PDA

View Full Version : Bad Boy Buggie battery question

HuntIL2
08-27-2010, 08:02 AM
We are considering a Bad Boy Buggie for our hunting property and have a question regarding the batteries. Does anyone know if we leave it stored over the winter (let's say a 2 month period) without it being hooked up to a charger will the batteries go bad when we go to try and charge them in the spring? The reason I ask is we don't have a great power source and so I'm worried that if we go for an extended period without keeping them fully charged the batteries will just go bad and we'll have to spend $$$$ to repalce them every season. Thanks

psu08
08-27-2010, 08:14 AM
Don't have a BBB, but if the batteries are removable, you could always take them home with you and hook them up to a battery tender over the winter. Used to do that with an ATV we kept at camp if it was going to sit for a decent period of time.

M.Magis
08-27-2010, 08:15 AM
They’re just plain 6v deep cycle batteries, so they just need treated like regular batteries. Go ahead and charge them before storing and they’ll be fine. Check the water level regularly.
Taking the batteries out would be nice, but it's not practical. At least to me it's not.

Alpha Doe
08-27-2010, 08:21 AM
First thing...if you don't have a good power source, that would be my first red flag. You need to be able to charge it often. If you are on hilly ground, more than one person riding at a time, hauling equipment, muddy ground, low air pressure in the tires...these things all deplete battery life quickly. If we are on the move, we can get about 2.5 miles per charge from ours...yes our batteries are older, but yours will get older quickly.

Our buggy will hold a charge pretty good through cold weather while sitting idle. We will charge during the late winter then in the spring it will still have the charge.

Be careful when asking questions to anyone who sells them...as with anything you may get a less than truthful answer. They are not everything that they are sold as. They have trouble with getting wet, as this will cause several problems. Problems such as shorts in the batteries and throttle problems. They do get stuck in the mud...easily.

They are quiet and pretty much scent free...great for hunting.

bruiser73
08-27-2010, 09:06 AM
Be careful when asking questions to anyone who sells them...as with anything you may get a less than truthful answer. They are not everything that they are sold as. They have trouble with getting wet, as this will cause several problems. Problems such as shorts in the batteries and throttle problems. They do get stuck in the mud...easily.

We have had similiar issues. The auto brakes have failed and it has caught fire in the battery compartment. Seems to be broken down more than not.

We got ours when they first came out, so maybe they have worked out some of those kinks. Take a look around. I was at the Texas Trophy Hunter Assoc. show last week and they had about 5 different types of electric UTV's.

M.Magis
08-27-2010, 10:21 AM

Those statements Iím sure are true in your case, but itís not accurate to make them blanket statements. My dealer is honest. If he wasnít he wouldnít be my dealer. Iíve driven mine through all sorts of mud holes, creeks, snow, spring time mudÖ Iíve never had an issue. I got stuck once going through a deep, narrow creek when the front and rear both touched the bank and lifted my tires up. Thatís the only time I can recall getting stuck. I use mine as 98% farm vehicle, 2% hunting vehicle. It doesnít get babied and I wonít say there arenít quite a few things I donít like about it. But, I think most of my dislikes have been fixed in the new models, and by the other electric UTVs on the market. I just bought mine a couple years too soon. I certainly agree that if you donít have a good power source electric is not for you. You donít want to be charging one with a generator.
All that being said, if I was set on getting an electric UTV, I would look hard at other manufacturers. I havenít needed anything recently, but BBBs factory support SUCKED. I was told changes were made to make things better, but I canít say if thatís true or not. My dealer dropped them and has built a tight relationship with Stealth. They seem like nice vehicles, but Iíve only driven them around city streets.

HabitatMaker
08-27-2010, 01:13 PM
I used to own a golf cart. Same basic system...6volt bats arranged for 48 v total output.

After that experience, I would never go through that again. If I were you I would go to a local golf course and talk to the guy who does the maintenance.

Alpha Doe
08-27-2010, 01:26 PM
It's not a blanket statement..."you may", is not the same as "you will", which would be a blanket statement.

Alpha Doe
08-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Go to your dealer...ask to see the repair shop. Then just so happen to talk to the repair guy...ask him what some of the issues are with them, that may help you to make your decision.

Alpha Doe
08-27-2010, 01:37 PM
We have had similiar issues. The auto brakes have failed and it has caught fire in the battery compartment. Seems to be broken down more than not.

We must have the same model...The Lemon. Last time it died I was pulling a little broadcast spreader...noticed a funny smell, noticed a little smoke, noticed the seat getting hot. :mad: We had our Bad Buggy go through the wall of the shed and half way out the back. At times there is no need to press the throttle...just turn the key and away she goes. Just better decide if you want to go forward or reverse before turning the key...:D

M.Magis
08-27-2010, 02:09 PM
We had our Bad Buggy go through the wall of the shed and half way out the back. At times there is no need to press the throttle...just turn the key and away she goes. Just better decide if you want to go forward or reverse before turning the key...:D

Iíve seen you mention this before, and I recall asking if your dealer has ever informed you of the recall to fix that problem. I donít remember if you ever answered, but apparently the answer is no. There was a recall issued at least two years ago to fix that issue. I would highly suggest you find another dealer and get that fixed ASAP.

M.Magis
08-27-2010, 02:11 PM
It's not a blanket statement..."you may", is not the same as "you will", which would be a blanket statement.

You're right, I should have excluded that part. These are the "blanket statements" I was referring to.

They have trouble with getting wet, as this will cause several problems. Problems such as shorts in the batteries and throttle problems. They do get stuck in the mud...easily.

Thump1
08-27-2010, 02:46 PM
At times there is no need to press the throttle...just turn the key and away she goes. Just better decide if you want to go forward or reverse before turning the key...:D

AD,
I know it shouldn't be, but forgive me Lord, that's funny. I have a different problem - the brakes on mine won't hold. I'm ready to trade my wood block for an anchor. I haven't seen a recall for brakes, maybe wood blocks should be offered as an OEM option.

Definitely can stick them in mud. With caution I haven't but my daughter buried it to the floorboard and it didn't take much. She stopped spinning and the weight just seemed to sink it. Wisk I had wider tires but then I would want power steering and on and on.

Biggest issue for me is that awful suspension and throttle combination. I haven't driven a new buggy but it seems like the new design addresses the suspension issue.

With all my/the complaints, BBB's are sure fun cruisers for watching critters or hunting.

To avoid totally jacking the thread. In IL I don't have problem with the BBB battery draining in the winter. Perhaps a solar trickle charger could work for the original poster.

BAITIN
08-28-2010, 10:18 PM
I built my own "buggy" and it works out pretty good. I bought a 2004 club car that is a 48 bolt 2 wheel drive and installed a lift, high torque motor and 22 inch tires and it goes most anywhere i need to go when hunting. It is by no means an ATV like my rubicon but the buggy is quiet and is very string with the high torque motor. I have less then $2000 in the thing so I can't complain and the kids LOVE it. One of the guys in the club i am in has a Bad Boy and so far I can't see the Bad Boy being any better and dang sure can't see the price difference. My club car will go faster and pull hills better with 4 people on it than the BB with 2 on it. This past weekend we were all down there for a work day and it was surprising to say the least. The torque makes all the difference with the larger tires.

Roger
08-28-2010, 11:20 PM
I built my own "buggy" and it works out pretty good. I bought a 2004 club car that is a 48 bolt 2 wheel drive and installed a lift, high torque motor and 22 inch tires and it goes most anywhere i need to go when hunting. It is by no means an ATV like my rubicon but the buggy is quiet and is very string with the high torque motor. I have less then $2000 in the thing so I can't complain and the kids LOVE it. One of the guys in the club i am in has a Bad Boy and so far I can't see the Bad Boy being any better and dang sure can't see the price difference. My club car will go faster and pull hills better with 4 people on it than the BB with 2 on it. This past weekend we were all down there for a work day and it was surprising to say the least. The torque makes all the difference with the larger tires.

Will you build me one?

BAITIN
08-29-2010, 12:06 AM
I will sell you mine and just build me another it you really want one. Here in SC you can get a good used cart for 1000 and the lift is 200, tires are 2-300 and there is a company in SC that builds motors for 250. There is nothing major involved and everything can be bought online and its all nuts and bolts installs, nothing in depth or specialty training. Everything I have done can be done with basic hand tools and a floor jack when installing the lift. The motor was 3 bolts and 2 nuts for the power wires and I am pretty sure everyone knows how to change tires?????????????????

bjthoele
08-29-2010, 11:42 AM
I rode a BBB and a Stealth 4x4 down in Arkansas when I was there for a hog hunt. Personally, liked the Stealth much better.

As for charging, we were there for 3 days and they would plug them in every night.

I would think the batteries would be OK sitting so long as they get a good charging before the 1st use again.

BAITN....can you post up some pics and info on your homemade buggy project on a different thread so we don't hijack this one. Sounds like a fun and beneficial winter project post hunting season.

sboone270
08-30-2010, 12:27 PM
I am on BBB # 3.

1st was a piece of junk. The older models had an electrical box without a drain, which caused a lot of electrical issues when water would get into the box. Funny story (at least it's funny now).....my dad ran the BBB through our skinning shed with it running wide open. He started the buggy and due to the short it just took off without his foot on the accelerator. I took BBB back to dealer and he "fixed". I got it back to camp and unloaded it and it ran about 100yds and then died. I turned it off and when I turned it back on it took off again and full throttle. I called BBB corp and complained and they called dealer and told him to give me a new one.

The day I picked up BBB #2 I trailered to my property, unloaded and drove about 200yds and the front axle broke in half and front passenger wheel went rolling down the road:D Needless to say, I wasn't a very happy camper when I called BBB corp for the 2nd time. After talking to several people at BBB they agreed to deliver me a brand new BBB, but this time it would be a newer model that had not yet been released.

This will be my 3rd hunting season with BBB #3 and besides the brakes going out a couple of times I haven't had any other issues. The electrical issues seem to have been addressed and battery life is 10x better. I have taken BBB # 3 to Nebraska twice and have been really happy with the way the batteries held up in 0-10 degree weather. I do charge the BBB at night, but charge will last all day. In AL, I can hunt all weekend on single charge.

I also own a Polaris Ranger and prefer using it during the off season when working on property, but do not use it on property during deer season due to noise and exhaust.

In my opinion, electric 4X4 golf carts are the only way to go (besides walking) if you are serious about keeping the pressure down on your hunting land.

Alpha Doe
08-30-2010, 02:59 PM
I’ve seen you mention this before, and I recall asking if your dealer has ever informed you of the recall to fix that problem. I don’t remember if you ever answered, but apparently the answer is no. There was a recall issued at least two years ago to fix that issue. I would highly suggest you find another dealer and get that fixed ASAP.

Oh, we have had it fixed several times. As a matter of fact it just started doing it again...and like sboone, we are calling corp headquarters, again! So, I guess if we are going through corp headquarters maybe we should still find a different dealer? I think maybe a different type of electric vehicle.

Glad you got a good one...seems to be kinda hit and miss. Therefore, I would never ever recommend a BBB to anyone. :)

I believe we are on BBB #3.

M.Magis
08-30-2010, 04:01 PM
So, I guess if we are going through corp headquarters maybe we should still find a different dealer? I think maybe a different type of electric vehicle.

I would.
I had no luck with getting help from headquarters. I was told everything must go through a dealer, and I didnít have one.

PA SILVERBACK
08-30-2010, 04:14 PM
After watching My Buddy deal with His Maintenance on the BBB..I bought a Ranger ;)

bjthoele
08-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Seems as though 3 is the magic number. The hog outfitter I used in Arkansas was on his third one as well. As stated prior he went a bought a Stealth 4x4 in the meantime.

Hit and miss seems to be the trend here and for what they cost I would think long and hard about it before buying one.

What about the new Ranger EV? Polaris makes a superior product in the gas Ranger models so assuming their electric version must be decent but haven't spoke to many that have personal experience with them.