PDA

View Full Version : Code blue -vs- Code red scent

10-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Look, the differences are obvious. Blue is straight urine from 1 deer. Red is a "mix" of estrous scents. Obvously, most would prefer Code Blue all the time. But you just don't get many hunts out of a bottle of Blue and at 15 bucks a pop, some people can find it hard to fork out a couple hundred bucks a year on piss. I personally think that scent is like a lot of other products on any market these days....avoid the gimmicks and after that....you get what you pay for.

Has anyone had success with the code red? This time of year I like to put out drippers or freshen up real scrapes when I sneak in to bait once or twice a week. It just hurts me sometimes to pour a half bottle of Blue onto the dirt every time I go back there. However, the pictures I have gotten off those same scrapes tell me to keep doing what i'm doing.

Ohio Darin
10-07-2010, 01:00 PM
I've had success with "Code Me" and the best part is it's totally free :D The deer really only smell the ammonia in urine. Also, I've read a couple places that the estrous hormones only last about 24hrs so unless the urine is straight from the deer and used right away you are wasting your time (and money).

Around here the does blow at any "doe-in-heat" product and during the rut if you have no does around then you have no deer. Never had them blow "Code Me" mock scrapes but have had bucks using them within hours. Honestly, I've found the very best thing to do around here is smell like nothing and not let anything seem out of the norm.

Good luck this year!

BSK_
10-07-2010, 10:25 PM
My urine works better than any bottled "estrus scent."

crimson n' camo
10-07-2010, 11:04 PM
Here are the two ways in which I have had success with bottled deer pee. A don't know if one is better than the other but I have had luck with Code Blue.

The first technique is to sneak into a known travel route late one evening and hang 4 or 5 balls of cotton on some saplings spaced out 30 yards or so apart across the travel area. Put them in a small pill bottle or something. A circle or a straight line, whatever best covers the area keeping in mind the wind. Sneak back out and get ready for the next morings hunt. The idea is that hopefully a buck comes through on the hunt for a hot doe sometimes during the night and crosses our scent line. He may continue on for the time being but I believe that sometimes they circle back hours later to recheck the area or may even bed up nearby. This is how I killed my first deer and I have done this with success several other times. I have also failed many times and it sucks to pour out a bottle and then not see squat!

The other way is by using a drag rag. Take and tie a small piece of cloth on the end of a few feet of twine and then tie the other end to your boots or pants leg. Soak the rag in doe in heat and then drag it behind you on the walk to your stand. The best way is to walk a little farther than usual and try to cross several deer trails on the way to your stand. Make a little figure 8 in front of your stand and then hang the rag from a limb. If a buck crosses the scent trail, sometimes they with follow it like a hound dog. It is very exciting to look back on the trail you walked in on to see one coming on a rope with his head on the ground.

I hate spending the money on it too and I don't buy much anymore. I still do get a bottle or so each year though and give it a try just for the heck of it.

As far as human urine....I think I may start a seperate thread on that one soon because I have several questions I wonder about.

SouthernStrut56
10-07-2010, 11:20 PM
A buddy of mine is a wildlife science major at Auburn. He said something one time about a group of guys doing a study on starting a community scrape with their own urine. Every time they would go to this place for research and what not, they peed in the same spot and actually started a scrape. I wasn't part of this and don't know the details, so I'm still skeptical, but there may be some truth to it. I'm sure somebody here knows a lot more about it and can give some insight. As far as scent, the only scent I use every single year is Harmon's Triple Heat in January. However, I did go out on a limb late season last year and use an entire bottle of Code Blue Estrous in a series of 3 or 4 field edge scrapes and had a busted rack 7 point come out right before dark and put his nose right into it before he died of unnatural causes.

BSK_
10-08-2010, 08:09 AM
A buddy of mine is a wildlife science major at Auburn. He said something one time about a group of guys doing a study on starting a community scrape with their own urine. Every time they would go to this place for research and what not, they peed in the same spot and actually started a scrape. I wasn't part of this and don't know the details, so I'm still skeptical, but there may be some truth to it. I'm sure somebody here knows a lot more about it and can give some insight.

Human urine as an attracant in mock scrapes has been studied for a long time. I've yet to see a study where human urine did not out-perform bottled doe estrus scent.

I've been playing with human urine in both real and mock scrapes for almost 20 years, and it is the best technique going for photo-inventorying mature bucks with trail-cameras during the hunting season. Without fail, I'm going to get pictures of the oldest bucks using a property at a mock scrape I made with my own urine versus a "real" scrape. In fact, once created, a mock scrape with human urine usually draws so much activity, nearby real scrapes go dead. Not only do they draw immediate attention, eventually a human urine mock scrape often becomes one of the hottest traditional scrape in the area, used year after year.

And you don't have to pee in the scrape over and over. One time is enough. Deer will take it over after that.

jonathan barnes
10-08-2010, 09:58 AM
As far as the drag, I take an old pair of socks and wash them in unscented detergent and hang them in a block of woods down from my house for a few months then I soak them in tinks. I then take a a pair of rubber gloves and slide them over my boots. I have had bucks literally trail me to the bottom of the tree.

dogghr
10-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Not all hunters believe in deer scents. But I have used them for 30 years with great success. Prefer to use them on a deer drag towards my stand. I have seen bucks hit these scent trails and turn right angle to follow toward my tree. Everyone has their preferences but the only scent I have not liked are the Code Blue. May just be my luck but they are the only scents that I have watched deer completely ignore. Learn to run trap lines and you will learn more about scents and scent control in one year than a lifetime of deer hunting.