PDA

View Full Version : Saddles

bigmike
12-13-2010, 08:44 PM
so on the west side of our property there is a gnarly creek bottom. by gnarly i mean rocks. nasty gnarly rocks. its hard for me to walk across it and it runs the length of the property. so the bulk of our land is on the east side of this creek bed. the creekbed is a wet weather creek and did i mention gnarly. the west side is an oak ridge leading up to a neighbors property towards the top. i feel like the deer would use the area more if it were easier for them to cross back and forth acoss the creek.(gnarly)
so i have this plan of dragging a big culvert pipe down there and putting it in the creekbed and covering it with dirt to create a saddle, if you will. what do you guys think of that idea? that way they could readily walk back and forth across the gnarly creekbed.

bigeight
12-13-2010, 08:56 PM
So, you would be just making a easy path across the Rocky-Gnarly-Ravine?

Seems like it would work and they would find it quickly, I wouldn't think they would like to cross the rocks as frequently as a nice grassy dirt covered culvert.

I would try to create a major bedding area on one side and directly across from a plot, or feeding area with the culvert in between. You would have a major crossing there in a few years!!

I think it would work!!

bigmike
12-13-2010, 09:02 PM
part of the plan is to have the east side of that area clearcut as a bedding area. i'm thinking it would be a huge improvement to an otherwise mediocre area.

Thump1
12-13-2010, 09:04 PM
My ravines probably aren't as bad as your gnarly bottom. I use culverts just to make easier crossings - usually it's a place where some deer were crossing anyway but if I make it easier then it becomes a hot crossing. I prefer to say that deer are energy efficient rather than calling them lazy but the end result is the same.:D

brushpile
12-13-2010, 09:34 PM
Along my small river, deer pick the easiest crossing, from low bank to low bank, so I think your plan has a good chance of working once deer get used to it.

criggster
12-13-2010, 10:04 PM
It might work. My neighbor has a culvert pipe that lays across the creek. The only animal I've ever seen cross it was a gobbler I called in and killed two springs ago. All of the deer cross on either side of it, but it is a different situation than yours.