PDA

View Full Version : Thuja Green Giant The Fastest Growing Privacy Evergreen

VA2
12-11-2010, 07:48 PM
What do you all think about these trees?
http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/ThujaGiant.htm

http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/images/P/ThujaGreenGiant-01.jpg

lone cedar farm
12-11-2010, 07:55 PM
I think I'd like to add these to 80+ Leland cyprese I have already!

bigmike
12-11-2010, 07:56 PM
i planted some a couple years ago as a privacy screen in my yard. they were about 8" tall when i bought them off ebay. i put irrigation on them last summer. most of them are about 36" now. hopefully they'll really take off now being its the third year in the ground.

smsmith
12-11-2010, 08:01 PM
I think they are nice trees, but don't buy into the fast growth rate b.s.

I've got some going on 4 years old - the tallest is perhaps 2.5'. They are planted in a natural setting so I didn't expect to get the kind of growth that's advertised. I did expect them to grow faster than white cedars, but right now I'd say they're about the same.

If you could plant them in a spot where you could put in a drip irrigation system, mulch them heavily and fertilize them regularly - I'd guess you could approach the growth rates. I think being in zone 5-7 would help too.

bigmike
12-11-2010, 08:05 PM
sms, how big were yours when you bought them? we got so dry here in virginia i started watering them to get them on the move. i put some
10-10-10 on them last spring too.

smsmith
12-11-2010, 08:11 PM
8-12" - I bought them from Botany Shop as "plugs"

bigmike
12-11-2010, 08:30 PM
mine were in 2" peat pots. i thought they'd grow faster than they are but i guess when they start that small it takes a while to get going.

brushpile
12-11-2010, 09:30 PM
I follow Stuart's lead on lots of stuff, and he pointed me toward The Botony Shop, which is about 90 miles down the road in Joplin, MO. Last Spring I had full intensions of planting a row for a privacy screen, and had several discussions with the people at the Botany Shop. They stressed that Thuja Green Giant needs to be watered.

My drought started in April, so I never bought any, and think I'll stick with something more drought tolerant like Red cedar and Pine.

Thuja Green Giant is a cross between Thuja Plicatai (Western Red Cedar),

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=THPL

and Thuja Standishi, at tree that grows on Japanese Islands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thuja_standishii

So, it's a cross between Western Red Cedar, and a Japanese tree. It's basically a yard tree, and needs to be watered. It might work fine in some areas, and not in others. I know I'm too dry, unless I plant it by the house where it can be watered.

scrimshaw33
12-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Just like leylands, they will get bagworms which can destroy the trees. Otherwise they're a good tree, but red cedar is best due to disease resistance.

sacco
12-11-2010, 10:57 PM
i think that fastgrowingtrees website really exaggerates growth rates and winter hardiness.
there are much better sources of trees that shoot straight IMO

scrimshaw33
12-11-2010, 11:47 PM
They are an excellent tree. Those along with Leyland cypress will grow 3 foot easy per year without a doubt. However, they typically don't put on this type of growth until the third year....remember they sleep, creep and leap! Here in NC we can get 3 gallon plants for $6 which is on the money if you really want to a quick screen. For smaller plants check out SC state forestry where you can get plants for around a buck. I'm planting thugas and leylands around all my stands for quick cover.

Massey135
12-12-2010, 09:36 AM
As with most evergreens, they take awhile to get their roots established. If you're starting with plugs, they'll likely take 3-4 years before they really take off. If you can afford larger trees, you'll save alot of time. I bought 20 leylands from a grower in NC last year. 20 bucks for a 6 foot plant!!(these same trees are 90 bucks at lowes) They put on 3 feet in the first 14 months. One of the keys to making sure they get off to a good start is making a huge hole to put them in. Make sure you amend the soil, and mulch them. Good luck.

bigeight
12-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Seems like using them for deer habitat, or screens in deer habitat they would get hammered by deer, just like the other White Cedar species?????

I don't know that, but it seems like they would?

bigmike
12-12-2010, 02:58 PM
i have them in my yard at the edge of the woods and even in the deep snow last year nobody touched them.

somthinsmart
12-13-2010, 02:26 PM
I would recommend using the deer resistant variety. My non resistant leylands took a beating last winter before I put fencing around them. I haven't had to use any protection for the resistant variety. I'm using them for quick screening cover from the road.

smsmith
03-13-2011, 05:22 PM
Well, my "deer resistant" green giants have been cleaned out. Every last one of them have been chewed down. So much for that experiment. This is in an area with relatively low dpsm's.

I'm going back to white spruce

lone cedar farm
03-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Thats amazing to hear that deer are browsing-killing leylands and red cedars in your areas they never touch mine here. I guess if we had ya'lls winter they would. :eek: