PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with Apple tree order for 2011

CrazyED
10-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Hey All,
So I'm struggling to figure out what apple trees to get for 2011 spring planting.

I think I'm going to add 3 to 5 more trees. I like to have pairs of similar varieties.

I'm definitely getting 1 more goldrush to pair with the single goldrush I have now.

What other varieties should I get, here's my requirements.

Zone 3, I need something hearty. Disease Resistant is also very important, specifically against Cedar Rust as we have many cedar trees on our property. I would also like to get some trees that will fruit earlier than the goldrush. We have very sandy soil so any recommendation on rootstock would also be helpful.

I had bad luck with an Enterprise this year, I don't know if it was just the tree or something went wrong when we planted. Our Goldrush went crazy and I know rain wasn't an issue we had plenty all year long.

Lets hear it experts.

WesternNY
10-06-2010, 10:03 AM
LIBERTY would be my choice!

CrazyED
10-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Thanks guys i just emailed cummins for a quote with those types.

I think i'm gonna go for 2 libs, 1 GoldRush and 2 WP's. Next year i'll shoot for the Pristines.

Dixie Whistler
10-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Good choices. Maybe wolf river also.

Bnhpr
10-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Yellow transparent and Whitney crab will get deer visiting in early august. Reported zone 2 hardy. Wealthy comes in Sept and is supposed to be zone 2.
Puritan starts dropping in Mid-late August, and does well in Northern Maine.

UMinn cultivars, like Sweet 16 (really good apple) drops in early october. Keepsake drops mid october to mid November. Prarie spy, Mid october-mid Nov.

Look at Redfield, a red fleshed Russian crabxWolf river cross that is super hardy and disease resistant.

Nova easy gro is rated Zone 2, mid-late oct starts dropping.

Nutting Bumpus, seedling of Duchess, bred to thrive in the climate of northern Maine.

Northwest greening....the list goes on.

DeerHuntingFool
10-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Yeah, I was going to mention Wolf River too. I planted one this spring. It does sound like they take a while to bear and are difficult to train, but once they start producing - look out.

I'll third the vote for Liberty. They are excellent little apples. Goldrush is excellent also. As for Wolf River, I don't recommend it. I'm getting ready to cut down an 8 yr old Wolf River on M111. It has been pretty much worthless. Too bad, cause it's the biggest tree from that planting. Highly prone to fireblight. Large fruit, but mushy and prone to rotting on the tree. In my opinion, not a good eating apple at all. Just my $0.02!

sandbur
10-08-2010, 08:05 AM
Is Liberty zone 3 hardy? I think we have discussed this before.

I am in zone 3 and northwest greening has worked for me as well as Sweet 16. MY red prairie spy has not bloomed yet.

Hazen has been a nice apple for me. It is from North Dakota I believe and has been a natural dwarf. I seldom see it listed anymore. There is another North Dakota apple that I can not remember the name of or maybe a Saskatechewan release form years back.

Ben or others- What can you tell me about Redfield? Where to get it? Appple size and drop time?

Don Higgins
10-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Any advice for apples meeting the following criteria-

1. disease resistance (especially cedar rust)

2. low or no maintenance

3. Late ripening - October at the earliest and prefer late Oct- early Nov)

brushpile
10-08-2010, 01:19 PM

2. low or no maintenance

Here is a list of apples that ripen late.

http://www.centuryfarmorchards.com/niche/wildlife.html

You can also get late ripenning apples that are disease resistant, but low maintenance is going to be a problem. Without Maintenance, apples sucker, get bad croth angles (which cause the limbs to break under the weight of the fruit), and insects can get out of control.

For low maintenance, crabapples are probably your best bet.

Bnhpr
10-11-2010, 06:58 AM
Yep, not a lot of them with resistance to CAR though.

For low maintenance (good horizontal limbs) and about as good disease resistance as there is an apple - it would be Liberty. Problem is, they don't drop as late as you want Don.

I'm thinking Querina Florina or Galarina may be a couple more choices for late dropping/hanging late - but no idea about maintenance. I have a QF and it is a pretty vigorous tree with decent crotch angles, but it isn't bearing yet.

The only other thing I'd add about Century Farms is that many of their apples are "southern". Don't know your climate Don, but there are some from CF I wouldn't plant here. Plenty of others I would.

Florina Querina is a very good apple. I rate its taste higher than liberty. It has a slight delicious sweetness, and a strong tangy aftertaste and strong aroma. We picked and sold 5 or so bushels of them this weekend. Almost none have dropped, but bumping apples when picking, they do occasionally fall. Last year, they held into early december. They set moderately heavy crops, annually, with decent fruit size. They have a semi-spur growth habit, with little training required. Very grower friendly.

Galarina are still not ripe enough for fresh eating at my place, and you almost get roots trying to pick them off now. Maybe the best wildlife apple in existence. Until I find something better.

Ben

qdmohio
10-11-2010, 03:06 PM

2. low or no maintenance

There are plenty of varieties that meet your 1 and 3 specs, but I'm not sure there is such a thing as a low or no maintenance apple. Even "disease resistant" apples still get bothered by insects/pests. When someone comes up with a variety of apple that is liked by humans and disliked by insects and apple pests, that person will become an overnight millionaire.

I think pears fit the "low or no maintenance" requirement better than apples do. The question is, will your deer prefer pears as much as apples. Some deer do, others don't eat pears until the apples are all cleaned up.

CrazyED
10-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Well Cummins didn't have any Williams Pride on M111 so I ended up with the following.

(1) Goldrush m.111
(2) Pristine m.111
(2) Liberty m.111

Thanks for the help guys, I can't wait to expand my orchard in spring with a few more trees!

BigBuck
10-18-2010, 11:22 AM

2. low or no maintenance

Enterprise for sure.
Maybe Fireside and Keepsake too but not sure on the resistance to cedar rust.