PDA

View Full Version : Beginner

ollie095
12-29-2005, 01:44 PM
Hey there guys, my name's Pete and I'm a 19yr old college sophomore. I plan on majoring in Biology and would like to pursue wildlife and land management after I graduate. I have bought Wildlife and Woodlot Management by Monte Burch and am in the process of reading it but I dont understand some of it, such as hack and squirt. What are its benefits compared to just cutting the tree down? There are lots of other things I need to know but if any of you guys can let me in on the tricks of the trade or where I can start on my own after I graduate, lemme know! Thanks!

PYseeker
12-29-2005, 03:02 PM
Ollie,

The benefit of hack and squirt is to kill the tree to were it wont come up again. With some trees if you just cut them down the stumps will regenerate new growth. If you treat the stump or hacked part of the tree it will completely kill it.

Bob S
12-29-2005, 03:10 PM
I prefer to cut trees down. But, hack and squirt can be useful on trees that are too large to cut and drop safely. Also on trees near a property line that might fall on a neighbors property. An advantage to hack and squirt is it allows you to leave the tree standing for birds and small animals that will nest in the cavity of dead trees.

A great source for whitetail deer management and habitat information is Quality Whitetails magazine. You can get 6 issues of QW annually with a QDMA membership.

asmith
12-29-2005, 04:18 PM
ollie, both methods of killing trees have pros and cons. If you don't own a chain saw then hack squirt will save several hundred dollars. Also, consider that a chainsaw is a dangerous tool. Even experienced people get badly cut with them. In cutting a tree down, many species require the stump to be sprayed to prevent regrowth/sprouting. Felling trees by chainsaw is dangerous, and can tear up the saw if one is not careful. Sometimes there isn't a good place to drop a tree, so hack squirt is better. Then the tree dies, begins to rot, and my experience has been that the smaller limbs fall off first, progressing to the larger limbs slowly over time. I've done a little of both methods, and can't say I prefer one over the other, just depends on location, how thick the surrounding brush is to move around in. Hope you do well in this career.