PDA

View Full Version : Corn/Diesel mix for Hogs?

letemgrow
09-21-2010, 10:19 AM
There any truth to using corn soaked in diesel to kill hogs? I have heard that they will eat the corn, but nothing else will. Looking for suggestions for my buddies place near Urich, MO. He got 7 sows and a boar on camera recently and I told him he needs to bring out all the stops to hopefully kill what he has on the property while his neighbors do the same and keep after them.

Apparently the Adrain Wildlife Reserve flooded and that is the apparent source for these hogs. That happened back in 2003 so I fear that there are MANY MANY hogs for them to deal with. Thoughts?

tyler0421
09-21-2010, 10:25 AM
I don't know if they will eat it but they love to wollow in diesel.

letemgrow
09-21-2010, 10:29 AM
I don't know if they will eat it but they love to wollow in diesel.

They have probably learned that the diesel keep the bugs away. Use that for my cattle mixed with permethrin to keep the flies off them.

shack
09-21-2010, 11:52 AM
I was told to bait my hog trap with corn soaked in diesel. I haven't tried it yet, but I will let everyone know if it works.

SILAS79
09-21-2010, 12:14 PM
the diesel does not kill the hogs. It is a good thing to put diesel on your corn in a hog trap, because the deer will not enter the trap and get stuck and die. If you bait a hog trap without putting diesel on the corn deer will enter the trap and get hung up on the fencing, trust me there is no way to get a live deer out of a hog trap without it injuring itself. The hogs do like to rub on the diesel to keep the bugs off they also like to eat the corn with diesel on it.

crimson n' camo
09-21-2010, 01:47 PM
You can also use Timick as a highly effective means of killing coyotes but it is majorly frowned upon by the EPA. You might want to check your local laws on the diesal and corn issue. Especially if you are pouring it out near a stream or something. This may not be an issue but it could be seen as environmentally unsound. Just a thought. That first sentence was just sacrasm..... do not ever do that. :)

SILAS79
09-21-2010, 02:00 PM
Members on my lease have personally been told by a game warden to put diesel on the corn when trapping hogs. This was after we had to call him cause we needed to euthanise a fawn and momma doe after both had necks and legs stuck in the fencing of a trap.

bruiser73
09-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Hogs love diesel to eat and to roll in it, it definitely won't kill them.

The best way for mass executions of hogs is to use a round pen type trap. This has an enter at will gate that they can not push out. Depeding on the size of the trap you could catch several and then just go to shooting them. The only problem is they are semi permanent and not easy to move.

There is a message board that I visit called www.TexasBoars.com. This has all the information you could possibly need to know about hunting, trapping and killing wild hogs.

Redonthehead
09-21-2010, 05:04 PM
buddy of mine got to ride along with the MDC on a helocopter hog shooting spree up there in the Urich area. I highly suggest your buddy get the MDC on the horn and have them ride again. They round 'em up and hover over them with shotgun with buckshot.

letemgrow
09-21-2010, 05:13 PM
buddy of mine got to ride along with the MDC on a helocopter hog shooting spree up there in the Urich area. I highly suggest your buddy get the MDC on the horn and have them ride again. They round 'em up and hover over them with shotgun with buckshot.

I want in on that!!! :D

bruiser73
09-21-2010, 06:18 PM
I want in on that!!! :D

I know there are private groups that do this in Texas. They just get everything cleared through TPWD. From what I hear if you are the land owner or the land owner asks you to come along it's all then you can participate in the shooting.

banc123
09-21-2010, 06:31 PM
I heard from a southern hog trapper, if you soak the corn in beer or Everclear 190 proof they are much easier to hunt and capture when drunk. Some might even pass out. :D

cckw
09-21-2010, 10:53 PM
In case it needs more reinforcement, the diesel is to keep away deer and coons. not only for a trap but for a hunting feeder. diesel may kill them eventually, but who can afford that much diesel and corn :)

letemgrow
09-22-2010, 03:12 PM
In case it needs more reinforcement, the diesel is to keep away deer and coons. not only for a trap but for a hunting feeder. diesel may kill them eventually, but who can afford that much diesel and corn :)

Sounds like a little poison should be mixed in with the corn/diesel since only hogs will eat it then. Quick way to kill them all!!!

BeaverCreekhunter
09-22-2010, 05:50 PM
Sounds like a little poison should be mixed in with the corn/diesel since only hogs will eat it then. Quick way to kill them all!!!

I guy around here tried that for turkeys with corn and anti-freeze. They threw the book at him.

letemgrow
09-22-2010, 06:03 PM
I guy around here tried that for turkeys with corn and anti-freeze. They threw the book at him.

Well clear it with the state first of course, but it sure sounds like a very viable option to really put the hammer on the hogs.

MDuffy
09-22-2010, 06:25 PM

How does a turkey throw a book?:D :D

bruiser73
09-22-2010, 10:32 PM

Yeah, even keeping hogs trapped without access to food, water and shade can get you in big trouble.

I also know guys who have baited homemade land mines (5 gallon buckets filled with sand, gun powder and nails) to eradicate the hogs.

FloridaBoy
09-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Yeah, even keeping hogs trapped without access to food, water and shade can get you in big trouble.

I also know guys who have baited homemade land mines (5 gallon buckets filled with sand, gun powder and nails) to eradicate the hogs.

I wonder what Homeland Security would have to say about that idea :p

banc123
09-23-2010, 07:09 AM
I wonder what Homeland Security would have to say about that idea :p

Probably welcome to your new home its 8X5 and the only windows are in your mind.

banc123
09-23-2010, 07:10 AM
You'd think they'd come up with hog birth control.

Ducks'n'Bucks
09-23-2010, 07:44 AM

LMAO! Hog hunting with IEDs:D

SILAS79
09-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Banc,

Texas A&M researchers have been working on this,

problems they are encountering

making sure it doesnt affect birth control of other wildlife
dosn't spread to humans after consuming the meat
delivery methods....

I too have thought of the landmind technique but very dangerous to everyone involved not to mention if it where to damage any pine trees on our leased land I would be responsible for full market value of said trees! ouch!

Best most ethical options ive had so far are my remington r-15 I take one solid neck shot then empty the magazine Rambo style as the rest scatter away. And of course trapping.

crimson n' camo
09-23-2010, 12:08 PM
If you ever have a group come up on you.....try to take out the big ones first. My buddy had 2 sows and 10 little ones come up on him one day. He shot the 2 big ones and the others didn't know what to do. They just ran around in a small area until he capped them all. I almost accomplished this one day but I let one of the big hogs get away and all the little ones followed in a line...... Skint back!!!

Land Owner
09-23-2010, 02:31 PM
I don't want anything in a hog that is not fit to eat...in particular diesel fuel. If it was such a good attractant, then why don't they rip the dirt beneath my tractor when I leave it on the property?

If you are looking for an attractant to use along with corn:
1. cut a portion of a one-gallon plastic milk jug
2. Fill the jug with mostly whole kernel corn
3. Fill the jug with water
4. suspend the jug off the ground
5. In two days the corn will sour and the smell will permeate the woods
6. The hogs will find it provided the hogs are in the neighborhood.
7. Happens EVERY time.

No "bad stuff" in hogs that I am going to clean and eat or give away for someone else to eat. Hogs are FOOD. Perhaps they exhibit a bit of lead deficiency, but that is fixed right quick.

aerospacefarmer
09-23-2010, 04:40 PM
Man I hope we dont get hogs up here in the north because none of us could be so eloquent about describing what Y'all (did I get that right guys) want to do with them or some of the unique phrases used in describing your disdain for them!! I love it how you are all so passionate about getting those suckers!! I think we would all be out the saying "here piggly wiggly come out come out wherever you are" !!!! LOL

Land Owner
09-23-2010, 04:53 PM
I downloaded and reviewed the QDMA Whitetailed Report 2010 (from the QDMA Front Page). Twenty-eight (28) pages back is a report on the Feral Hog with a Range Map comparison between 1982 and 2004. My State (FL) is blanketed with them. No way to change that thanks to Hernando de Sota who brought them here from Spain in 1539. They had a pretty long "Head Start".

So we "Go with the Flow". The Regs say they are "domesticated wildlife" and "belong to the land owner upon which they occur". On Management Land there is a season, no size limit, but bag restrictions, and other regulations. On Private land they may be hunted 24/7/365 with most every weapon made. What better way to spend the YEAR between deer, duck and turkey seasons than to KEEP SHOOTING HOGS? BTW, they taste REAL GOOD too!

Pork! It's the other White Meat.

Tap
09-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Man I hope we dont get hogs up here in the north because none of us could be so eloquent about describing what Y'all (did I get that right guys) want to do with them or some of the unique phrases used in describing your disdain for them!! I love it how you are all so passionate about getting those suckers!! I think we would all be out the saying "here piggly wiggly come out come out wherever you are" !!!! LOL

Pa DOES have some hogs. The game comm actually prohibited the shooting of them in 2 counties for a while last year so the hogs weren't disrupted while they conducted trapping operations. Better to keep them calm and together, I guess. We don't have them around me, YET. But I imagine that we will someday. I you see one...KILL IT.

DeltaDog
09-23-2010, 10:35 PM

Y'all got it exactly rite, aero! ;)

As for the mentions of poisons, explosives, etc... and the book throwing turkeys, and EPA's / Homeland Security's views on such actions, let's just say that some things are better left done, and not mentioned.

winterquartersmgr
09-23-2010, 10:52 PM
I just killed a 155 lbs sow a couple weeks ago and two others got away:( I really wanted to get all 3 but 1 was a start.

FloridaBoy
09-24-2010, 06:15 AM
Y'all (did I get that right guys)

Actually, when you are dealing with this many people, it's "All Y'all" :p

aerospacefarmer
09-24-2010, 08:53 AM
Y'all got it exactly rite, aero! ;)

As for the mentions of poisons, explosives, etc... and the book throwing turkeys, and EPA's / Homeland Security's views on such actions, let's just say that some things are better left done, and not mentioned.

Thanks Delta and you have the perfect southern name!!! love it!! If I see a hog in PA I would love to cap his butt however if I did that with all the loose animals I see in my fields I would have had 3 dairy cows in the freezer now. They broke loose out of the neighbors pasture and when I went to check my fields from my deck after a few glasses of wine I saw them and ......well I said I better lay off the wine haha but the next morning they were there again and ran into the woods when they saw my dogs. The neighbor found all 3 about 4 hours later over 1/2 mile away.

aerospacefarmer
09-24-2010, 08:54 AM
Actually, when you are dealing with this many people, it's "All Y'all" :p

I love all y'all then LOL