PDA

View Full Version : Switch grass Maintenance ?

BC Buck
08-10-2010, 07:30 AM
Both these fields were frost seeded in Jan of this year with Cave in Rock.

Field one has pretty good stand going. Switch is about 3' tall with med heavy Foxtail about 3.5' tall. Was cut first of July.

Field two has heavy Foxtail up to 4'tall and I have never found even one blade of Switch grass in it. I cut it also first of July.
Should I cut both these fields and at what height.

Alpha Doe
08-10-2010, 08:07 AM
We have a thick stand of foxtail this year in our frost seeded switchgrass...same as last year's plantings. Last year, we mowed the foxtail two times in one plot, and 0 times in another. I'm not sure what the dates were for mowing plot #1. I do know that the foxtail/switchgrass had time to grow again to about 3-4 ft. tall before fall/winter.

Each stand is awesome this year with just light foxtail.

This year we have mowed 3 times on a couple of new switchgrass plots. We are done mowing for the year. We like to have some tall cover going into the season...so we will leave the foxtail/switchgrass grow now.

As far as mower height...we just mow as high as we can. Somewhere around8-10 inches.

You can continue to mow yours...keep your mower as high as you can.

Next year, if need be, we will use some Paramount herbicide. It is safe to use on switchgrass and will kill foxtail. So, that may be an option for you as well.

BC Buck
08-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Thanks for your input Alpha Doe. Its amassing the stand difference form one field to another. All variables are exactly the same and one stand is great and the other one appears to look like a complete failure. It will be interesting to see what next year will bring.