PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Plant ID

tkopke
11-16-2010, 02:41 PM
So driving into work and home evryday I can't help but notice this tall marsh type grass that grows in the ditches. It not the cattails as it gets much higher. Has a big head to it which I assume are seeds. I notice these in the Green Bay, WI area. Sorry no pics, yet.

Anyone have a clue what I may be talking about? I have some marsh grass area and other wet areas I would think this stuff would be very good in. Would like to use as a screen from a house, and to thicken it up a bit as the marsh grass gets matted down this time of year.

Just looking for info on what it might be and if it is easy to establish.

letemgrow
11-16-2010, 02:51 PM
So driving into work and home evryday I can't help but notice this tall marsh type grass that grows in the ditches. It not the cattails as it gets much higher. Has a big head to it which I assume are seeds. I notice these in the Green Bay, WI area. Sorry no pics, yet.

Anyone have a clue what I may be talking about? I have some marsh grass area and other wet areas I would think this stuff would be very good in. Would like to use as a screen from a house, and to thicken it up a bit as the marsh grass gets matted down this time of year.

Just looking for info on what it might be and if it is easy to establish.

Make sure it is not an invasive before you go spreading it around. :)

smsmith
11-16-2010, 06:59 PM
My guess would be non-native (and EXTREMELY invasive) phragmites

tkopke
11-16-2010, 09:45 PM
Thanks Smith. You are correct I believe. It looks a lot like the picture on the MI DNR site. This is the pic on the site:

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp329/traviskopke/phragmites.jpg

Now I just need to determine if the ones I have access to are native or not. Letemgrow that is my concern as well and why I posted on this site.

smsmith
11-16-2010, 09:50 PM
There are native phragmites as well, but they are much less common and grow much less thickly than the invasives do.

Younghunter
11-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Native phragmities is pretty rare with respect to the invasive and as Stuart said, the stands are much less dense.

Being you are in the northeast... I would say it's pretty safe to say that it's the invasive variety. Green Bay has been the hot zone for invasive phragmities and it's expanded quite a bit from that area. The floodplain at the mouth of the Fox River is pretty much 100% phragmities.

-Matt