PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Rents Helicopter to Find 20-Point Monster Buck

scrimshaw33
12-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Ethical or not? What do you think? I think if I could afford to rent a helicopter and deemed it necessary to find a 200 inch deer I'd do the same thing. Great article on this guy, some might not like him since he baits, but he's figured something out being one of few hunters who have killed three deer over 200 inches on unfenced land. He also killed his latest deer and perhaps the others, I forget, with a crossbow. Don't bash him on that either though as he can't use a compound bow from an injury serving in the armed forces.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/hunting/deer-hunting/finding-deer-hunt/2009/10/ohio-crossbow-hunter-rents-helicopter-

lone cedar farm
12-19-2010, 12:19 PM
That was a cool story and absolutely happy for him finding his deer after his shot by any means available. ;)

bigeight
12-19-2010, 12:26 PM
I absolutely LOVE IT!!1

If you shot and killed a deer that you cannot find, I have always said you have to do anything you POSSIBLY can to recover that animal.
For some people it is going to be searching for a week. Some people get a group of friends together and comb the area, Others it is calling in a guy with dogs to come in and search. In this guys case, he has enough money to rent a chopper.

Good for him for having the idea to do this.

Find your animal, by any means possible, by whatever resources you have access to. IMO.

scrimshaw33
12-19-2010, 12:39 PM
I'd love to read more about him and what's he's doing. He must have things "figured out" on his properties to be able to harvest three 200 inch deer, or perhaps he's just a really good "hunter."

Maroon89
12-19-2010, 12:40 PM
At first glance I thought, "another rich hunter buys a huge buck." I was very happy to be wrong. Regardless of the man's wealth or lack thereof, he exhausted all other means (tracking dog, friends, etc) before taking it to a whole other level. I don't have the means to rent a copter, but if I shot a +200" buck I'd cash in my 401K to find that buck!! Great story; notice the buck his twin brother shot too? Simply incredible!

lone cedar farm
12-19-2010, 12:48 PM
That other buck was a HOG also! :eek:

scrimshaw33
12-19-2010, 12:49 PM
He did bait the deer with not corn but apples. He tried corn (legal in OH), but the deer wouldn't come to it during daylight hours. He said he put out apples and he was "addicted" to them. Good for those of us planting apple trees.

Here's a quote from people's postings in the article by the hunter himself:

I did forget one final bit of information, I do have a regular job with a regular guys pay. I work very hard for everything I have. I dont lease ground or pay any body to take me hunting. I hunt by myself and I try to film every hunt just to keep people like you from getting the story wrong, I have this all on film, no high fences, no tags in the ears, 100% Fair Chase.

Guys, really, to help you out. Every deer I kill is 100% fair chase, I gave you SCI scores because they use the gross score, sorry if this misled you,my deer are entered into the Boone and Crocket records books, they use a net score, you can look my name up on the B&C web sight and they are registered. I hunt with a crossbow because of a military injury in 1992, I have had 2 reconstructive rotator cup surgeries on my right shoulder and 1 on my left. I have 60% mobility in my right shoulder. I can not draw a bow back without severe pain. Sorry for the weapon I choose. As for baiting, last I checked it is legal in the State of Ohio, sorry it is not in your state. As for thinking these deer are stupid and live around humans on a daily basis, your crazy, they are twice as smart as the big woods deer. I would bet my life on it. I killed this deer on a 240 acre farm. No housing developments,apartment buildings or shopping malls. My first 200 I killed in Licking County which is all big woods and some farm fields. So just to correct you that they are not all urban deer. I used a helicopter 1 time in my life to recover a dead deer in my crp field, if you shot a 200 inch whitetail, you would have rented a helicopter too. I can't stand the fact that I have achieved such a great feat here and people are so negative about it. You all use trail cameras, you just may not have the hunting ground I have that produces these deer,. This deer was aged at 4 1/2 years old, they do get big really fast in this area. I dont want to be hated, please stop the foolish chatter about something you don't know anything about, it's rediculous.

Steve Esker

bigeight
12-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Starting to like this guy more and more:)

bigmike
12-19-2010, 02:43 PM
thats a great story!
i don't know why people get all worked up about hunting with crossbows or hunting over bait. we all hunt with compound bows. how primitive is that? we all hunt with inline muzzleloaders, capable of a 200 yard shot. how primitive is that? we plant and hunt over fruit trees. whats the difference in that and throwing out a bag of corn? we spend thousands a year in hunting leases and equipment. whats the difference in that and renting a helicopter to recover a huge buck? we spend hundreds of thousands of dollars for farms and equipment to manicure to grow deer and hopefully kill a big buck. so the guy drop a grand to recover a 200" deer? everyone of us would do it. come on, this guy is just hardcore!

wolc123
12-19-2010, 07:57 PM
That makes you wonder how many deer are lost every year. Had it not been for the chopper, in spite of a double lung/heart hit, that one would have been coyote food. I wonder how that venison tasted after 24 hours with the guts still in. For me at least, the meat is more important than the horns and if it went bad I would get sick every time I looked at the mount.

MDuffy
12-20-2010, 12:23 AM
I lost a 150" 10 point in 2008. About 99% sure he died. I would have sold my left kidney to rent a helicopter if I thought I could have found him.

Like others have said, at all costs.

MDuffy
12-20-2010, 12:24 AM
PS Pretty sure if I would have known about Blood Glow back then I would have found him.

EddieC
12-20-2010, 01:16 PM
Very entertaining story. Very well done with all the photos.