PDA

View Full Version : First time planting rye

Joshua007
09-30-2010, 01:51 AM
I planted around 10 acres of rye the first part of Sept and looks like it is doing well. My question is what could I broadcast over the rye when I get a chance to, i will not be able to do this until mid October time frame. Is this a bad idea to let the rye grow for about a month and then try to broadcast something in it? The rye is being hammered by the deer and turkey as you can see from the exclusion cage picture and want to add something to the mix. Anybody got a suggestion, we get around 18-20 inches of rain per year in my area so things can be pretty dry. I like to see the pictures of others foodplots, so I posted some here of the rye.. Cant wait to get home and see it after being gone for a month!!! Oh yeah and get some bowhunting in also!!

Lickcreek
09-30-2010, 07:40 AM
Normally rye will fill in quickly and nothing more is needed but you do live in an arid area so growth may be a little slower.

Overseeding can be a difficult method of achieving a successful seeding when there is little or no rainfall but if you notice a rainy period coming up...the Groundhog Forage radish seeds germinate and grow well when overseeded.

You might need to add urea however....;)

Nice work on the plots....thanks for sharing your pics!

MOdeer
09-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Personally, I think your current plot is a raging success. You say the deer are hammering it now, and the exclusion cage proves that.

If you could "overseed" with rain, that would be my suggestion. Water looks to be your limiting factor, but the rye is doing well. Not all food plots grow to thick and lush fields of green, because the deer won't leave them along.

"Plant" yourself in a stand with your bow, and enjoy the hunting. You should see plenty of deer if they are browsing down 10 acres of rye like that. Good luck!