PDA

View Full Version : Any luck with Radishes?

Timber Hawk
10-15-2010, 04:01 PM
My deer the last two years wouldn't touch my turnips so I planted radishes this year anyone have any luck with them.

welder1
10-15-2010, 04:40 PM
My first year with any Brassica. I have Groundhog Forage Radish in the mix along with Purple Tops and Dwarf Essex Rape. It is all 1.5' tall, lush, beautiful and UNTOUCHED! Everyone says your deer have to develope a taste for them. We'll see. Maybe a frost on them will help.

mtfuge1984
10-15-2010, 04:47 PM
All my radishes are gone! It took the deer 1 night after the first frost to demolish the plot! :eek:

Sam16
10-15-2010, 05:01 PM
My brassicas (GH radishes, PTT, and DER) looked untouched when i left the property last weekend. We'll see how it changes over the fall.

stoney_bogg
10-15-2010, 05:30 PM
In many years of trying different food plot mixes I can say I am impressed with the deer usage of the groundhog radishes I planted in August .
I have seen deer in the mornings, early afternoon, mid afternoon and evenings.
The deer are standing in one place and eating- not just nibbling and walking thru.I will be planting more next year.
Have used WI clovers,brassicas,rye,wheat BF oats,corn,soybeans,american jointvetch,purple tops,rape dwarf essec rape.............
and I am thinking this groundhog radish is too good to be true.

Lickcreek
10-15-2010, 06:55 PM
The GHFR I planted in July have been wiped out and they are just starting on the second planting I did with winter rye on August 28th.

Three different farms and the result has been the same....dang they love that stuff! :)

Dantana
10-15-2010, 10:43 PM
The deer have been going at the oilseed radishes since August on our property. We'll see how many are left when I get up there tomorrow

paleopoint
10-15-2010, 10:43 PM
Am pleased so far.

Planted GHR...from Welters...on August 8th, in a mix with DE Rape & PT turnips. Broadcast urea 30days later.

Virtually no usage until about October 8th ...with signs of grazing on the radishes. None on the rape or turnips.

In the week since then I've seen the radishes show more obvious signs of grazing...both on the foliage & the root. Deer ARE nibbling on the turnips and rape also, but it is the radishes that are getting the most attention currently.

With just this weeks' worth of experience it appears the deer are preferring radishes at this point. Time and events will tell as the season progresses.

In balance though, nearby I have rye & winter wheat growing in now mature soybeans......and both the rye and the wheat are getting a lot of attention from deer. The animals are eating it all.

btw....I have sliced the radishes into my salads and they are good, mild, without the heat of red radishes. Sort of a slightly less crispy version of jicama.