PDA

View Full Version : Switchgrass and Nitrogen

hrcarver
08-28-2010, 01:09 PM
Just got some soil sample results back for some switchgrass I plan to plant late next winter. They recommend almost enough N to raise a corn crop?

Is N going to help anything but the weeds?

criggster
08-28-2010, 04:42 PM
Just got some soil sample results back for some switchgrass I plan to plant late next winter. They recommend almost enough N to raise a corn crop?

Is N going to help anything but the weeds?

Nope, you do not want to add N tou your planting the first year. The test recommendations are for biofuel where you will would be harvesting it. And, most likely you don't need it at all. I added the P and K my soil test called for last winter. I killed the sod, frost seeded, sprayed gly and atrazine in the spring and with a wetter and warmer than normal summer I have switch that is 5' tall the first year! I will not be needing any N at all.

Alpha Doe
08-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Yep...prolly best to skip the N for the first year. Let the switch get established without a bunch of weeds on roids to compete against. Wait till year two or three at least. :D

Lickcreek
08-28-2010, 09:40 PM
I would also add that several people you DID use urea the first year had the such rapid growth that the switch then went flat as a pancake because of weak spindly stems.

Correct P&K levels and control weeds and you'll be far better off...:)

hrcarver
08-29-2010, 07:29 AM
That's what I thought, thanks yall for verifying.