PDA

View Full Version : when will deer eat standing corn

skillet
11-24-2010, 09:07 PM
Its nov 24 in sw ny and the deer have not touched my standing corn yet. I have a two 2 acre fields. They hit it a little toward the end of october but nothing since. We shot a small doe last weekend and found no corn in it. Very few acorns around. We have had bear in our corn several times. No bear either in the last 2 weeks. Is it the bear running them off or are the deer feeding on something else now. Two weeks ago we had a few nice buck and bear on the same camera in the same week. A couple of times only hours apart. The camera is only 40 yards off of the corn field in the woods. Any thoughts??????:confused:

whitetail fanatic
11-24-2010, 10:36 PM
My first thought was that you must have a huge acorn crop, but since you say there aren't many, the only thing I can think of is that there aren't many deer around?? What do you think your deer density is (per sq. mile)? Otherwise, I have no idea why they would not be eating it. Most places they hit it from September til the last kernal is gone. Even if there is a big acorn crop they will still usuallly eat some if it's close to cover and they don't have to travel far from cover to get to it. Is it close to cover or do they have to travel very far across open country to get to it? Close to busy roads or more secluded?

sandbur
11-24-2010, 11:02 PM
I suspect that deer do not like having the bear around. Especially deer that are not exposed to bear on a routine basis.

smsmith
11-25-2010, 12:04 AM
Any other standing corn in the area? Interesting article in this issue of QW about deer preference for different corn hybrids.

banc123
11-25-2010, 08:06 AM
Is it still standing tall or has some started to fall ? There was a few acres of corn at the farm we camp at that hadn't fallen and there was little usage. However if you've got a bear there, some should be on the ground. We've seen bear in or near a food plot and then seen deer 20 min later. Is it legal in PA to manipulate a standing crop ?

schlag
11-25-2010, 08:37 AM
If bear around with a normal population, your deer know what they are and should not be that scared of them. I had huge bear ussuage in my corn this early fall and the deer were there too. Knock down some of the corn. They usually can not resist it then.

outdoorstom
11-25-2010, 10:11 AM
I agree it's got to be the bear scaring them off. The deer have been hammering my corn for at least a month now.

UFi911
11-25-2010, 08:25 PM
My deer never touch the standing corn until after Christmas, unless I run some of it over. I'm not sure why, I've watched deer walk around in the standing corn looking for some thing to eat.

Once it gets cold enough and the other food sources go away, they magically remember how to pull a cob of corn down.

I have trail camera pictures of deer, then bear, then deer. All in a very short period of time. I kind of doubt (uneducated guess) the bears would keep them from eating it if they wanted it.

-John

Godding
11-25-2010, 08:50 PM
The deer have been using my corn plot off and on now since mid September when the spots on the dry hill sides matured a bit. I also noticed that they eat the earlier maturing variety of corn first - makes sense to me that it is ready to eat sooner. The deer also don't feed in the corn in masses when the temps are warmer - above 30 degrees. That being said it was -5 last night and I must have had 200 pictures last night and this morning on the trail cam by the edge of the corn. I also noticed bear in my corn plot and actually saw a deer run out one side of the corn and a bear the other within minutes of each other so I don't think that the bear scare the deer much in my area.

skillet
11-25-2010, 11:52 PM
They are calling for 12"s of snow this friday and saturday. That should get them into the corn:rolleyes: Just odd that they ate it early in the fall and now very little. A lot of greenbacks and time went into that corn. I would love to see the deer flocking to it. Just when you think you have the great set up bam nothing shows up and you end up scratching you head. I love trying to figure it all out.
One field is 100 yards off of a road and wooded on 3 sides and the other is 200 yards from a road and has woods on all 4 sides.

farm hunter
11-26-2010, 12:16 AM
I need snow for them to really care about my corn. You can speed it up by knocking it down - but in snow country standing corn is a pure magnet when serious snows fall - and thats the whole reason we plant it. Every so often we'll have a Mild December - and the corn seems like a waste - but boy do the deer appreciate it in Jan/Feb!

We have Soybeans too - both harvested fields with good amounts missed or spilled - and some we leave standing. As long as the snow is only a couple inches or less - they go to the beans 1st every time.

qdmohio
11-26-2010, 08:42 AM
I've got some standing corn also, and the deer have been hitting it off and on. More a few weeks ago than now. Some of it is standing tall and others have been knocked over the strong winds we had a few weeks ago. My guess is that when we start getting serious snows in the next month, they will be in it big time. At least that's what I'm hoping.

CanOpener
11-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Doesn't that suck, can't get deer to leave it alone in the spring and summer and then they won't touch it when you want them too. I can assure you that they'll be there once the "real" brutal cold weather starts hitting. They'll be there morning, noon and night and not bedding far from it either. Hang in there.

wbyman
11-26-2010, 05:01 PM
Around here[ IL.], if people or dogs are in and around the plot a lot deer will stay away. That is the only way they stay away from corn.

skillet
12-11-2010, 10:08 PM
the deer are hitting the standing corn hard now:eek: . Hunted over the 1.5 acre corn plot 3 times this week. Thursday had 12 deer in it at one time including 2 small buck. I seen more deer in one hour on stand that evening than the whole season combined. They would run across the road and though 150 yards of big timber to get into the corn 1/2 hour before dark. We have had about 15"s of snow on the ground for about 6 days. The snow has brought the deer in and even a couple of bear. Now i hope the big ten point heads to the corn before it is gone or the season runs out (ends dec21.) got the ten on trail cam last week at 11pm.
Now i wish i would have planted more corn. I am going to have to plant something that will draw the deer in when there is no snow. The 1.5 acres of clover has not been very good draw. Any suggestions? I have a 4 acre field that is mostly golden rod and has the clover planted in it now. i want to make a it destination plot. What should i plant that will draw the deer in during archery season. I want to keep the other 2 fields in corn due to stand entrance and exit. Any ideas???

Hat Trick
12-12-2010, 03:08 AM
the deer are hitting the standing corn hard now:eek: . Hunted over the 1.5 acre corn plot 3 times this week. Thursday had 12 deer in it at one time including 2 small buck. I seen more deer in one hour on stand that evening than the whole season combined. They would run across the road and though 150 yards of big timber to get into the corn 1/2 hour before dark. We have had about 15"s of snow on the ground for about 6 days. The snow has brought the deer in and even a couple of bear. Now i hope the big ten point heads to the corn before it is gone or the season runs out (ends dec21.) got the ten on trail cam last week at 11pm.
Now i wish i would have planted more corn. I am going to have to plant something that will draw the deer in when there is no snow. The 1.5 acres of clover has not been very good draw. Any suggestions? I have a 4 acre field that is mostly golden rod and has the clover planted in it now. i want to make a it destination plot. What should i plant that will draw the deer in during archery season. I want to keep the other 2 fields in corn due to stand entrance and exit. Any ideas???

Alfalfa in my opinion is the single best thing you can plant for your deer. The soil has to be right for it though.

skillet
12-12-2010, 12:02 PM
too wet on my property for alfalfa

bigmike
12-12-2010, 12:12 PM
a few years ago i planted corn and beans mixed. i let the corn stand all winter and they never did eat it. i bushhogged it in the spring and havent tried it since. i guess they found a better offer!

laurencenarcisi
12-13-2010, 05:27 PM
Tha PA rifle season ended Saturday. Which season are you talking about?

bigeight
12-13-2010, 06:04 PM
too wet on my property for alfalfa

I would have to go with a White Clover plot if you don't have any already. Great draw all year long, and easy to establish even on wet ground;)

wolc123
12-13-2010, 10:13 PM
This is the first year in many that I still have a little corn left at this time of year. Our turkey numbers are down a bit and that helps a lot but the biggest factor by far is the highest acorn numbers I have ever seen. Now we got no acorns left, deep snow, cold temperatures, and all the deer for miles around seem to be in the corn. Should make for a great late muzzleloading season.
I just watched 4-5 walk ito the corn plot 50 yards behind my window prior to typing this.

skillet
12-13-2010, 10:19 PM
My property is in ny just 4 miles from the pa boarder. I live in pa about 20 miles away.
We have 1 acre of imperial clover that is a good draw till just before ny achery starts oct 15

jdunham
12-14-2010, 10:17 AM
Depends on your location but the deer on our NY properties hammer the brassica's that time of year. I would look at that to supplement what you already have. The deer 20 miles away on our PA properties won't touch it. Tried it 3 different years. If your fields are wet brassicas may not do well anyway. Right now is when the corn shines as a food plot. It will draw every deer around depending on local agriculture, as you are finding out. Biggest key is to not let those deer in the corn know they are being hunted. Keep the pressure off and your 10 point will show with the temps we are going to have this week. Good luck.