PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I find sheds!!!!!!!!

MathewsShooter30
02-14-2011, 07:49 PM
I get so frustrated because i see you guys post pictures of all of these great sheds that you find each year! I look every year and cannot find one, not even one from the year before. I look in my food plots, bedding areas, travel routes and cannot find a shed.

I've spent the last 3 saturdays shed hunting and cannot find any? What am I doing wrong? I have 10 bucks that are 115 plus and are regularly using my property.

I am located in Ohio. Any advice? Encouragement?

banc123
02-14-2011, 08:06 PM
Join the shedless club. :D I'm chairman.

food plot 4 life
02-14-2011, 08:11 PM
im the V.P. lol

WesternNY
02-14-2011, 08:14 PM
I am the treasurer be sure to send me your dues! :D

THE, LLC
02-14-2011, 08:28 PM
Just like fishing, you're not holding your mouth right. :D

Tree Spud
02-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Secretary & Sargent at Arms here .... :D

I have a buddy who estimates that he spends 10-15 hrs walkin' for every shed he finds. Two years later after challenging him on this formula, he confessed that sometimes it's 60-70 hours of walking and 15 minutes in the right spot!

Or, you could use my wifes method. She takes the dog on a 15 minute walk, finds one near the garden gate and asks ... "hey, I found one, why didn't you look here?" ... @#^%$&!!!

Only advice is to keep walkin' ... ;)

smsmith
02-14-2011, 09:17 PM
Most bucks around here still have their antlers.

MDuffy
02-14-2011, 09:19 PM
Don't take this wrong, but are you where the bucks are? Just because they were there during hunting season doesn't mean they are there now. Try looking in feeding areas where you are seeing a lot of deer in the afternoons. Follow the trails back into the bedding areas.

If you have them, spend as much time as you can on the ATV in the bean fields too.

It has been mentioned before, but sheds are kinda like morels, once you find one you can usually find more.

dmusgrave
02-14-2011, 09:22 PM
In the past 6 years I have found a handful of sheds. Part of the problem for me is they blend in so well with the ground .....:D

BAITIN
02-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Just wait until its time to make the first cut of hey and the TRACTOR TIRES will find every stinking one of them i promise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MathewsShooter30
02-14-2011, 09:26 PM
It really makes me question how much I really know about my bucks..

I was almost positive where they bed but then again I can't find one shed. I'm not putting as much time in as others and that may also be a cause.

You would think during shed hunting, hunting, turkey hunting, food plotting that you would run into one from this year or the previous just by chance!:mad:

buckeyeshedhunter
02-14-2011, 09:31 PM
My daughter and I went out yesterday and found 1 old shed from last year. While we were picking it up, 3 bucks ran across the cut bean field. All 3 still had both sides. It is still early. Be patient, look hard, and sometimes if you just go out and enjoy yourself, they will find you. Just don't get burnt out early. Where are you located in Ohio? I hardly ever find sheds where I hunt because the area doesn't hold the deer this time of year. But they sure are there during bow season.

traqem
02-14-2011, 09:41 PM
It helps lots to be lucky. I have a local spot close to my house where I bow hunt in the burbs. I go out there after antler drop time at least once every year to look for sheds for 3 or 4 hours. Yesterday, I stopped by for a minute to try to look for the bottom end of a shaft and a broadhead that I killed a buck with. On the way down the hill in some thick nasty stuff I usually avoid, I found one side of a big 6 I've been seeing a getting pics of for a few years. Saw it probably 15 ft. in front of me. Wish I had found it last year when he dropped it. It was the 3rd good shed I've found on this land.

Although I've sumbled across a few, I certainly don't find one every year and not the piles of them some of you folks in the midwest find. I've found most of mine along fence lines and in thick stuff like the one I found yesterday.

BeckFarms
02-14-2011, 09:49 PM
My brother and dad feed cattle all winter and find sheds all the time while on the tractor. Our deer bunch up in the winter and feed on the same fields every night. I went hunting yesterday for the first time, walked 300 yards and found 3 sheds in 15 minutes. I was thrilled that I found my big 5by5s shed but I couldn't find his left side yet. Last year my brother found 47 sheds in about 14 hours of looking. We find over 25 a year around our hay bales so it's easy hunting.

winterquartersmgr
02-14-2011, 10:01 PM
I got lucky last year. I found over a hundred just ridding the edges of my plots in the truck! The river came up and flooded most of my fields so the bucks were pushed up on thoses fields that were still green. I find that a good pair of bino's help. I look for a shine that is out of place in my fields. 86% of the time, it works every time!;) :D

foodplotdude
02-14-2011, 10:05 PM
Many people make a really big mistake of shed hunting too early. They end up bumping bucks off the farm and they shed out on the neighbors instead. Certainly there are some bucks that have shed out but as someone else point out, plenty are still packin.

I would suggest you get your trail cameras out and feed(if legal) to see who and what is still packin.

cckw
02-14-2011, 10:21 PM
I get so frustrated because i see you guys post pictures of all of these great sheds that you find each year! I look every year and cannot find one, not even one from the year before. I look in my food plots, bedding areas, travel routes and cannot find a shed.

I've spent the last 3 Saturdays shed hunting and cannot find any? What am I doing wrong? I have 10 bucks that are 115 plus and are regularly using my property.

I am located in Ohio. Any advice? Encouragement?

maybe the deer are still wearing them!

I find them mainly when I'm not looking for them. My brother who has never spent one minute pursuing sheds, spotted one in the middle of an open field last year.

Tap
02-15-2011, 07:53 AM
As with most things, practice will make you better. Take a couple of different sized sheds and go out and toss them here and there. Then step back and look at them from different distances and angles. Train your eye. I think most people expect them to look much bigger. But even a large antler when not attached to the deer's head, can look pretty small when it's lying 40 yards away.

And like some others said, wait till you know most of the shedding has actually happened. Years ago, I used to spend a lot of time looking for them in february and early march. At the time I didn't realize half of the antlers were still attached. All I was doing is chasing bucks away to shed somewhere else.

fiveyear
02-15-2011, 08:38 AM
In Florida where I get tons of pics I can't find a shed yo save my life. In GA on my lease I have found them in Spring, late smmer early fall and while hunting in late fall and winter.

I agree with the others wait until you know they are off. I have been hunting for Turkey in late March in GA and seen Deer with antledrs on. In Florida by trail cam they don't fall until April.

I have also found that the more hours and larger ground I cover the better chance I have at finding them. Drive farm fields and their edges by ATV for easy finds. Walk snags, tangles, creeks and swamps where they may hit something to knock them off. Walk fence lines. Also look in road side ditches.

Places where they jump a ditch they get knocked off. I've found them along roads. I've even heard shed experts say look in trees where squirrels may haul them up to chew on. I've found them around trees at the base.

So keep looking and it will happen when you least expect it. Like others said look where they are this time of year. Look bigger ground. :D

I'm no expert but have found a few over the years. I like you want to become better at it. :D

Zuke
02-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Here are some things I have learned about shed hunting.
1. Don't go out too early. 1st of March is the earliest with late March prime time around here.
2. Cloudy days are better.
3. South facing ridges with thick cover are great.
4. Take a pair of binoculars, saves a lot of walking to confirm its just a stick.
5. Take your time, in promising areas ( known bedding areas ) I will walk back and forth many times. A few yrs. ago I found a really large shed and noticed I had already stepped on it earlier by my footprint in the mud.
6. Once you find a shed jot down where you found it. If its a bedding area you will usually be able to go back the following year and find more.
7. Walk, walk, walk.
8. I still have not found a shed in a large ag field but I will continue searching.
9. Find the bucks late winter sanctuary and search there. My friend has around 80 acres and sees plenty of bucks during hunting season but I have only found 1 shed on his property in the last 9 yrs. Great for morels but the pits for shed hunting.
10. Don't give up. My friend spots morels easily, out picks my by at least 20 to 1 but walks right past sheds.

Gator
02-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Many people make a really big mistake of shed hunting too early. They end up bumping bucks off the farm and they shed out on the neighbors instead. Certainly there are some bucks that have shed out but as someone else point out, plenty are still packin.

I would suggest you get your trail cameras out and feed(if legal) to see who and what is still packin.

FPDude nailed it. Don't go out until you get pics of the majority of your bucks antlerless (as long as you are the only one walking).

Steiny
02-15-2011, 06:42 PM
Look at it this way. Antlers aint all that easy to find when they are attached to a 200 pound buck running around the neighborhood. It gets considerably tougher to locate them when they are no longer attached to the critter, laying in the brush somewhere.

My best success has been finding them dropped near my winter feed stations. Dump corn somewhere out of sight from about Christmas till about March and stay out of there otherwise. You are likely to find a few sheds here starting about late Feb, early March.

OHBuck
02-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Don't take this wrong, but are you where the bucks are? Just because they were there during hunting season doesn't mean they are there now. Try looking in feeding areas where you are seeing a lot of deer in the afternoons. Follow the trails back into the bedding areas.

If you have them, spend as much time as you can on the ATV in the bean fields too.

It has been mentioned before, but sheds are kinda like morels, once you find one you can usually find more.

I would say the same. If you know the bucks are there look and then look again and again. As the snow is comming off here I am finding them in place I have look already. My fat butt likes the atv seat and I find 80% of mine in it. I found a set lying 50 yard in the wood while riding in the field. The sun lit them up like a sign. Kinda looked like he shook his head and the both fell off one on each side of the trail.

OHBuck
02-15-2011, 07:16 PM
Amazing how what works for one guy doesn't for the next. I may watch my deer herd a bit more that the avarage guy. Once I start getting pics of shed bucks I start looking. And will keep at it get green. I use the snow to find where they are going and bedding and go back after it is gone. I am attracted to the thick stuff but find 80% of shed in the fields. It not a good day unless I come home bleeding somewhere. For me I find the Very Early compaired most.

winterquartersmgr
02-15-2011, 08:15 PM
Not to brag but i found 3 today:rolleyes: I found a matched pair from last year, and this one from this year. It scores 59 4/8. 22 inch beams, 18 2/8 mass and 19 2/8 tines.

OHBuck
02-15-2011, 08:29 PM
Not to brag but i found 3 today:rolleyes: I found a matched pair from last year, and this one from this year. It scores 59 4/8. 22 inch beams, 18 2/8 mass and 19 2/8 tines.

Decieving :rolleyes:

winterquartersmgr
02-15-2011, 08:47 PM
I measured it twice and I got the same thing again. This is by far the heavest one I have ever found. The mass fooled me.

MathewsShooter30
02-15-2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the encouragement fellas. I have been looking so hard because one of the top bucks that I have been watching all year dropped his two weeks ago. I have seen many anterless deer.

I know where they bed but don't get the feeling that is their winter sanctuary. It's like the bucks leave during the winter and return in the spring. I just have no idea where that place is.

I'm going out again saturday to find one stinking shed!!!!!!!!

dogghr
02-15-2011, 09:21 PM
Easiest way is to take a dog with you. They don't have to be trained to find them, especially in the spring. I think they smell the blood remnants on the shed. I can practically walk over one and my mixed breed will come running with a shed in her mouth. The sheds are amazingly hard. She can chew on them for quite some time and still have very little of it chewed up.

traqem
02-15-2011, 09:47 PM
One more tip. Much as you look for pieces of deer rather than the entire deer, look for pieces or sections of antler. Admitedly, the one I found Sunday was a year old, but I almost always see a piece of an antler that catches my eye. I can only think of a few times that I've ever seen an entire antler laying there.

Of course, I also NEVER find any in fields as many folks here do. Mine are always in the thick crap. The one I found the other day was mostly buried, but I still saw a 3" section of it from 10-15 ft. away.

THE, LLC
02-15-2011, 09:58 PM
I'm convinced that if you practice with one in the woods for a while, your eyes will become more adept than we give them credit for for finding what it is we are looking for. Many a time I have stopped walking and looked down to find a shed lying at my feet. I believe my eyes know what to look for and subconsciously direct my steps. Happened too many times to not be something to it. There's been times my eyes locked onto sheds lying in the woods that it took a second or two for my brain to register what it was looking at.

buckdeer1
02-15-2011, 11:01 PM
I use my trail camera to tell me when to start looking and I would say in my area of Kansas we are about 75% sheded.I found my first one today but had pictures of 4 bucks with both side from yesterday and several others that were shed

OHBuck
02-16-2011, 06:44 PM
I don't think my dog know how to use her nose. If it is not on the stove she can't smell it. She loves to go run like an idiot threw the wood, but could care less what I am looking for.
Found 7 yesterday and 4 today.
I wish all the snow would leave sure makes it easer.