good deer plot, but again not planted much; probably because its difficult to find the roots to plant. Haven't heard much about planting sweet potatoes, sugar beats yes.

crimson n' camo
04-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Welcome to the site.......

I have seen a few comments about sweet potatoes in some other posts on here and most of them were positive. I have never tried them myself but thought about planting a small test plot of them this summer. If you have hogs in your area I imagine it would probably be eaten by them before the deer get to it.

Soybean Man
04-10-2011, 02:34 PM
The biggest problem with sweet potatoes is planting them. You plant whole potatoes with specialized equipment. A friend of mine has the largest Certified sweet potatoe propagation greenhouse farm in North Carolina and are part owners of Nash Produce in Nash County.
Peanuts are much easier. Commercial crops require a lot of fungicide for whitemold and insecticide applications from thrips to rednecked peanut worms.

Soybean Man
04-10-2011, 09:11 PM
I see you are from Wilson. We were down for the Dixie Deer Classic and our friends from Nash County took us to Parker's Barbecue. Great service and great food, served family style.

EasternNChunter
04-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Yeah, Family Style is the way to go at Parkers...good eating. We just leased one of our farms out this year to some guys that have a HUGE sweet potato operation. It's all they plant. I have never hunted over sweet potatoes but they are pretty common around here and the deer LOVE them. We don't have hogs yet (knock on wood) but they are coming...unfortunately. Guys that hunt the NE part of the state where peanuts are more common swear by them. In fact there was a article written in a local hunting mag that talked about anywhere you find peanuts, you will find big bucks. I was just curious because I have never seen any national stuff written on these two crops. I guess because they are more of a regional crop that are not planted in some of the more popular big buck states. The guys that leased our farm and plant the sweet potatoes told me that I am going to really like them. They said the deer would walk right through a corn field or corn pile to get to the sweet potatoes. I imagine that they provide good nutrition, fat, etc.

Hoseman
04-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Our farm is to the north of you in the peanut belt of Virginia and you are correct that deer love peanuts. A one/two combination of peanuts and soybeans probably offers more protein than any other two crops anywhere. The problem is that with the government price support no longer available, there are fewer and fewer farmers planting them any longer. We used to have peanuts on our farm but our farmer quit growing them and said the input cost on one acre of peanuts is over $1000. As Soybeanman said, peanuts are very labor intensive and have to be sprayed mulitple times a year. Deer love sweet potatoes too but it would be very difficult to plant them without specialized equipment. They grow them on the eastern shore of Va and deer flock to those fields. I would love to hear if there is a way to plant a small plot of sweet potatoes as I know it would be an awesome draw but probably too labor intensive with regular equipment. A farm with peanuts, sweet potatoes, soybeans and clover would have every deer within five miles coming to eat but unfortunately it would be tough to pull off.

EasternNChunter
04-11-2011, 10:46 PM
South Hampton County Va...you guys have HUGE deer. Yeah, all of the sweet potato farmers that I know of have large groups of migrant workers that work for them. These farmers provide housing to their employees and really have large scale operations.

shack
04-12-2011, 10:54 AM
In south Ala. sweet potatoes are $40.00 per 1000 # for culls and as I understand they are 17% protein. This is much cheaper than corn. Deer love them...

Hoseman
04-12-2011, 04:52 PM
EasternNCHunter,
We are lucky to have some really nice deer up here but yall have better BBQ!

SAWMAN
04-12-2011, 06:35 PM
We plant peanuts for deer in food plots. Great thing aboout them is if you do not dig the peanuts and leave what the deer don't dig up, they will come back the next year. Just spray them early with 2 4 D B and some gromoxone to get the weeds. If you get hogs around they will leave you nothing to reseed. If you have a weed problem, you can get very aggressive with them. Peanuts are very durable if that is the right description.

EasternNChunter
04-12-2011, 08:36 PM
EasternNCHunter,
We are lucky to have some really nice deer up here but yall have better BBQ!

I will be more than happy to bring you all you want next November.