PDA

View Full Version : Placeholders

huntdoc
02-12-2006, 06:23 PM
I just got back from trying to clear some more timber from my first hunting plot. Any suggestions of a grain or anything I could plant to compete with weeds for the first year. I have read some of the threads about killing everything off with RU instead of planting. Just thought it might be fun to get something growing this spring to hold the plot for next fall or spring.

sandbur
02-12-2006, 07:22 PM
Could try buckwheat or a heavy seeding of brassica. No weeds came up in my spring seeded purple top turnip patch. They were thick.

muzzy
02-12-2006, 08:14 PM
Buckwheat would be my first choice. Then small grain or brassica for a fall planting. If you are in an area that you can frost seed try frost seeding clover into the small grain the following spring. I don't use herbicides on my plots and have good luck with this approach.

huntdoc
02-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Is buckwheat expensive? It is a small plot anyhow, just no experience yet and never dealt with buckwheat growing up on farm.

banc123
02-12-2006, 09:11 PM
I think I bought 50lbs for $25 or less. They're funny looking seeds , like a 3-D triangle.

pharmer
02-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Northern Indiana may be ok for buckwheat- don't know? You could think about a cheap red clover that you'd still have plenty of time to frost seed.

deerhunter
02-12-2006, 10:05 PM
If you decide to plant Buckwheat you will have to wait for the soil temp. to reach about 60 degrees. Buckwheat seed is cheap but you will need to plant it at about 40lbs per acre. If you are simply broadcasting the seed and not covering the seed you might want to add a few extra pounds to insure more seeds reaching germination. Good luck

Anderson
02-13-2006, 07:11 PM
Buckwheat could work well. If the deer take a liking to a small patch of buckwheat they will mow down every stem fairly quickly. Brassica makes sense, too; though the deer may not eat much during summer months (My understanding is that you want to rip this up again in Aug-Sep for a fall planting). Oats can be planted early in the spring, germinate fairly easily, and would be a pretty decent place holder through mid summer. Oats fields usually will get some weeds coming up through. Oats will not be eaten much by deer after it gets up above your boots. Red clover or some sort of annual clover (i.e. crimson) could also be planted in the oats. You could mow off the oats around June and let the clovers grow for a couple months.
Have fun and let us know what worked.

300 Win Mag
02-13-2006, 08:47 PM
Buckwheat 50# / $35.00 www.edwardfortnurseries.com QDMA ADVERTISER also sells seedlings cheap thru Qdma