PDA

View Full Version : sick of mowing - what to plant?

wango tango
02-03-2011, 12:45 PM
hey all, i have 1-2 acres i'm sick of mowing. i'd like to plant something like 'prairie grass' for a couple of reasons.

avoid mowing as frequently
wife loves wildflowers etc
provide cover for deer

its rather close to a neighbors house, so i dont know about burning it off every now and again. not saying we cant....just that i'll have to keep that in mind.

any ideas?

bigeight
02-03-2011, 12:48 PM
What is it right now? Yard grass?

wango tango
02-03-2011, 01:58 PM
yep....crabgrass/weeds

yoderj@cox.net
02-03-2011, 02:06 PM
I'm not sure I'd plant anything. You might want to do some discing and spraying until you get rid of the Fescue and then just see what your native seed bank holds. You could consider just bush hogging it in sections every few years and perhaps some light soil disturbance every now and then with a disk.

bigeight
02-03-2011, 02:14 PM
An acre of White clover, or Crimson clover sure is nice to look at. If you surrounded that with WSG, or SG to make the deer feel protected while feeding in it, it would be nice to look out the window at something like that.

CaveCreek
02-03-2011, 03:45 PM
I'd suggest you show some photos of a native stand of prairie prior to soing so. Your wife may still want you shred it.

Indiangrass and Little bluestem are some of the more eye appeasing grasses, once they are dried down for winter.

But don't expect a stand of wildflowers through a thick stand of native grasses (not the pretty & tall ones anyway).

Shredding and light soil disturbance usually brings on the wildflowers.

Tree Spud
02-03-2011, 09:53 PM
Buy a condo ... :D

RacksNQuacks
02-03-2011, 10:21 PM
hey all, i have 1-2 acres i'm sick of mowing. i'd like to plant something like 'prairie grass' for a couple of reasons.

avoid mowing as frequently
wife loves wildflowers etc
provide cover for deer

its rather close to a neighbors house, so i dont know about burning it off every now and again. not saying we cant....just that i'll have to keep that in mind.

any ideas?
If burning is not possible then have it cut and baled as needed. It's a distant 2nd to burning but much better than mowing and letting it lay.

welka
02-06-2011, 07:46 AM
Disc and plant some PowerPlant. It has sunflowers in it, will grow tall enough for bedding/cover and you only have mow once a year when you plant again and maybe not even then if they eat it. Good luck.

HabitatMD
02-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Mix of big bluestem, Indian Grass and little bluestem (and sideoats grama). I'd make the majority of the stand little blue and sideoats. Then, I would add 0.5-1.0#/acre of forbs (aka wildflowers) making sure you have some legumes in the mix.

You can put together a nice showy mix so that you have something blooming almost all season.

SC Shed Labs
02-07-2011, 02:01 AM
An acre of White clover, or Crimson clover sure is nice to look at. If you surrounded that with WSG, or SG to make the deer feel protected while feeding in it, it would be nice to look out the window at something like that.

My vote as well!