PDA

View Full Version : This is the way to cut wood !!!!!!!!!!

tom tuchscherer
02-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Our logger came in and got started today.
Doing an oak 6 acre clearcut just for habitat reasons, to create thick new growth. Also doing a first thinning on 60 acres of white pine.
That machine doesn't look that big, but it grabs and throws around oak like you or I grabbing a broom! Lot's of fun to watch.

tom tuchscherer
02-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Another action pic !!!!

criggster
02-05-2011, 12:21 PM
Nice!! Around here it is too steep to use a feller buncher, so we have to do it the old fashioned way, with, of all things...... a chainsaw. LOL! That was an inside joke from the recent QW magazine.

Sweet November
02-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Cool Tom, keep us posted on how the logging turns out.

letemgrow
02-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Neat!! For sure keep us posted on the regrowth that comes up in the following years.

CanOpener
02-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Hell yeah, I took a day off work to walk around on our place when they logged it. I would just kind of follow the cutter around, I went from blind to blind and watched from a distance that thing whack tree after tree. They had a big loader type cutter instead of the excavator type, but had the same saw head. Super cool watching that thing in action. The whole process was awesome and fast. I still watch all of the shows I can on that stuff, Swamp Loggers, Ax Men, etc. I love seeing log trucks on the road, I mean I love logging period!!!!! PS- I didn't take that pic, but that looks just like the one they used.

CanOpener
02-05-2011, 10:16 PM
I found some pictures. These are from our place in July, 2009.

CanOpener
02-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Here's a couple skidders

CanOpener
02-05-2011, 10:20 PM
And here is the log processor, it's actually a semi trailer with a crane to load the logs also, for some reason I didn't take a picture of the chipper or any semi trucks. Oh well, next time....in 20 years:D

WesternNY
02-06-2011, 08:50 AM
Those pics are all awesome. I too love logging... when I was young I almost went to school to be a forester... some days I wish I had.:D

tlzkaasen
02-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Tom,

Did that logging outfit guarantee they would clean up the mess when they were done cutting? Some mess is good, but I've seen places here in WI that looked like a tornado went through.

I've been eyeballing a border property that is very thick. If I purchased it a few 5 acre areas would need to be cleared for a nice LARGE food plot.:D I just really don't know if I want to deal with the time/mess/headache to have it cleared.

tom tuchscherer
02-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Tlz,
Yes, the logger is obligated by contract to basically repair all roads as to the condition when he entered the property. When I met with actual guy doing the cutting I explained we want the slash pretty much left where it falls, to provide cover and protection for the new growth. Then talk about small world,,,,, as we are talking, I find out this guy is my neighbor and good friends cousin. He also explains to me he lives only a half mile to east of us as the crow flies and also practices QDM and as we talk we are realize we are seeing some of the same bucks.
I did work with the DNR forester setting this all up and the forester/cutter we are using was highly recommended. I also went and looked at 4 jobs he had just completed to view his work. As with most all logging, it looks like a mess or tornado went through at first, then in a few years, it's a beautiful thick lush haven for deer!
Time will tell.

CanOpener
02-06-2011, 03:47 PM
If you want to be protected by a contract, usually you have to go through a forester, but then they will bill you for 10% of your total. In our case, that garuntee of land restoration was well worth the 10%. We have some low land area's and I knew that there were going to be some ruts and WOW I was right. But one guy, one dozer and one day and they all disappeared. The classic horror story is that a logger says he'll come back to fix it and you never hear from him again.

tom tuchscherer
02-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Nice pics Can,
I'm with you, I could sit and watch that logging all day long.
Already trying to figure out how I can sneak out and head over to the cabin next week!
So were you happy with your end result?

THE, LLC
02-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Here's a couple skidders

Nothing can destroy a piece of ground quicker than one of those things in the wrong hands.

CanOpener
02-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Nice pics Can,
I'm with you, I could sit and watch that logging all day long.
Already trying to figure out how I can sneak out and head over to the cabin next week!
So were you happy with your end result?

Overall, yes. At first I loved watching the process, but then once the cutting was all done, I realized that I had some pretty barren land. We had 5 different 3-5 acre clearcuts done. The pockets of soft maple and poppel were seperate from the hardwoods, so they would clear every tree in the cut zone, unless I sprayed it with a green X. There was still a lot of tree's and swamp for cover, but travel patterns certainly changed for 2 years. Now as we head into our 3rd summer, I'm already seeing large amounts of whips about 4-5 ft tall and hopefully by the end of this summer they will be around 8 ft. In another year or two, it will be superb habitat, food, cover, bedding, everything that a land owner wants. Fortunately our forsester was a deer hunter as well, because if it was up to the cutter, he would have cleared everything. For 2-3 years of sacrifice, the next 10-15 will be worth it. Our forest needed it.

THE, LLC
02-06-2011, 08:16 PM
because if it was up to the cutter, he would have cleared everything.

How many times have I seen that? And how many times without the landowners knowledge or consent??? :(

CanOpener
02-06-2011, 11:01 PM
How many times have I seen that? And how many times without the landowners knowledge or consent??? :(

There is an elder lady who lives down the road and she was approached by a young up and comer in the logging business. He offered her a certain amount of money to cut 75 trees. She had a big stand of mature hard maple and after the logging company left, her nephew had counted over 150 stumps for sure. Probably over 200 he figured. No contract, supposedly nothing she could do. Not sure what ever became of it, but it sounds like the guy got away with it.

Trophy Doe
02-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Tom,

Those track type fellers can be hard to find in many areas. I'm trying desperately to find one like that to thin my pines. Very low impact compared to traditional equipment. Some heads on this type equipment have computers that scan the log while delimbing, and it cuts to length for the most profit from each log. This allows the cutter to set the logs in piles on site based on the product and does away with hauling and separating on a loading deck. Then a low impact forwarder can come in and load and haul the logs to a truck at the road. This system also leaves much of the remaining biomass from the tree in the woods to decompose. In the south it seems these guys can log in the winter when the prices are higher.. with less impact than traditional equipment logging in the summer. I'm jealous...

tom tuchscherer
02-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Was able to stop by the cabin today and check on our logger's progress.
He missed Thursday as it was -26 F., so he has about 4 days in and one to go to finish the oak portion. Less slash on the ground than I anticipated.
Hopefully we get some good regeneration in years to come. I'm sure it will make some great bedding.

tom tuchscherer
02-12-2011, 08:47 AM
Another pic.
The trees with a green mark are save trees or seed trees.

outdoorstom
02-12-2011, 11:14 AM
It looks like you did your homework and it paid off. Looks great!

CanOpener
02-12-2011, 06:48 PM
HA, look at that squirel in the top right corner. He's probably flippin' off the dude running the cutter!!

That clear cut is a thing of beauty.

Hardwoodshall
02-16-2011, 08:45 PM
I went to school for it and it is well worth it now. I watch it in awe every day and go onto some of the most beautiful land god ever made and
I relish every miute of it. Its also fun to mark a stand of timber and treat it like its your own, then see the end result. Its like my paint gun makes me leonardo da vinci of nature.